Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR/MTL] Habs accept Kotkaniemi offer sheet (1 year, $6.1M), 2022 1st, 2022 3rd [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
tell me the Mythical contract that Montreal doesn't match that Kotkaniemi ends up a 'Cane that isn't an overpay. (I won't hold my breath)

It's not impossible that one exists I just don't think it does.
It's just to me like LA paying Edmonton for Gretzky . Except this money went to the player not the team. since "cash" for trades isn't legal. (Anymore)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cptjeff and Fatass

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's always "Why are they talking about Kaapo Kakko when he has nothing to do with the team?"
1212080086.jpg.jpg

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Yeah keep buying this nonsense that your team actually wanted this player. Your GM was convinced the Habs would have to match after losing Danault and now looks like a fool.
Care to divulge to the world what position you hold in the Canes front office that gives you this insight? Or is this more “my cable guys says” nonsense?

Reactions: Chrispy

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Care to divulge to the world what position you hold in the Canes front office that gives you this insight? Or is this more “my cable guys says” nonsense?

What makes more sense, that your owner wanted to be petty and force the Habs hand or that your GM wants a $6.1m 4th line centre since he’s clearly behind Aho, Trocheck and Staal. Heck you can even make the argument that Stepan is better than him right now.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
What makes more sense, that your owner wanted to be petty and force the Habs hand or that your GM wants a $6.1m 4th line centre since he’s clearly behind Aho, Trocheck and Staal. Heck you can even make the argument that Stepan is better than him right now.

They wanted the 20-year-old former 3rd overall pick that they felt had more to show than what he has in Montreal thus far. That makes sense to me. And any other rational person

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
They wanted the 20-year-old former 3rd overall pick that they felt had more to show than what he has in Montreal thus far. That makes sense to me. And any other rational person

They should go get Yakupov. Former 1st overall pick. See if he can turn things around. Maybe they can save a bit and just give him $4.5m per year.

This OS doesn’t happen if the Aho one doesn’t happen. So stop pretending like the Canes are geniuses that found a diamond in the rough and that a team with great centre depth coveted one that barely makes their lineup.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
They should go get Yakupov. Former 1st overall pick. See if he can turn things around. Maybe they can save a bit and just give him $4.5m per year.

This OS doesn’t happen if the Aho one doesn’t happen. So stop pretending like the Canes are geniuses that found a diamond in the rough.

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. It's yet to be seen. But they took the opportunity that Montreal gave them.

Reactions: Ippenator

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
What makes more sense, that your owner wanted to be petty and force the Habs hand or that your GM wants a $6.1m 4th line centre since he’s clearly behind Aho, Trocheck and Staal.
Nonsense. He's not going to play center and there was never any thought given to him on the fourth line. This is not dissimilar from when Teravainen came to Carolina and moved to the wing.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Nonsense. He's not going to play center and there was never any thought given to him on the fourth line. This is not dissimilar from when Teravainen came to Carolina and moved to the wing.

So it’s even worse then. A player that hasn’t played wing in years and was drafted at 3rd specifically because he was a centre will be moved to wing.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
What makes sense is a front office that relies heavily on analytics and sees a player that was a high draft pick a few years ago with perhaps the potential to be a replacement for either Trochek if he repeats his performance this year and prices himself out of Raleigh, or perhaps even a Staal replacement further down the road.

And it’s 6.1m because you have to overpay on an OS. Gardiner will be getting surgery it seems so the cap isn’t an issue.

DW has already come out and said the plan will be to have him play in the wing so he’ll be a top 9 player and not the 4th line center.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
So it’s even worse then. A player that hasn’t played wing in years and was drafted at 3rd specifically because he was a centre will be moved to wing.
You just don't get it. Both Teravainen and Necas were drafted in the first round as centers and both successfully transitioned to Wing. Even Aho started at wing. It's a much easier position to master as a young player than C.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
You just don't get it. Both Teravainen and Necas were drafted in the first round as centers and both successfully transitioned to Wing. Even Aho started at wing. It's a much easier position to master as a young player than C.

no matter how much it looks like Kotka is struggling on the wing stick to it please - will be fun to watch him master that position

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri

lmao so they never actually discussed an extension :laugh:

imagine paying 6 million plus two draft picks to play Kotkaniemi on the wing for just one season and canes fans don’t even know how bad he is on the wing will be fun to watch Carolina a bit this year

they’re going the opposite road of Drouin they’re taking a centre and forcing him to play wing and overpaying to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad