Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR/MTL] Habs accept Kotkaniemi offer sheet (1 year, $6.1M), 2022 1st, 2022 3rd [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I'm sad to see Kotkaniemi leave. He obviously wasn't a huge success story so far, but he's a good kid who will carve himself a nice career. At this point, he probably wanted to leave though, so no point in going against his will especially with a 1 year contract and the fact that he could not have been traded. The upcoming season just got less interesting for the Habs. Dvorak is ok though he should have been an addition, not a replacement.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
People Watched the Canes front office the last 2 years and think we'll over pay a RFA/UFA.. that to me means they didn't actually watch the Hurricanes front office.

And we are currently over the cap because Dundon is cheap. You can potentially argue he spends his money unwisely but Cheap??? Get out of here with that..

Reactions: Jerkob Slavin

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
People Watched the Canes front office the last 2 years and think we'll over pay a RFA/UFA.. that to me means they didn't actually watch the Hurricanes front office.

And we are currently over the cap because Dundon is cheap. You can potentially argue he spends his money unwisely but Cheap??? Get out of here with that..

You did overpay though. Your GM was forced by your owner to be petty and it backfired.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Of course we overpaid.. You expect an offer sheet to work w/o an overpay??

Name me one offer sheet that worked (AFAIK there have been now 2..) That wasn't an overpay?
It's not like we signed Jeff Skinner or Karlsson. And owe money forever.. it's just 1 year.. And maybe it busts out.. we lose 6M of Tom Dundon's money and a first and third Sucks but more gets spent yearly in futile Stanley cup bids..

Last edited:

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
It sucks to see KK go. Such a good kid. Hope the best for him, but at the same time I kind of hope he sucks for a bit. Can't wait to see the games vs the jerks

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
You did overpay though. Your GM was forced by your owner to be petty and it backfired.
That’s how offer sheets work my dude.

you need to overpay so the players current team has to actually decide whether or not it’s worth matching the contract.

you know, like the Habs failed to do with Aho.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That’s how offer sheets work my dude.

you need to overpay so the players current team has to actually whether or not it’s worth matching the contract.

you know, like the Habs failed to do with Aho.

Overpay for good players, not 3rd liners that haven’t improved in 3 years. Especially ones you don’t need. Have fun paying established 2C money for a 3C that you’ll be forced to play on the wing. Real intelligent.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Again, if Carolina files a $4M offer sheet then Montreal likely matches:

the compensation is only a 2nd, so not enough to flip for Dvorak as they did.

the cap hit is not as onerous for 21-22 and the QO is easier to negotiate from or account for for Montreal in future seasons.

If Carolina wanted to be vindictive and petty they could have stopped at $4M. But if Carolina wanted Kotkaniemi they needed to go higher than the 2nd round compensation level. Which is what they did to get the player.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
How long is this shit flinging contest going to last before the MODS actually lock this thread? The offer sheet was not matched and the thread has become trash there really isn't anything to talk about now that the Habs got a replacement for KK. Lock this up already.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Got the player they wanted at a price they were willing to pay to force Bergevin to let him go.

What a massive backfire. How many threads are you going to carry this crap across?

Yeah keep buying this nonsense that your team actually wanted this player. Your GM was convinced the Habs would have to match after losing Danault and now looks like a fool.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Overpay for good players, not 3rd liners that haven’t improved in 3 years. Especially ones you don’t need, like the Canes.

Hey dude, I’m just happy a ‘poverty franchise’ was able to actually give Koko a decent contract. It’s just too bad that the Habs couldn’t afford to match ;)

Lol poverty franchise. The Aho offer sheet broke them financially.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I'm sad to see Kotkaniemi leave. He obviously wasn't a huge success story so far, but he's a good kid who will carve himself a nice career. At this point, he probably wanted to leave though, so no point in going against his will especially with a 1 year contract and the fact that he could not have been traded. The upcoming season just got less interesting for the Habs. Dvorak is ok though he should have been an addition, not a replacement.
It's really too bad he wanted to leave. The 2C position literally had his name etched in it, and he was likely to play with guys like Drouin, Hoffman, Gallagher. Maybe he didn't like how he was scratched in the playoffs, but it really is too bad how his career ended in Montreal. Easily a fan favorite even though he hasn't gotten close to his potential yet.

Just because I like him so much, it would be so cool to see Carolina give him some top 6 ice time. It would likely be at the expense of Nino, though, and I'm not sure that'll happen. My KK shirt is now a pajama, RIP :P

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Now maybe Carolina fans will start referring to this player by his name or even JK instead of KK which was kinda dumb in the first place.

J er K is much more suitable :laugh:
It's always "Why are they talking about Kaapo Kakko when he has nothing to do with the team?"

NotPetya

May 28, 2021
Now maybe Carolina fans will start referring to this player by his name or even JK instead of KK which was kinda dumb in the first place.

J er K is much more suitable :laugh:

Knights fan, but no less than three times did I think the topic had jumped before the KK thing sank in. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad