Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Jesperi Kotkaniemi signs offersheet with the Hurricanes (1 year, $6.100035M) [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Waddell walking into Bell Centre this upcoming season

courtroom-walking.gif

Need a poll question...who will get booed more, Nikita Kucherov or Waddell?:D

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This is win/win for Carolina. Montreal matches and they screw over the Habs with his large cap hit and he can go UFA if Montreal doesn’t qualify him. If Montreal doesn’t match then Carolina can test drive him for the year and if they don’t want to qualify him it only cost them a late 1st and 3rd. Something they would have paid at the trade deadline for a rental anyways.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
lots of fans getting their kicks here but mb INSTANTLY knew he would match and no doubt does so quickly
For that money ? Really ? He’s not worth half that deal. I don’t think it’s as easy as you think. Carolina majorly f***ing with burger van here. Love it

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
This is win/win for Carolina. Montreal matches and they screw over the Habs with his large cap hit and he can go UFA if Montreal doesn’t qualify him. If Montreal doesn’t match then Carolina can test drive him for the year and if they don’t want to qualify him it only cost them a late 1st and 3rd. Something they would have paid at the trade deadline for a rental anyways.

Ken Holland’s account everybody.

Mar 20, 2010
Now the CAR off-season makes more sense... GMDW found out that Hamilton and Nedeljkovic indicated they didn't think this was a very amusing prank when they heard about the plan.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Caroline just became my second favourite team. They aren't even trying to hide the fact that it was revenge. However this plays out, Carolina wins and Montreal loses. And Montreal actually did Carolina a favour with that offer for Aho.

Reactions: Devonator

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
But there is a reason most teams avoid Not in season LTIR I can't recall it but yes them(Montreal) fenagling the money won't be hard if that's their choice.
iirc, you don't get the whole cap hit as relief if you do offseason LTIR... someone correct me if I'm wrong

example:
day 1 of the season player X with a $5m cap hit is put on LTIR. cap savings is 5m
offseason player X is put on LTIR, you get 3.5m in relief

something like that anyways

Reactions: Tryamw

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
We all know how this is going to go: either Habs let him walk and he goes on to a massive breakout season along Aho and TT and Habs fans have to live with letting their long awaited franchise center go just a year too soon... or they keep him and its just more of the same of his last 2 regular seasons but now he has the extra pressure of this contract ruining him for good and they choose not to QO and lose him for nothing or trade his rights for a far worse return.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Paying a 1st and a 3rd for a crazy expensive player that doesn't really address a need is a win? I mean kudos to Carolina, they f***ed over MB in a good way, but still, I'm sure they are hoping the Habs match because they don't want that contract and to lose their 1st and 3rd.

Reactions: bretpatrick7

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Montreal should let him walk...he's not worth $6 mill.

Carolina is a mess. Revenge? No goaltending...this doesn't help your cap flexibility.

Wow.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Man this really puts the squeeze on Montreal. You just made the Finals so not matching is basically saying you aren’t going for the Cup, which is a bad message to the current team. Then if you do match, you have to qualify KK at 6.1M next year also when you have Suzuki to sign as well, and Suzuki’s camp will be using that number as a starting point. If they match they may not even qualify him next season. KK is looking at either a 6.1M payday next season as well, or a trip to UFA where he will be able to cash in big. Montreal really gets shafted here.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
We all know how this is going to go: either Habs let him walk and he goes on to a massive breakout season along Aho and TT and Habs fans have to live with letting their long awaited franchise center go just a year too soon... or they keep him and its just more of the same of his last 2 regular seasons but now he has the extra pressure of this contract ruining him for good and they choose not to QO and lose him for nothing or trade his rights for a far worse return.

Or he goes to Carolina and is the same player...and the grenade explodes in Carolina's face.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
When is the deadline to make offer sheet umm offers ? Carolina should have waited until the very last day to make the offer if they really wanted to screw the Habs. Closer to training camp the worse off they would be and have less time to get their roster in order .

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Paying a 1st and a 3rd for a crazy expensive player that doesn't really address a need is a win? I mean kudos to Carolina, they f***ed over MB in a good way, but still, I'm sure they are hoping the Habs match because they don't want that contract and to lose their 1st and 3rd.
sounds like CAR really likes this player and wanted him. maybe they feel they can re-sign him to a contract more in line with his level

a late 1st and 3rd aren't an outrageous cost to get your guy

and I would also guess that CAR is thinking a yr or 2 down the line where KK either grows into a top 6 center or winger (the same hope MTL has)

Reactions: Tryamw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad