GDT: car-flop

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Maybe our best buy-low ever, and we've had a lot of good-to-decent buy-lows as a franchise over the years (Jussi Jokinen, pre-injury Pitkanen, Ruutu, etc.)
I don’t really view Ruutu and to a lesser degree Pitkanen as buy low. We gave up Ladd, who was a 4th oa pick and went on to have multiple 20+G, 50+ seasons. I think we actually sold Ladd low on that deal. Iirc we gave up Erik Cole for Pitkanen, only to trade Williams to get Cole back. That Pitkanen trade was a pretty even hockey trade I thought. Pits did struggle in EDM though which probably is why he was available.

Jussi, samsonov, were buy low guys for sure. The cup team had a bunch of buy low / nobody wanted guys as well. Stillman said he signed with Carolina because nobody else wanted him. Whitney was a cast off (wasn’t Detroit even paying salary to him because of a buyout?), Commodore was another.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Wow, what a great game. It was almost excrutiating to watch- just waiting for that tying goal as the minutes ticked away.

If nothing else, this team finally has strong leadership- coach and Captain. Both put on a clinic for those young men last night and hopefully its enough to inspire them to keep winning down the stretch.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It blows my ****ing mind that the best goaltending we've had in years is a tandem of two cast offs.

I was discussing this with a friend not too long ago. I wonder how much of this is due to Brindy (and Williams)?

Goaltending is as much, if not more, mental than it is physical. In recent seasons, the Canes have been mentally a weak team. Last year, some players even said they'd go into the 3rd period and just know they were going to lose the game. That mentality just has to wear on a goalie and affect their mental game as well. This year, they really do have a "play for each other" mentality and are gaining confidence as the season progresses. Mrazek a while back lets in a bunch of goals losing a lead, comes to the locker room and tells the team it's on him. The team doesn't hesitate to say don't worry about it, we got your back. It's one thing to say it, it was another that they went out and did it. As the season progresses, he makes a number of big saves late in the game to get the win having the team's back.

The players, in turn, play better as a result. They trust their goalie and thus can play "looser" in front of him so that now, when they are down a goal or 2, all is not lost like it was the last couple of years.

I know there is no way to prove any of this, but I see a confidence with this team that I haven't seen in a long, long time in Carolina.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I was discussing this with a friend not too long ago. I wonder how much of this is due to Brindy (and Williams)?

Goaltending is as much, if not more, mental than it is physical. In recent seasons, the Canes have been mentally a weak team. Last year, some players even said they'd go into the 3rd period and just know they were going to lose the game. That mentality just has to wear on a goalie and affect their mental game as well. This year, they really do have a "play for each other" mentality and are gaining confidence as the season progresses. Mrazek a while back lets in a bunch of goals losing a lead, comes to the locker room and tells the team it's on him. The team doesn't hesitate to say don't worry about it, we got your back. It's one thing to say it, it was another that they went out and did it. As the season progresses, he makes a number of big saves late in the game to get the win having the team's back.

The players, in turn, play better as a result. They trust their goalie and thus can play "looser" in front of him so that now, when they are down a goal or 2, all is not lost like it was the last couple of years.

I know there is no way to prove any of this, but I see a confidence with this team that I haven't seen in a long, long time in Carolina.

Totally agree- it's more of a morale thing than a skill thing. The goaltenders are pumped up and have mutual support with the rest of the team. With Darling, you'd see him literally deflate after a goal and the team as well.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So basically you got drunk while Clippy did all the work. That sounds like a great class.

I remember making a reasonable reproduction of the start of the Simpsons opening credits in Power Point and absolutely blowing people’s minds.

Simpler times.

Reactions: Tryamw

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I remember making a reasonable reproduction of the start of the Simpsons opening credits in Power Point and absolutely blowing people’s minds.

Simpler times.

Dude, if you were good at PP back then you were practically considered an advanced hacker. I spent days in music class making overly intricate drawings in MS Paint. That was pre 2000. I wish I had saved those.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad