Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] F Jordan Staal signs extension with the Hurricanes (4 years, $2.9M AAV)

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
I am thinking this is excellent for a defensive monster whose two year even strength scoring is in the Eriksson Ek range. Oh wait, Lafrienere, Granlund and Kessel are in that range too. Still think this is fine.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Which is why it's nice for Carolina to get Staal extended now (if they truly did want to keep him).
Correct, nothing wrong with the deal. I also wasn't calling you out specifically, I just see a lot of "cap is going way up" posts. While it may go up, so will the salaries of pending fa/rfa so in essence overpaying is still, not prudent.

Reactions: SEALBound

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
They took advantage of him being 34 and 10 months old and not 35. They will front load the deal and he will retire after 2 years, if he gets bad. Essentially paying him like 4.5m cash for each of 2 years, and getting a 2.9m cap.
I'm not at all sure they will frontload it, especially if it's full NMC. The organization is somewhat frugal with the actual money and not in habit of giving downpayments.

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
This contract is fine. If you look at our players and circle this as the crappy one its a good sign. It'll be 3% of the cap at term.

Better 3x4 than 4x3.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I'm not at all sure they will frontload it, especially if it's full NMC. The organization is somewhat frugal with the actual money and not in habit of giving downpayments.

The idea is they know he's probably worth 3.5-4m so they pay him that in actual cash per season, but because he's retiring they don't pay any of the cash that is remaining in the last 2 seasons. It's not a down-payment, it's legal cap circumvention.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The idea is they know he's probably worth 3.5-4m so they pay him that in actual cash per season, but because he's retiring they don't pay any of the cash that is remaining in the last 2 seasons. It's not a down-payment, it's legal cap circumvention.
Yes, I got the idea, I should have been more clear about that. I'm just not thinking that the plan is to have him retire before the scheduled expiration and I'm expecting that the salary structure of the contract will back me up on that.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
They took advantage of him being 34 and 10 months old and not 35. They will front load the deal and he will retire after 2 years, if he gets bad. Essentially paying him like 4.5m cash for each of 2 years, and getting a 2.9m cap.

And yet we never see players do that. The number of players who retired under contract in the nearly two decades of the salary cap era is in the single digits. Any many of them like Datsyuk did so to play overseas on a new contract.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why are they giving a 35 year old before the season begins a 4 year deal?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

My rough napkin math says the most Carolina can front load the contract is $7m total over the first two years:

4x$2.9m = $11.6m total
year 1: $3.8m
year 2: $3.2m
year 3: $2.3m
year 4: $2.3m

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
He'll be worth more than 2.9 for the next two seasons

He could start playing like hot garbage on day 1 of this contract. Eric Staal fell right off a cliff between 35 and 36 and it's not like that's rare.

It would maybe make more sense if the Canes hadn't also signed Kotkaniemi to that nonsensical deal, ostensibly to replace Staal next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad