Confirmed Trade: [CAR/EDM] Ethan Bear for Warren Foegele

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
No I was referring to all of the pricks who said things like "send him back to the reservation".

I also saw plenty of people criticizing Bear for his play but give a pass to others on the team for just as poor of play. It isn't racism to point out his flaws as a player. It is racist to hold him to a different standard than others because he is First Nations.

I didn’t see a single post on the Oilers board directing any racist comments towards Bear. All the criticism directed towards him was due to his poor play during the last 2 playoffs. People would have been on him the same way if his name was Ethan Smith from Sherwood Park. He was actually a pretty big fan favorite until after the playoffs.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I didn’t see a single post on the Oilers board directing any racist comments towards Bear. All the criticism directed towards him was due to his poor play during the last 2 playoffs. People would have been on him the same way if his name was Ethan Smith from Sherwood Park. He was actually a pretty big fan favorite until after the playoffs.
I wasn't referring to the boards. The people on the Oilers boards might not see eye to eye all the time, but I don't think I have ever noticed any racism there either. Fans off of the boards are a different story.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I wasn't referring to the boards. The people on the Oilers boards might not see eye to eye all the time, but I don't think I have ever noticed any racism there either. Fans off of the boards are a different story.

I can see that happening on Twitter. It’s like the Wild West of the internet. I avoid the comments section on Twitter because there’s almost never anything intelligent being said.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I can see that happening on Twitter. It’s like the Wild West of the internet. I avoid the comments section on Twitter because there’s almost never anything intelligent being said.
Twitter. Facebook. Reddit. Other fan sites. I heard it in the public as well, from fans I don't know well, and don't want to get to know better. It happened a fair amount, not just through the dregs of Twitter.

One of the reasons I do my hockey talk here is that there are few of those types who show up on our boards, and when they do, they don't seem to last long.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
So you are saying that their D corps is worse than the 2010-2016 era?

I was quoting you saying this

Edmonton D is going to be epically bad this year.

Literally no one on their D could play well in an odd man situation.

I couldn't imagine a D-corps worse than their 2010-2016 period, but I guess I was wrong.

You made 3 statements, all 3 were wrong.

1) Edmonton's D is going to be epically bad this year - False.
2) Literally no on their D could play well in an odd man situation- False. I remember seeing Bouchard, Nurse and Keith do just that during the Flyers game alone.
3)I couldn't imagine a D- corps worse than their 2010-2016 period, but I guess I was wrong. - again false false and false

You made 3 statements that basically say they suck and you think they are worse than the 2010-16 era. I said you were wrong (which you are) and youre telling me now that I said the D corp is worse than the 2010-16 era? Did I misread your post? did you write the wrong thing in your original post? Or are you just trolling?

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Maybe not on the board ( I didn't see any either) but there was wide spread reports of racist comments regarding Bear after the game.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I think we have to give Holland some props for trade.

Foegele has put up some very solid numbers and, by all accounts, it very valuable in the locker room (McDavid specifically asking Holland, not to trade him).

It’s unfortunate that it’s highly unlikely the Oilers will be able to retain him, as he is due a nice bump in pay upon his contract expiration at the end of this season.

smytty

Aug 1, 2015

Foegele has put up some very solid numbers and, by all accounts, it very valuable in the locker room (McDavid specifically asking Holland, not to trade him).

It’s unfortunate that it’s highly unlikely the Oilers will be able to retain him, as he is due a nice bump in pay upon his contract expiration at the end of this season.
Holland for sure wins this deal. There's times where I mix up McDavid and Foegele, they skate similarly and are both fast and energetic. Foegele has done everything expected of him. I agree that he may have priced himself out of returning, and will be a hard hole to fill.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Holland for sure wins this deal. There's times where I mix up McDavid and Foegele, they skate similarly and are both fast and energetic. Foegele has done everything expected of him. I agree that he may have priced himself out of returning, and will be a hard hole to fill.

I thought I was the only one... it doesn't help they have numbers that end with 7 also. Janmark too also. It's when they speed up and can't keep control of the puck, I know it's not McDavid lol.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not gonna lie, I do the same.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Odd 3 year bump
True, but I gotta tip my hat to the Oilers here as a Canes fan. Total win for the Oil. Bear gave us like 20 promising games and was unplayably bad after he got COVID, and then we finally traded him with retention for a 5th. I'd take 3 quality years of Foegele easily over that.

I like the bump honestly. This was a trade that was regarded by a lot of people as "good for both sides" but it was completely one-sided in hindsight.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

Fair bump. Love me some McLovin. Canes had replacements so I don’t think they’ve felt his loss too much, but I do miss him and happy he’s doing well in EDM. Also bummed I don’t get to make McLovin cracks every game, that brought me a lot of joy.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Can't be mad, it's nice to see a guy succeeding in carving a presence for himself elsewhere.

Reactions: Tryamw and zar

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
True, but I gotta tip my hat to the Oilers here as a Canes fan. Total win for the Oil. Bear gave us like 20 promising games and was unplayably bad after he got COVID, and then we finally traded him with retention for a 5th. I'd take 3 quality years of Foegele easily over that.

I like the bump honestly. This was a trade that was regarded by a lot of people as "good for both sides" but it was completely one-sided in hindsight.
I mean yes but the Canes weren’t gonna give him that contract and didn’t want to go to arbitration either, so still better to take a shot on Bear than lose WF for nothing.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yeh, Foegele has priced himself out of Edmonton as well and will likely be replaced by Holloway next season.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Fans (and pundits) treat trades like hockey games. We shouldn't. They're not zero sum. Edmonton making a good deal doesn't mean anything for the Carolina end of things.

Also, Carolina not getting anything meaningful from the trade directly doesn't mean that it's a bad deal. Players have an opportunity cost, be it cap space or ice time. To that point, Fast and Martinook took Foegele's minutes and ran with them.

If I were a betting man, I would wager good money that Canes management hasn't lost a moment of sleep over Foegele. He was a fungible player for the team and the Oilers may find that he is for them as well.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The Oilers were going to trade Foegele last summer but McDavid told them not to. Have to imagine he'll be looking elsewhere this summer so hopefully he continues playing well for the playoffs.

Reactions: zar and voxel

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

Many oiler fans wanted to run Foegle out of town over the last 2 years...winning tends to change peoples minds

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Many oiler fans wanted to run Foegle out of town over the last 2 years...winning tends to change peoples minds

Sounds like the “fans” of any team with any player. Some “fans” also wanted to run Draisaitl and McDavid out of town too at times. There are idiots in every crowd.

I bet, if you search hard enough, you can find the same about every player on your favorite team as well.

I think overall most Oiler fans have been very satisfied with Foegele prior to this year… this season, they should be very happy with what he has provided the team.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Its too bad oilers coaching couldnt figure out better way to utilize him earlier. At least they got one year of above value production out of him though.

Reactions: zar

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2