Confirmed Trade: [CAR/EDM] Ethan Bear for Warren Foegele

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I still don’t think either team lost here but as an Oilers fan I like this deal as much now as the day it happened. Foegele is the kinda depth guy you can win with. Need more guys like this
Agree. neither team lost. Canes traded a guy that would be their 9th or 10th best forward for a top 4 D. Oilers are happy with Foegele solidifying their 3rd line and a guy that can move up in a pinch.

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
Mediocre play slotted into the wrong pairing with not much support beside him or in front of him.

Everyone has excuses. Bear was his own worst enemy on the ice. It's not the fault of others that he would make terrible outlet passes to forwards or that he couldn't physically handle forechecking forwards (Toews in the play in round).

Bears biggest issues were for the most part issues he brought on himself. Showing up to camp overweight and out of shape is on him. Being weak is on him. Having panic attacks with the puck is on him.

Liked the player but there is entirely too much excuse making for the guy in Oiler Land.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I think a big part of why he was traded is that, in 2 of his 3 years, he did not come into camp in great shape. He was ok but the oilers are led by gym fanatics (mcdavid and bear).

You can forgive a young player doing that once but off season training is not something you can skimp on if you have any intention of improvement

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I think a big part of why he was traded is that, in 2 of his 3 years, he did not come into camp in great shape. He was ok but the oilers are led by gym fanatics (mcdavid and bear).

You can forgive a young player doing that once but off season training is not something you can skimp on if you have any intention of improvement

I think you meant Nurse.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You arent wrong about that. It did bring out racists on all sides. Those against Bear and those that labeled any and all criticism as racist. I can't even count the number of times people were called racists for criticzing his play, like he's somehow above criticism because he wasn't white. Trash on both sides.

I'm sure that's what you were referring to right?
No I was referring to all of the pricks who said things like "send him back to the reservation".

I also saw plenty of people criticizing Bear for his play but give a pass to others on the team for just as poor of play. It isn't racism to point out his flaws as a player. It is racist to hold him to a different standard than others because he is First Nations.

Reactions: Grantham and bopeep

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
No I was referring to all of the pricks who said things like "send him back to the reservation".

I also saw plenty of people criticizing Bear for his play but give a pass to others on the team for just as poor of play. It isn't racism to point out his flaws as a player. It is racist to hold him to a different standard than others because he is First Nations.

Oh please. That crap happens all the time(not the reservation stuff, that's revolting) with people. Criticizing Bear for something that you let others slide on doesn't automatically equal "racism". That double standard exists across the board.

For example, Drai is routinely and loudly criticized for lazy backchecks and a perceived laziness skating back to the bench. McDavid does the exact same thing almost as often and is NEVER criticized for it. Should I automatically assume that Drai is criticized for it because of Anti-German bigotry? No, not unless there's a track record by said "poster" that indicates it's because of Drais heritage.

Far too often in today's world any criticism of POC is automatically assumed to be coming from a place of hate and racism, hell you literally just proved that, when it could be something as simple as a person not liking that player.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
So far, seems like a fair deal for both teams.
Haven't seen any of the issues that have been mentioned regarding Bear's game. Not flashy, but has been solid.
Foegele is a heart and soul guy that wanted top 6 minutes. He wasn't going to get them in Carolina, nor should he have. He is a great forechecker and, on occasion, makes nice offensive plays. He does tend to try to do more than his ability allows though.
Canes already have Foegele type players, so it made sense to bring in a young D.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

North

Jun 25, 2009
So far, seems like a fair deal for both teams.
Haven't seen any of the issues that have been mentioned regarding Bear's game. Not flashy, but has been solid.
Foegele is a heart and soul guy that wanted top 6 minutes. He wasn't going to get them in Carolina, nor should he have. He is a great forechecker and, on occasion, makes nice offensive plays. He does tend to try to do more than his ability allows though.
Canes already have Foegele type players, so it made sense to bring in a young D.

I think being paired with Slavin helps Bear immensely.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
It wasn't 2 years. It was one year of inconsistent play with some mediocre play and some good play. The other year, he was solid.

You are right about one thing though. It certainly wasn't just one play, although that one play did bring out the racists and trolls online.

Teams with defensive weaknesses throughout the lineup are always going to make everyone look inconsistent. Because opposing forwards are going to be hitting the line with more speed. More passes are going to get through. You'll have to cheat more. You won't get help. The goalie won't make the save. Etc...

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
wow, this thread just likes to stay at the top... way too much attention for a 3rd line winger for #4Dman deal.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oh please. That crap happens all the time(not the reservation stuff, that's revolting) with people. Criticizing Bear for something that you let others slide on doesn't automatically equal "racism". That double standard exists across the board.

For example, Drai is routinely and loudly criticized for lazy backchecks and a perceived laziness skating back to the bench. McDavid does the exact same thing almost as often and is NEVER criticized for it. Should I automatically assume that Drai is criticized for it because of Anti-German bigotry? No, not unless there's a track record by said "poster" that indicates it's because of Drais heritage.

Far too often in today's world any criticism of POC is automatically assumed to be coming from a place of hate and racism, hell you literally just proved that, when it could be something as simple as a person not liking that player.

It happened at a rate that was higher than other players.

Far too often in this world, POC face harsher criticism because of the colour of their skin. I never said the criticism of Bear was always hate related, I raised concerns for Bear's play too when warranted. But if you weren't paying attention to the criticism he received from a very certain segment of fans, you wouldn't have noticed it. If you had been, you would have clearly noticed it. Hell, he was criticized when he was playing well at a disproportionate rate too. It comes with Alberta unfortunately. There are a lot of issues with discrimination towards First Nations here.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
This thread won’t be so friendly once Edmonton faces off against Carolina in the SCF this season.
I disagree this thread can remain friendly the Playoff game thread on the other hand :P Barbs and Vitriol for days and weeks :P

Reactions: Cloned

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
It happened at a rate that was higher than other players.

Far too often in this world, POC face harsher criticism because of the colour of their skin. I never said the criticism of Bear was always hate related, I raised concerns for Bear's play too when warranted. But if you weren't paying attention to the criticism he received from a very certain segment of fans, you wouldn't have noticed it. If you had been, you would have clearly noticed it. Hell, he was criticized when he was playing well at a disproportionate rate too. It comes with Alberta unfortunately. There are a lot of issues with discrimination towards First Nations here.

I'm well aware of everything you posted. I'm also well aware of people being called racist for absolutely no reason at all other than criticizing a play or facets of his game. It happened to me more than once on other boards//FB pages. The people that were legit racists that didn't like Bear due to skin color were an extremely small segment of OilNation and you know it.

Also, you have absolutely no way to quantify your "higher rate cause POC" claim, that's your opinion. Not fact. And at the end of the day Bear recieved criticism because he was Native that's undeniable. BUT, he also recieved plenty of praise, admiration and tire pumping solely because he was POC, and not his pretty flawed game.

I'd wager that most of the criticism that went his way was due to the fact that he just isn't that great of a player. Small, soft, physically weak, slow and has panic attacks with the puck far too often. There's a good, competent player in there I'm just not sure he'll ever unlock his full potential.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Teams with defensive weaknesses throughout the lineup are always going to make everyone look inconsistent. Because opposing forwards are going to be hitting the line with more speed. More passes are going to get through. You'll have to cheat more. You won't get help. The goalie won't make the save. Etc...
Yep. Brady Skjei is a great example. Rangers were happy to get rid of him due to his inconsistency on defense. Pair him with a Pesce on the second pairing in Carolina, with forwards that commit to both ends of the ice, and he’s been solid.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Yep. Foegle will have stone hands again and Bear will be a giveaway machine, ha ha ha.
He won't.

The Carolina forwards support the Dmen better than the Oilers forwards ever did.

Bear is prone to errant passing during an aggressive forecheck, and the Oilers never adapted to that. They kept cheating for offense.

The drawn up play was always:

Dump it to Bears corner with 2 forecheckers, and cover the outlets... which he's proven time and time again he has problems with... while all of our forwards were cherry picking near the red line.
(And in the playoffs, this wasn't McDavid Draisaitl, it was Khaira and Turris and the rest of our 4th line chumps cheating for offense).

Foegele's job is to tilt the ice the other way and have better hands than Jujhar Khaira.

The Oilers depth has been so brutal, that any contribution at all is seen as positive.
I think the bottom 2 lines scored one goal for every 5-6 they allowed.

Foegele's job is to just not get absolutely carved each time he's out on the ice. Scoring more than 6 goals is a HUUUUGE plus.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He won't.

The Carolina forwards support the Dmen better than the Oilers forwards ever did.

Bear is prone to errant passing during an aggressive forecheck, and the Oilers never adapted to that. They kept cheating for offense.

The drawn up play was always:

Dump it to Bears corner with 2 forecheckers, and cover the outlets... which he's proven time and time again he has problems with... while all of our forwards were cherry picking near the red line.
(And in the playoffs, this wasn't McDavid Draisaitl, it was Khaira and Turris and the rest of our 4th line chumps cheating for offense).

Foegele's job is to tilt the ice the other way and have better hands than Jujhar Khaira.

The Oilers depth has been so brutal, that any contribution at all is seen as positive.
I think the bottom 2 lines scored one goal for every 5-6 they allowed.

Foegele's job is to just not get absolutely carved each time he's out on the ice. Scoring more than 6 goals is a HUUUUGE plus.
That's an awful lot of typing to respond to a joke.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis

I think you meant McDavid and Drai but yeah thats a good point

He carries a lot of fat coming into preseason for a NHL player

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
wow, this thread just likes to stay at the top... way too much attention for a 3rd line winger for #4Dman deal.
Of course, the other option is for you to simply ignore the thread, but "touch the hot stove" I guess.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
McLovin was snakebit with his shooting here in Carolina. He'd get looks but just found iron or shot it wide. I really hope he figures it out in Edm because I liked his game and I do miss him here. That being said, him leaving did open up a similar role for Lorentz this year, and he's already looking pretty good, so I guess it was a move that needed to happen.

Bear has been fine. He's had some screw-ups but like we saw with Dougie, being paired with Slavin does have its perks. All around solid player that seems to fit our scheme perfectly. And its still very early, but our defense looks like its actually risen its defensive game a bit, and we are really locking teams down for significant stretches each game, and that is definitely a testament to how well he has played (as well as Ian Cole and TDA).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00