Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Canes match MTL Offer Sheet for Sebastian Aho (5 years, $8.454M AAV) - Pt.6 | Mod Note in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Very disappointing from a MTL perspective. In fairness, no franchise is ever going to let a 21 year old 1C walk for little to nothing. I hope Kotkaniemi pans out as 1C like Aho.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
NinjaKick said:
before this offersheet the Canes wanted Aho for 8 years... Aho wanted 5... it's possible they could have settled on 6 or 7 years... So because of this offersheet the Canes lost out on 1 or 2 years with Aho .. and they have to pay top dollar...
Montreal has nothing to lose... no repercussions from this... so I wouldn't be surprised if they have something else up their sleeve

Top dollar? It's pretty much market value for a PPG 1C.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
The classic "the fax machine broke up".
luckily the fax machine is working properly, but the power outlet where it connects to the wall next to the phone line is a little loose. our guy Bocephus is willing to fix it in exchange for a couple of Bunch of Jerks t-shirts, but he's muddin' around in his truck in Nash county for the next couple of days. he should be back in town in time for the weekend, so he'll fix it up right quick and the Canes will get right on sending over that offer sheet match lickety split.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
From last thread:

Caniac247
"
Maybe because this is the first big RFA he's had to sign. :huh:

"

Wasnt TT a fairly big RFA signing which happened after he joined in January 2018?​

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
they have to pay $21 million upfront? or something around there... that's alot of money for a 21 year old.. and the Canes got screwed over by possibly losing out on 1 or 2 extra years of Aho..
Montreal has no repercussions from this

That's still $8.5m regardless, which is market value. Everyone's so caught up in the bonuses.

And it's not $21m up front, $12m this year and $9m next July, thanks for keeping up with the topic. Can't wait for players to start demanding heavily front loaded contracts from MB now.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
That's still $8.5m regardless, which is market value. Everyone's so caught up in the bonuses.

And it's not $21m up front, $12m this year and $9m next July, thanks for keeping up with the topic. Can't wait for players to start demanding heavily front loaded contracts from MB now.
do you think this is the contract the Canes imagined to sign Aho to? I don't... Montreal had nothing to lose from this...

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
they have to pay $21 million upfront? or something around there... that's alot of money for a 21 year old.. and the Canes got screwed over by possibly losing out on 1 or 2 extra years of Aho..
Montreal has no repercussions from this

Canes have to pay $12 million in the first 364 days of Aho's deal. The $21 million is just a buzz value that the media has been trying to sell to fans who desperately want to believe this offer sheet could work but lack understanding.

Montreal has no repercussions yet - other than being mocked by the entire hockey world for sending out a "laughable" offer sheet with zero chance of succeeding. Revenge is a dish best served cold, though. From Pierre LeBrun:
Believe me when I say this: I guarantee Dundon has already told Waddell that if there’s an RFA in Montreal the ‘Canes can go after over the next few years, he’s got the green light to do something crazy.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Canes have to pay $12 million in the first 364 days of Aho's deal. The $21 million is just a buzz value that the media has been trying to sell to fans who lack understanding.

Montreal has no repercussions yet - other than being mocked by the entire hockey world for sending out a "laughable" offer sheet with zero chance of succeeding. Revenge is a dish best served cold, though. From Pierre LeBrun:
I read $21 million in the last thread so I apologize... the term is what I have a problem with... $8.5 at 8 years or even 7 would have been great... instead Montreal forced them into 5 years with a weird bonus...

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
do you think this is the contract the Canes imagined to sign Aho to? I don't... Montreal had nothing to lose from this...
You think throwing an offer sheet won't have any negative impact on the future endeavours of Marc Bergevin and the Montreal Canadiens? I'd maybe think again.

And I'm not biased in this. I kind of hoped to see Aho in a Habs jersey.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Itd be hilarious if in trying to screw Bergevin over they wait till last minute and end up missing the deadline :laugh:
Ah they will leave themselves time , I expect them to sign it on day six at the latest to make sure the paperwork is good .

It's not the oilers we are talking about here.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
You think throwing an offer sheet won't have any negative impact on the future endeavours of Marc Bergevin and the Montreal Canadiens? I'd maybe think again.

Absolutely not. This is an original 6 mecca of hockey. A lot of the hockey market runs through Montreal. I can't see this franchise suffering one-bit for an offersheet and likely will not have any financial trouble matching one if need be. Marc Bergevin on the other hand, maybe. I don't know how much longer he's Montreal's GM.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I read $21 million in the last thread so I apologize... the term is what I have a problem with... $8.5 at 8 years or even 7 would have been great... instead Montreal forced them into 5 years with a weird bonus...
No kidding that would have been great . That would have been highway robbery by the canes and probably the best contract in the league by the end of it

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto

does Montreal have a beef with the Canes?... I never understood their point of view from this offersheet... there is now way they could have thought that the Canes would have let Aho walk for what they would have received in return... very weird

Reactions: Cane mutiny

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Carolinas 7.5x8 offer is a lowball (ignoring, of course, that this was a process of negotiation). I presume the plan was for carolina to eventually move to aav commensurate to Ahos comparables while getting Aho to yield on term and signing bonuses.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal

This is just business. Montreal is trying to win. They spend and make alot of money for the league.

Reactions: Ciao and Gravity

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North
Neutral fan here but I have a question for Montreal fans is Bergevin on thin ice? Or what do you think of the job he's done as gm.

ohmyjlord

Fan...with a brain.
Mar 9, 2008
Montreal

With the exception of Waddel/Carolina, absolutely not.
...if anything, GMs around the league are sending 'thank you' cards to Bergevin right now. Signing Aho at $8.5m sets a bar that should help every GM in the league negociate with their RFAs who were already asking for much more. Now, every GMs throughout the league will use Aho's contract as reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia