Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Flyers 7pm Nov 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
5th in division with games In hand. When other teams catch up with be 6th or 7th.

no surprise. We were a bubble team at start of year with this roster - but team is being managed very bad too.

Now, now. Just today we discussed the young players getting to play and losing a few games and struggling to make the playoffs is good. Now because they lost a game people should be fired and criticized. So, they need to win and losing isnt ok or no?

Reactions: troyerlaw

Jun 15, 2007
Now, now. Just today we discussed the young players getting to play and losing a few games and struggling to make the playoffs is good. Now because they lost a game people should be fired and criticized. So, they need to win and losing isnt ok or no?

The kids didn't cost them the game. Shesry, Eller, Hagelin, Schultz did.

Your post doesn't make sense.

Reactions: Hivemind and pman25

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

They lost in large part because Laviolette didn’t play the kids enough. Even Alan May is criticizing the coaching tonight for this reason.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I hope GMBM has a chat with PL. This is a great chance to see what the kids can do and how that will inform the trade deadline later this year. He can’t just bury them on the bench.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
This season is a good example of why a player like Vrana got so frustrated under PL. The kids played a great game but who gets rewarded at the end? Players who haven’t done shit. Great way to kill motivation.
That is a very poor example. Vrana had 3 different coaches while he was here and each coach had the same problem. He refused to play within the system and he paid for it by getting benched several times.
The youngsters we have now are playing within the system. I haven't really seen any of them floating around. They all come back to backcheck. Vrana didn't do that very often. I've also noticed that they have covered the point for a pinching dman. They have also been disciplined with the forecheck, not getting all 3 forwards down low. The 3rd forward stays high.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Looks like 100% of people want to see more of-agree with an all rookie line!

Attachments

• D56F1B05-576E-4D09-B669-E80B34A02578.jpeg
    D56F1B05-576E-4D09-B669-E80B34A02578.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 7

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I hope GMBM has a chat with PL. This is a great chance to see what the kids can do and how that will inform the trade deadline later this year. He can’t just bury them on the bench.

I imagine a veteran, Cup winning coach like PL would take BMac coming in to the room and telling him who to play exactly like Art Howe in Moneyball.

ba5bca552b0d73dbd4185bdcaf48ae54_w200.gif

Reactions: troyerlaw and txpd

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Laviolette isn't a rebuild type coach. He's not going to change his stripes and suddenly become more broad-minded and patient. His Guys need to continue to earn the benefit of the doubt, though. It can't be unconditional. Too often they're not giving it and he has to adjust. It's not easy since, like I said, he doesn't have an alternate second line to go with due to Eller's play vs. the checking line. He's not going to be giving McMichael 18 minutes a night or something. But there's got to be more a forward needs to do than bare minimum veteran defensive effort and simple positioning. Much more.

I'm not sure they need to add another forward but Lapierre should be sent to the Q soon. They probably don't have another scoring-line type in Hershey so some sort of fringe Sprong type would fit.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The kids didn't cost them the game. Shesry, Eller, Hagelin, Schultz did.

Your post doesn't make sense.

It makes to me because I am inclined to agree with what I think. You feel differently. Thats fine. Lappy and McMichael played 12+. Thats an incease.

Meanwhile, I dont see Orlov in your list of losers. He got used up for the winning goal. Is that because we blame the goaltending?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I think the issue is the team needs an Oshie like presence. And the clone of Oshie is Mantha. And both are out.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If you watch his interviews, you have to question how he has any enthusiasm and motivating players.

Then you could guess that what he brings isn't rah rah enthusiasum or motivation skills. Its clearly something else. Its clearly something else that is so hard to come by that one new head coach after another wants him.

In a league where assistant coaches are a dime a dozen and head coaches want their own people, like Laviolette never works without McCarthy, each new Caps head coach wants to keep him rather than bring someone that would be easily loyal to him. Why is that? I have my theory but its just a guess.

The short answer would be that somehow he is irreplaceable. Isn't that a kick in the head?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Young players aren’t the reason they’re losing. So yes, play the young kids - but still play to win.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Have you lost your mind?? Oshie and Mantha have next to nothing in common. Get out of town
They have a similar effect.

Mantha is a player that has given an added boost. He's not a superstar or even great but he gives that added boost somehow.

When Caps are missing that they are sluggish. Oshie is another guy like that but is better player than Mantha.

Joel Ward for a bit did this very well. Problem is the Caps are short on these added boost players.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
McMichael created that goal with a nice push off the rush. Maybe we could use that type of zone entry on the powerplay but what do I know

That worked because the Caps werent attempting a zone entry against 4 player across the blue line. There was room. Seriously, if that play is open Kuznetsov takes it EVERYtime.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
They have a similar effect.

Mantha is a player that has given an added boost. He's not a superstar or even great but he gives that added boost somehow.

When Caps are missing that they are sluggish. Oshie is another guy like that but is better player than Mantha.

Joel Ward for a bit did this very well. Problem is the Caps are short on these added boost players.
I don’t see Mantha and Oshie as remotely similar. Oshie gives maximum effort, creates plays, scores, throws hits, goes to high-traffic areas, can play center or wing. He is a gamer. Mantha is really none of that IMO. Even as a top guy in Detroit, getting lots of TOI and PP1 time, his best season goal total is 25. To me he is a borderline bust, for a 1st-round pick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad