Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 2 - 2021-22

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
#25 on the PP

Knowing that Cush is on the prospect watch on a Friday is....
giphy.gif

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Starting to feel like the Oshie comparisons are under selling this kid. He's certainly outproducing Osh in their D+1 seasons, both NCAA.

Both play(ed) for strong teams.

Reactions: Calicaps

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

I genuinely still can't tell if all the opening up and edge work Cristall is doing will transfer to any benefit at the NHL level... but if it does, he sure is one of the only ones doing it that well/often.

Here's hoping, not sure at all but if it's at least not breaking parts of his game he's maybe got some Briere to him?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Breakaway was pretty bad ass. Just can't tell if his foot speed translate. Players like Backstrom with that elite hockey sense and average speed can do fine just will be interesting to see how it translates when he turns pro and is in Hershey. Hershey fans should be pretty stoked with the prospects coming up.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Breakaway was pretty bad ass. Just can't tell if his foot speed translate. Players like Backstrom with that elite hockey sense and average speed can do fine just will be interesting to see how it translates when he turns pro and is in Hershey. Hershey fans should be pretty stoked with the prospects coming up.
thing for me as well.

I still can't tell if he's making something extra by doing what he does or just borrowing speed from a more efficient process and making it look extra at times. He's like right in the grey zone where it could be one or the other, and I really can't tell.

For whatever working those edges is worth he's at plus+ skills in it, but how much does it really matter at the NHL level? Up to him and his reads I guess, really, but it makes him hard to project. If it's a plus tool he's probably going to give some Jeff Skinner vibes, probably less of a goal scorer but same general impression where he seems "off" if he's not creating and will get a "streaky" label but also produce enough that it's just something you budget for.

If not, who knows?

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Four primary apples it should be mentioned.

Last regular season game for Leonard tomorrow.
Frozen Four finals around mid April. Theoretically Lenny could join the Bears for the last couple games of the year and then playoffs. Fingers crossed they win it all and he goes pro. Be surprised if they get knocked out of the FF and he turns pro instead of going back to BC but I guess stranger things have happened.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Would be awesome to see Leonard in Chocolatetown for a nice playoff run. Could definitely help his development and he could be a difference maker down the stretch. Still remember a baby faced John Carlson coming in after his season in London and playing so well

Reactions: Holtbyisms

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Leonard could also play a few games for the Caps. keep it under 10 preferably but I don’t think it really matters. he down’s need 3 years of being waivers exempt. If Hershey needs help then he can go straight there especially since Caps may be done by late April. Either way, hope he turns pro after BC season and gets some time in pros to wrap up his year.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Love this kid.

CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. — Ryan Leonard has to shake hands carefully right now.
Leonard, a Capitals prospect whose skill and promise make him a potential future star in Washington, was sporting a splint on his right hand, holding his middle and ring fingers together, after a Boston College game this month. It wasn’t from that night’s 6-1 win over New Hampshire, though.

“No,” he said when asked about the timing of the injury. “Last Friday.” Which meant he had been playing for the better part of three games with a broken finger — and had racked up two goals and two assists in that span.
Three days later, Leonard’s stat line jumped to three goals and four assists in four games with the injury after a three-point night in the Beanpot consolation game against Harvard. Then he scored two goals Friday and three more Sunday in a home-and-home sweep of Massachusetts.

Hockey players are known for playing through injuries, but it’s nonetheless fitting that Leonard, noted for his physicality, competitive drive and sheer force of will when the Capitals drafted him at No. 8 overall in 2023, hasn’t let his finger be a hindrance.
Leonard’s Eagles are the No. 1 team in the country with a month remaining in the regular season, so the 19-year-old freshman has much bigger things on his mind than a simple injury.
“We’ve always said that number one doesn’t really mean anything right now,” Leonard said. “We want to be number one at the end of the year. Being number one right now, we’re putting ourselves in a good spot for the end of the year and our [NCAA tournament] bracket, but it’s kind of just all noise, honestly. We’re just trying to prove ourselves and make sure that we’re the best team in the country.”
Apparently opposing coaches do too.
“I’ve watched him for years. He’s a very good player,” UNH Coach Mike Souza said after the game. “I love him because he’s competitive — so competitive. You talk to guys at the next level, that’s what separates guys or gets guys there.”

Think about that: An opposing player left such an impression on a coach that, after a 6-1 loss, that coach used the word “love” when asked about him. That’s the kind of mark Leonard’s game leaves and what could make him an instant fan favorite when he arrives in Washington.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad