Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 2 - 2021-22

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
He's definitely regressed. He's young, so he has time to turn it around, I guess. But seeing a 20 year old take a huge step back is alarming.
I'm being old man river draftnik just got to give some time imho. What happened last year was unusual with how the AHL situation played out.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
No Sudz. Interesting. No Dube either. I personally like Trineyev as well.

Pool shallow but also consider we just graduated McMichael, Protas, and Malenstyn to full NHL players. Lappy and Miro look ready to jump. Lots of picks in next three years will help.
Keller, Cam Allen, Sudz rounded out the 14, drop offs at 4 and 8

Reactions: Kazer

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Everyone grows at a different pace, Not like having a baby which is 9 months.

I wouldn’t judge Sudz just on this year. It was a mess. He will be in Hershey next year. Make a difference!

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Everyone grows at a different pace, Not like having a baby which is 9 months.

I wouldn’t judge Sudz just on this year. It was a mess. He will be in Hershey next year. Make a difference!
I would strongly prefer to be wrong, but his current year suggests that last year was more of an anomaly (playing with Bedard) than a trend. He couldn't crack Hershey's (admittedly deep) lineup, and then he went to Sweden and put up low scoring in a tier-2 Swedish league, and then he went back to the WHL where he's well under PPG pace (which is not ideal for an overager). I'm not quite ready to write him off, but he really needs a strong 24-25 to get back on track.

Caps have a good group of prospects in their top 7 (through Stevenson) and then the pool drops off to a bunch of maybes (including Funk). We've had graduations and not a ton of draft picks coming in (just 4 picks total in 2019 and then 5 picks total with no 2nd or 3rd in 2020 and then no 1st in 2021). That will change (barring trades) with 11 first, second, and third round picks over the next two draft years. (1,2,3,3,3 and then 1,2,2,2,3,3).

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I would strongly prefer to be wrong, but his current year suggests that last year was more of an anomaly (playing with Bedard) than a trend. He couldn't crack Hershey's (admittedly deep) lineup, and then he went to Sweden and put up low scoring in a tier-2 Swedish league, and then he went back to the WHL where he's well under PPG pace (which is not ideal for an overager). I'm not quite ready to write him off, but he really needs a strong 24-25 to get back on track.

Caps have a good group of prospects in their top 7 (through Stevenson) and then the pool drops off to a bunch of maybes (including Funk). We've had graduations and not a ton of draft picks coming in (just 4 picks total in 2019 and then 5 picks total with no 2nd or 3rd in 2020 and then no 1st in 2021). That will change (barring trades) with 11 first, second, and third round picks over the next two draft years. (1,2,3,3,3 and then 1,2,2,2,3,3).
It was a tough year for Sudz and again, development paths are different. I’m not ready to write him off, but he has stalled for sure.

With recent grads and the next 3-5 the team age is changing drastically. So is the core.

And then to your point, 11 first three round picks over next two years will help. And I believe the 4th most in NHL over three year view. And that group won’t need to have a fast track to NHL. We do desperately need a JC74 replacement though.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
It was a tough year for Sudz and again, development paths are different. I’m not ready to write him off, but he has stalled for sure.

With recent grads and the next 3-5 the team age is changing drastically. So is the core.

And then to your point, 11 first three round picks over next two years will help. And I believe the 4th most in NHL over three year view. And that group won’t need to have a fast track to NHL. We do desperately need a JC74 replacement though.
If Miro, Lappy, Leonard, and Cristall all reach their full potential, I think we'll be just fine offensively and we can focus on finding a franchise 1D. If we do it through the draft, it will take some luck, though. He was a 28th overall pick himself, so it's possible... I just wonder if a pick would mature "in time". I guess if we start to put a team together, our window will be open long enough.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Development paths can be different, but a year of regression from a prospect is never a good sign. Weird year or not, 20 year old prospects are supposed to be pushing their development forwards, not backwards. This development arc reminds me a lot of Stan Galiev. Galiev was a 3rd round pick, missed a lot of time in his 20 year old year, plateaued in his CHL production, then struggled to catch on in the AHL in the subsequent season. At least Galiev popped off hard in his 20 year old playoff campaign to keep interest levels up.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Leonard denied on a break-a- way, got poke checked by the goalie. One too many dekes

BC fails to convert on a 5 on 3 PP.

BC up 5-4

BC hangs on

Leonard on the ice for the final 37 seconds while UConn had 6 skaters to 4. Had a couple of clears to kill some clock

Last edited:

Kuz

May 11, 2015
2G and 1A for Funk and have taken the lead in the WHL scoring race with 119 pts. One ahead of Jagger Firkus. With two games left Funk need 3 more goals to hit 70 for the year. They are playing Kamloops the last placed team so its possible.

Cristall have slowed a little bit down with only 4 pts in his last 4 and is 5th with 106 pts right now.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I have some people come stay at my house every year for opening weekend of March madness. Took them to the Toronto game on Wednesday and got shitcanned. Last night i had 40 people over (and got shitcanned). It’s been a rough day today so keeping it chill tonight. But a bunch of people coming over tomorrow night for poker and games. Start rehab on Monday.

IMG_8789.jpeg

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I have some people come stay at my house every year for opening weekend of March madness. Took them to the Toronto game on Wednesday and got shitcanned. Last night i had 40 people over (and got shitcanned). It’s been a rough day today so keeping it chill tonight. But a bunch of people coming over tomorrow night for poker and games. Start rehab on Monday.

View attachment 839947
Similar setup here. Waiting on an adapter to get the second monitor going.

1000001172.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad