Confirmed with Link: Caps Sign Eric Fehr

Halpysback*

Something here is not the same? One is an Stanley Cup Finals Goalie. The other is a Winter Classic star. One season wonder vs one game wonder?

Is that the same?:sarcasm:

What does that have to do with anything? Both had debilitating injuries that cripped their play. Both (seem to have) recovered, so they'll probably do much better than the season they were struggling through debilitating injuries. If we want a Stanley Cup Finals star perhaps we could give Arnott another go.

Halpysback*

I honestly have no idea what you are doing here. I suspect this is all sarcasm?

That 3rd line shouldnt even be in the NHL on some nights... Brouwer on the 4th line...and Laich at D?

LOL

Yeah, flipping Brouwer and Fehr might make more sense. I put it that way since Hendricks, Beagle and Brouwer all seem to be on the same wavelength.

Wolski and Perreault will have insane chemistry, just watch. Both shifty playmakers with something to prove who could dipsy doodle circles around the opposition and set up Fehr for his trademark wrist shot. Though Brouwer perhaps makes more sense since he's more responsible defensively. Still, then the 4th line loses all of its identity.

So many choices :cry:

Laich at D is also something that makes too much sense not to try. Some of the most above average defensemen were forwards once, and vice versa. It's all about how he plays the game.

Halpysback*

Also the Chimera-Johansson-Ward line makes sense since Ward is at his best shadowing the puck carrier driving the net. That's how he scored the playoff clinching goal against Boston. You'd have tons of instances of Chimera and Johansson burning everyone driving the net, the puck getting lost in the fray, Ward digging it out and putting it in. Would be an exceptionally frustrating line to play against. Also Johansson could unclench his sphincter a bit and make some more confident offensive plays with Chimera and Ward taking care of defensive and physical duties.

I've spent countless nights thinking all of this through. I'm confident we have the pieces, just need to arrange them the right way.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Also the Chimera-Johansson-Ward line makes sense since Ward is at his best shadowing the puck carrier driving the net. That's how he scored the playoff clinching goal against Boston. You'd have tons of instances of Chimera and Johansson burning everyone driving the net, the puck getting lost in the fray, Ward digging it out and putting it in. Would be an exceptionally frustrating line to play against. Also Johansson could unclench his sphincter a bit and make some more confident offensive plays with Chimera and Ward taking care of defensive and physical duties.

I've spent countless nights thinking all of this through. I'm confident we have the pieces, just need to arrange them the right way.

Countless nights... and came up with THIS?

Halpysback*

Countless nights... and came up with THIS?

If Oates actually tries it at some point you'll be surprised at how well it works.

I also had the idea of retaining Semin or signing Kostitsyn so we'd still have a grand total of TWO forwards who can score with a wrister from behind the hash marks, but I guess that idea was too radical as well.

Though we will probably just do the same thing we do EVERY YEAR with our skilled offensive players, ecletic amalgamation of roleplayer forwards that don't know what role they are playing, and defense that is still missing a 2nd and 3rd pairing fixture, we will somehow be able to win 4 playoff rounds in a row, 3 against what will probably be more complete/more talented/better coordinated teams. Sure. Ted says so after all.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime

The Caps have tried rolling out lines without a NHL center.

It worked well enough that it got the Caps Alzner.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
i dont need to know anything inside to know that winnipeg let him walk. once on the open market he was not signed til after the lockout. then i signed a league minimum or near deal. btw...what is the new league minimum? it was 500k.

if teams wanted eric fehr when he became available for less than 2.2m, none offered him a contract that he was willing to sign. maybe he turned down 1.5m somewhere then had a good turn in finland and came home to find only 600k on the table for him.

its logical that he was not wanted before he went to europe and only wanted at a bargain basement price after europe.

i hope it works out. but its a delusion to believe fehr was not snagged off the scrap heap.

Spot on. The $600k sure sounds like a song we've heard before... typical McPhee "big" raise. A whole $100k.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Enjoy him guys, can't say that I'm unhappy to see him leave Winnipeg not sure if it was still the surgery or the system but he just didn't fit in and was often very much out of place.

1 goal all season is pathetic to say the least from a guy who is supposed to shine in this league.

Best of luck to Fehr in Washington.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
If Oates actually tries it at some point you'll be surprised at how well it works.

I also had the idea of retaining Semin or signing Kostitsyn so we'd still have a grand total of TWO forwards who can score with a wrister from behind the hash marks, but I guess that idea was too radical as well.

Though we will probably just do the same thing we do EVERY YEAR with our skilled offensive players, ecletic amalgamation of roleplayer forwards that don't know what role they are playing, and defense that is still missing a 2nd and 3rd pairing fixture, we will somehow be able to win 4 playoff rounds in a row, 3 against what will probably be more complete/more talented/better coordinated teams. Sure. Ted says so after all.

Ted is a great leader... much like Todd Hoffman. In fact... they're kind of hard to tell apart.

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver
i dont need to know anything inside to know that winnipeg let him walk. once on the open market he was not signed til after the lockout. then i signed a league minimum or near deal. btw...what is the new league minimum? it was 500k.

if teams wanted eric fehr when he became available for less than 2.2m, none offered him a contract that he was willing to sign. maybe he turned down 1.5m somewhere then had a good turn in finland and came home to find only 600k on the table for him.

its logical that he was not wanted before he went to europe and only wanted at a bargain basement price after europe.

i hope it works out. but its a delusion to believe fehr was not snagged off the scrap heap.

Again you're making a lot of assumptions. Fehr mentioned there were a few offers and he chose the Caps. I'd consider signing the likes of Jason Doig, Bryan Muir,Mathieu Biron,etc dumpster diving but not a 27 yr old who's 3 seasons removed from 21 goals, and has dealt with his share of major injuries.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
I'm quite excited to see Fehr back in Washington. He is a first rate person and deserves another chance in the NHL. Bad luck with injuries I hope are behind him.

He has good size and if I recall is a decent skater.

The two goals at the Winter Classic were sweet.

Welcome back Eric.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am glad Fehr is back. While he doesn't drop the gloves he can be a bit scrappy. Beagle sang his praises as being a great team guy. He just needs a center smart enough to just keep whipping passes his way. Enter Ribiero.

I think GM did good. I want him to look to get proven players bouncing back healthy on the cheap.

Fehr is to be on 106.7 the Fan in 5 minutes

http://betaplayer.radio.com/player/1067-the-fan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
analysis based on facts. so, you are saying that fehr turned down 1m or more from other teams to take the minimum from george? that doesnt make any sense. if there were other offers they were no better than what mcphee put on the table, which was 350k and a shot to play while laich was injured.

thats still the kind of deal that a player who's career is over or hanging by a thread takes.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
Im excited to have Fehr back, I am not planning on him being a 20g scorer, but if he is able to get near there I will be pleasantly surprised.

GMGM is trying to find a guy who fits into the 2RW, hes throwing a lot at the wall and hoping something sticks

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
analysis based on facts. so, you are saying that fehr turned down 1m or more from other teams to take the minimum from george? that doesnt make any sense. if there were other offers they were no better than what mcphee put on the table, which was 350k and a shot to play while laich was injured.

thats still the kind of deal that a player who's career is over or hanging by a thread takes.
Since your nonsense has spilled over to this thread I figured I'd address your earlier post in the other thread here as well.

Which 'facts' are you referring to? The only facts we know for sure..

1. Winnipeg didn't qualify him, and with good reason. His QO was probably somewhere in the $2Mrange. His play last year didn't warrant that.
2. Fehr had one of the top ppg in a professional league, besting just about every productive NHLer in that league.
3. Fehr signed a $600K contract with the Caps.

The rest of the 'facts' you've posted here and on the trade forum thread are nothing but conjecture. One Winnipeg fan even called you out for not knowing what you were talking about. Your one link that supposedly cited his lack of effort didn't even say that, and an article from 5 days later flew directly in the face of it. You cited Fehr as a slacker but the Caps gave him a full contract. Either they willing brought in a guy they deemed a slacker or you were wrong.

I believe if Fehr is given good linemates and decent ice time, he will produce. He's shown that he has skill , but hasn't been healthy.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Again you're making a lot of assumptions. Fehr mentioned there were a few offers and he chose the Caps. I'd consider signing the likes of Jason Doig, Bryan Muir,Mathieu Biron,etc dumpster diving but not a 27 yr old who's 3 seasons removed from 21 goals, and has dealt with his share of major injuries.

Oh...but you've just scratched the surface. What was that loser D man's name when we went to the finals, Brown? Think I'm right. And who could forget KritchSTIFF (our nickname for him on the ESPN boards, long ago). Or Jason Marshall, the king of the 5 minute penalties. Shall I continue?

On it's face (the post above, that is), you're correct... with one BIG but:

If this were the first, or one of the first times McPhee had done this, you can take that tack you're suggesting.

But to be doing it at this point, within recent sight of the large batch of #1's we acquired from dealings in and around the fire-sale, we need to see it for what it truly is: a pattern of ineptness.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Not to assume Fehr is (or is still) a slacker, but the Caps gave Wolski a contract. A history of slacking doesn't preclude taking a chance on a guy.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Since your nonsense has spilled over to this thread I figured I'd address your earlier post in the other thread here as well.

Which 'facts' are you referring to? The only facts we know for sure..

1. Winnipeg didn't qualify him, and with good reason. His QO was probably somewhere in the $2Mrange. His play last year didn't warrant that.
2. Fehr had one of the top ppg in a professional league, besting just about every productive NHLer in that league.
3. Fehr signed a $600K contract with the Caps.

The rest of the 'facts' you've posted here and on the trade forum thread are nothing but conjecture. One Winnipeg fan even called you out for not knowing what you were talking about. Your one link that supposedly cited his lack of effort didn't even say that, and an article from 5 days later flew directly in the face of it. You cited Fehr as a slacker but the Caps gave him a full contract. Either they willing brought in a guy they deemed a slacker or you were wrong.

I believe if Fehr is given good linemates and decent ice time, he will produce. He's shown that he has skill , but hasn't been healthy.

Stewie,

2 things to start:

1- I have truly enjoyed your posts of late, so don't take this personally.

-and-

2- Perhaps some of your anger/difference (only you know where those two intersect, if they do, at all) is because of posts TX made on another part of the board here at HF. Me? I only read his posts on THIS thread. And those are the posts I address.

And sorry, but I rather agree with TX on this. It doesn't take forensic science to see this: maybe there were/was more than one team bidding for Fair's services.

But at this point, the evidence suggests that it's a bidding war, with those involved offering the league minimum.

McPhee knows Fehr, and offers a slight increase over what the others offer: $100K

Fehr knows the team, and wisely takes the offer.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Slacker or not, I think George looks for proof that discarded UFAs have changed their approach, mindset, attitude - show a commitment to becoming better. Show me something.

Wolski did the Tony Atlas grade Roberts workout regiment
Fehr showed he was hungry and healthy in Finland

I can imagine its easy to slip into bad habits after making a few cool million as a 20 year old kid.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Not to assume Fehr is (or is still) a slacker, but the Caps gave Wolski a contract. A history of slacking doesn't preclude taking a chance on a guy.

BR,

I agree, but read my post above, and consider:

There are 2 methods of running a team: proactive, and reactive.

The history of the players I and others have brought up suggests that the Fehr signing is a reactive signing.

After the more than 10 years GMGM has had on the job, we ought to be on the proactive side, at least, most of the time.

But we never seem to be.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Slacker or not, I think George looks for proof that discarded UFAs have changed their approach, mindset, attitude - show a commitment to becoming better. Show me something.

Wolski did the Tony Atlas grade Roberts workout regiment
Fehr showed he was hungry and healthy in Finland

I can imagine its easy to slip into bad habits after making a few cool million as a 20 year old kid.

It would seem to be easy to slip into bad habits of acquiring players who have already proven that they're not what we're looking for long-term, too.

While it's maybe forgivable for a 27 year old, I'm not so sure for a late 40's early 50's guy who is supposed to know better.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Randy,

Keeping with the level of many posts here on this thread, I'd like to note that our QB Flacco could beat up your guy, RG3. (tongue stuck out)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i have no problem with picking a guy off the scrap heap. thats where tampa bay found marty st louis. some reactive activity by mcphee only allows that when an opportunity presents itself, the team has the flexibility to be open to it.

i am not sure what your definition of proactive might be. the caps have actively gone ou and acquired players to fill needs. ribeiro would be an example of that. knuble and poti and brouwer on off season's past.

is your issue that he hasnt made a big, breakdown the roster core trade or a big future for today trade like the opportunity to get pronger?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00