Confirmed with Link: Caps Sign Eric Fehr

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Worst Case Scenario: Wolski and Fehr both don't produce. We are forced to trade for a legit winger.

Good Scenario: 1 of Wolski/Fehr turns out to be a great signing

Best Case Scenario: Fehr turns into a 25-30g guy like he could be and Wolski goes back to his pre 2011 form. Our offense is stacked as a result.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I don't really get the Fehr is lazy stuff.

This was a one time TXPD pure speculation into why Fehr got so little ice time under Boudreau even when producing decently. He has repeated it so long that in his eyes it is now fact even though nobody has ever found anything from an actual source that even remotely backs it up.

It kind of follows along the same lines as 'remember Jerry, it's not a lie if you believe it...'

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
43 in 182 ain't bad... just don't recall that many being "in the clutch" so to speak.

No 43 in 182 isn't bad at all, especially when you take into account the 10 minutes of ice time and virtually no PP time he got under Boudreau.

How many were clutch? I have no idea. How many would it take for this no risk / moderate reward deal to be worth it in your eyes?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
George is attempting to replace a 40 goals high cost scorer (Semin) with 2 used/problematic spare parts (Wolski and Fehr). That is George's MO, always has been.

And PLEASE do not tell me Ribeiro was also traded for to replace Semin. We needed a Ribeiro type FOR Semin, not in place of. Semin's 6m in salary has not been filled, and I dont believe it will be either....least not by our current GM.

I 100% agree in that ideally the Ribeiro pickup would have gone along with resigning Semin so he could finally play with a good centerman, who wasn't way past his prime, and not have to carry the 2nd line scoring more or less by himself.

But instead they filled one hole, 2nd line center, and opened up another, 2nd line scoring winger. So now we get to see if any of the potential 2nd line winger candidates can help fill the new hole any better than the previous 2nd line centerman candidates were able to fill that role. In general it is easier to find decent wingers IMO than decent centers so I guess we will see.

But whether you like it or not from a salary/cap hit and most talented guy on the 2nd line perspective Ribeiro is the replacement for Semin.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
My issue is that this team isnt getting better. GMGM is the architect.

The fanbase is just about deaf to this now. If the fans would grumble Ted would act. But since the fans are apathetic, he is too.

Can you imagine if McPhee was in Philly? Those fans would've launched him to the moon by now. Of course, Philly fans are actually insane so...but they don't put up with ho-hum moves up there. The Caps are just a 2nd fiddle franchise with no one to change it.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The fanbase is just about deaf to this now. If the fans would grumble Ted would act. But since the fans are apathetic, he is too.
Just like he acted with Grunfeld.

Ted has shown that he has close to total faith in his GMs so long as they execute The Plan.

DukeDog13

Dec 10, 2010
Richmond, VA
Fehr has that special hockey ability to be in the right place at the right time and also has a wicked wrist shot which often goes overlooked. Although he slowed down a bit after putting on a bunch of weight, (which he did because he has been trying to play his game like Knoobs) his big body (6'4" duh) he is perfect to bully into the slot and slam rebounds home or dig them out of the boards and put a good shot on net. At $600,000, I have no idea how this can be seen as anything but a great pickup.

Halpysback*

The worst part is Kostitsyn would have probably filled that sniper role at only a marginal downgrade from Semin and with much more snarl and he was available for peanuts. Was Nashville's best forward against Detroit too.

Sometimes I wonder wtf GMGM is thinking.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
The worst part is Kostitsyn would have probably filled that sniper role at only a marginal downgrade from Semin and with much more snarl and he was available for peanuts. Was Nashville's best forward against Detroit too.

I'm not going to bother reading through this thread, but are you angry about this signing because of ****ing Kostitsyn? The guy who's staying in Russia? Come on...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Can you imagine if McPhee was in Philly? Those fans would've launched him to the moon by now. Of course, Philly fans are actually insane so...but they don't put up with ho-hum moves up there. The Caps are just a 2nd fiddle franchise with no one to change it.

yes, the fans would have launched him to the moon and the ownership would have kept him. the flyers have had two general managers since 1994 and not won a cup in that time. they are very aggressive with their roster changing here but not in changing the gm.

Halpysback*

I'm not going to bother reading through this thread, but are you angry about this signing because of ****ing Kostitsyn? The guy who's staying in Russia? Come on...

I must have missed the part where staying in Russia magically cuts his abilities in half from what he was capable of last year or something. That Kuznetsov sure sucks, staying in Russia and all.

I'm angry that we're going into the season with Ovechkin and a pile of crap that can't score from more than 10 feet out for wingers when we had a guy who has an elite wrist shot and plays a gritty style at a top 6 level, generally shows up for the playoffs, and was available cheaply. Someone who'd be a better fit opposite Ovechkin and Backstrom than anyone else, and someone who'd be a better fit with Ribeiro than anyone except Ovechkin.

It's signings like these that put everyone into place that let teams go deep. Is Vermette a star player? Not really, but he was huge in having Phoenix go as far as they had. Is Carter a top 5 player in the league? No, he's slightly better than Semin if that, but getting him was the difference between the Kings being historically inept offensively and cruising to a cup. Simply because those guys put everyone else into place.

I'm not saying Kostitsyn gets us a cup but Kostitsyn-Ribeiro-Brouwer/Laich/Johansson/whatever is a hell of a lot more appealing that what we have now. And Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kostitsyn is a lot more appealing that Ovechkin-Backstrom-Johansson

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

I'm sorry but the idea that Kostitsyn is in anywhere remotely close to Semin's class offensively is a joke.

Given the offensive skills of the rest of the wingers on the team not named Ovechkin would Kostitsyn have been a decent addition? Sure. Would he in any reasonable way replace Semin? Not a chance.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I must have missed the part where staying in Russia magically cuts his abilities in half from what he was capable of last year or something. That Kuznetsov sure sucks, staying in Russia and all.

What...

Maybe the guy wants to stay in Russia, did that ever cross your mind?

I never thought I would see so much *****ing over a $600k low risk high reward signing.

Halpysback*

I'm sorry but the idea that Kostitsyn is in anywhere remotely close to Semin's class offensively is a joke.

Given the offensive skills of the rest of the wingers on the team not named Ovechkin would Kostitsyn have been a decent addition? Sure. Would he in any reasonable way replace Semin? Not a chance.

He'd be the only player on the team with an elite wrist shot other than OV. Not Semin good but not much worse than Ovechkin. Obviously he doesn't have Semin's hands or offensive abilities but he could very well have been a 25g 30a player if we put him in an offensive role with an offensive system with decent linemates. He was also used as a utility Kunitz-type plug in Montreal rather than a go to scorer and did reasonably well in that role. And his play against Detroit last year was very inspired. He hits much harder than Semin could ever hope, and plays physically around the net. That's worth something as well.

Ultimately it comes down to who you think has a better hope of filling Semin's shoes, Kostitsyn or Wolski/Fehr/Perreault/drunk fan who fell over the glass and got a jersey.

Halpysback*

What...

Maybe the guy wants to stay in Russia, did that ever cross your mind?

I never thought I would see so much *****ing over a $600k low risk high reward signing.

Which guy? The one who signed a KHL contract in the middle of September? Yeah, that screams not trying to find a team in the NHL.

I'm still trying to figure out how him signing in the KHL somehow makes him inferior to what he was last year and throughout his career.

Yeah, things cross my mind. You should try it sometime.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Just like he acted with Grunfeld.

Ted has shown that he has close to total faith in his GMs so long as they execute The Plan.

Yeah, Ted is not in touch with reality. He doesn't get that not winning equals losing. He just likes to host the event. Winning is no big deal.

But I have to say I liked how the team played in the playoffs under Huntsy. And I like Oates. We don't have the horses to win it all but it's fun to watch Ovie, Backstrom and the kids.

Halpysback*

Yeah, Ted is not in touch with reality. He doesn't get that not winning equals losing. He just likes to host the event. Winning is no big deal.

But I have to say I liked how the team played in the playoffs under Huntsy. And I like Oates. We don't have the horses to win it all but it's fun to watch Ovie, Backstrom and the kids.

Sounds like we are moving back to zone defense instead of man to man. Which means most of that impressive defensive showing is going to evaporate in favor of watching 4 players standing around with their dicks in their hands.

Wish they could combine man to man with at least a semi-competent offensive style. We don't have the hockey IQ for zone aside from Alzner.

Halpysback*

You know who else has a pretty damn good wrist shot? Eric Fehr.

Yes, which is why I'm happy we got him.

But... he also did score 1 or 2 goals all of last year, and has been a wreck since the winter classic. He's simply not as good a player even if he'll probably surprise.

Liberati0n*

I don't really get the Fehr is lazy stuff. In the Montreal series, Fehr was one of three Caps forwards who played like he gave a damn. Not surprisingly, he was probably our third best forward in that series.

Semin was first, right? :sarcasm:

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Fehr's better than Chris Simon and Oates somehow got 29 goals out of Simon.

Oates: "See guys, if you curve the toe of your sticks and play like me even the butt plugs can get 20 goals. George - go get me some butt plugs."

George: "Wojo and Fehr. Mission Accomplished."

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Sounds like we are moving back to zone defense instead of man to man. Which means most of that impressive defensive showing is going to evaporate in favor of watching 4 players standing around with their dicks in their hands.

Wish they could combine man to man with at least a semi-competent offensive style. We don't have the hockey IQ for zone aside from Alzner.
Ugh you're kidding me right. It's impossible to play man to man with an offensive attack! It's not too hard to realize. The Caps were in their one zone 75% of the game chasing the puck. And once they did get the puck back, there were hardly ever any breakout options because everyone was covering their guys and all over the place, being told not to think 1 bit about offense.

Man to man is an awful system. Why do you think no other team in the NHL uses it? It's completely one dimensional and allows no room for offense. And it's not good defense, it's just deciding not to play offense.

Halpysback*

Ugh you're kidding me right. It's impossible to play man to man with an offensive attack! It's not too hard to realize. The Caps were in their one zone 75% of the game chasing the puck. And once they did get the puck back, there were hardly ever any breakout options because everyone was covering their guys and all over the place, being told not to think 1 bit about offense.

Man to man is an awful system. Why do you think no other team in the NHL uses it? It's completely one dimensional and allows no room for offense. And it's not good defense, it's just deciding not to play offense.

LA and Jersey both used aggressive man to man. Yeah, they forechecked a ton and pressed hard on offense but when they had to do defense you had Salvador and Greene chase puck carriers around and rough them as hard as they could. Nashville has man to man too, it's one of their reasons their defense was so good despite only having 2 great defensemen with both playing on the same pairing. It's simply much more effective. Detroit used zone during their glory years a couple years back but their players have more hockey IQ than the rest of the league combined. If we had 6 Alzners I'd be all for it.

Man to man forces the opposing team to constantly hustle and constantly be pressured. Your lower IQ guys like Green, Schultz and Carlson are at an advantage since they know all they need to do is overpower and disturb whoever they are chasing rather than figuring out all the lanes they need to be covering, which they're not particularly good at. Zone gives the opposition ample time to set up plays. When you're doing zone, you're hoping they make a mistake with minimal pressure on them. If you want zone defense in a nutshell watch the Caps Tampa series where we got swept.

It's possible to do man to man with more offensive commitment. Trotz does it in Nashville. Playing man to man doesn't mean you have to pass up empty net chances and dump the puck 90% of the time. That was all Hunter.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Clearly one of Dale or JJ or both looked at our Dmen and decided it was best to go to man. Who was struggling at zone, if anyone, when they came on board.

I still laugh that Sarge got grounded.

I agree when we did finally get the breakout started, we were often discombobulated and no one knew where anyone would be.

We were one goal away from the ECF doing it.

When we played zone think 2 seasons ago, if Green didn't hit Ovi stretching the D, we also struggled, but it was more structured. Teams knew if they took out Green, we were dead in the water. And we were.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->