Confirmed with Link: Caps Sign Eric Fehr

Icetime

Oct 28, 2006
LA
Fehr is not good. At all.

I will allow that injuries have been a factor is his mediocre at best career, but the dude is a first round bust.

Take a look at the player drafted the pick before and the pick after Fehr was selected in the 2003 draft.

That 2003 first round was chock full of players that turned into excellent NHL players.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fehr was a UFA.

he was an rfa. winnipeg could have kept him with a qualifying offer. they chose not to qualify him and fehr became a free agent. he was not picked up from then til the lockout. so....he was an unemployed, unwanted ufa.

he took what amounts to a try out deal.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
We have a ton of centers, don't be deceived

Ovechkin-Laich-Ward
Backstrom-Ribeiro-Fehr
Wolski-Johansson-Beagle
Chimera-Perreault-Hendricks

That's actually not bad. I really like that but I would put Chimera at #2RW and Ward at #4LW and Fehr at #3LW and Wolski at #1RW. Chimera scored 20 goals last year and Fehr scored 2 goals. Who knows how many goals Chimera would put up on a line with Backstrom and Ribeiro.

After the changes imo:

Ovechkin-Laich-Wolski
Backstrom-Ribeiro-Chimera
Fehr-Johansson-Beagle
Ward-Perreault-Hendricks

Obviously this will never happen because Backstrom and Ovechkin on the same line is just too much of a threat to split up.

Fitlanbox

Jul 10, 2011
That's actually not bad. I really like that but I would put Chimera at #2RW and Ward at #4LW and Fehr at #3LW and Wolski at #1RW. Chimera scored 20 goals last year and Fehr scored 2 goals. Who knows how many goals Chimera would put up on a line with Backstrom and Ribeiro.

After the changes imo:

Ovechkin-Laich-Wolski
Fehr-Johansson-Beagle
Ward-Perreault-Hendricks

Obviously this will never happen because Backstrom and Ovechkin on the same line is just too much of a threat to split up.

Chimera literally has bricks for hands and should not be on either of the top 2 lines. As a fill in, maybe, but 20 goals was the exception, not the norm. Not really any reason to think he wont return to 10 or so goal form. Plus he is good for what he is, slot him on the third line and put someone that actually has some goal scoring talent in a scoring role.

With our lack of playmaking centers for quite some time, I don't even know what I would say if they actually slotted either backstrom or ribero at wing :help:

Halpysback*

After the changes imo:

Ovechkin-Laich-Wolski
Fehr-Johansson-Beagle
Ward-Perreault-Hendricks

Its pretty good but Ribeiro was explicit about having a boner for playing with a right handed sniper.

Maybe

Backstrom Ribeiro Ovechkin
Chimera Johansson Ward
Wolski Perreault Fehr
Hendricks Beagle Brouwer

Alzner Carlson
Laich Green (remember Laich is uber versatile and has not looked out of place playing D, lots of NHL forwards make the switch and are better for it, Burns and Byfuglien for instance. He might be that elusive #3 shutdown D we're looking for).
Hamrlik Orlov
Wow anything without Backstrom at center is non sense IMO.

He's a top 5 center in the league. Use him at center.

That's exactly what the rest of the league is gonna expect. Throw em a curveball.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
They'll live and die with their star players. All of whom underperformed last year. Fehr doesn't leave a big enough footprint to care much either way.

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver
a player that is not qualified, sits on the free agent market, and is signed at or barely above the league minimum is a dumpster dive.

Nice to know you've got an in with all the GMs in the league in confirming no one wanted Fehr.
He's 9 months removed from making 2.2 million. He's 27, and you can't know for sure whether any other teams offered him a deal regardless of salary.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Backstroke is most effective at center... Why is everyone getting a boner for putting him at the wing?? Dumb dumb dumb.

I wanted to move him to D, but no one listened to me. :shakehead

IRTT

I've been *****ing about depth since the last lockout, and this is the definition of a depth signing, so I'm generally pleased with the move.

OTOH, I'm not putting too much stock in Fehr's success in Finland relative to other NHLers. Fehr was playing for a job while he was there, and I'm sure some of the other NHL guys were just trying to stay in shape and make a little money on the side while the other Fehr took care of business.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
a player that is not qualified, sits on the free agent market, and is signed at or barely above the league minimum is a dumpster dive.

So kind of like Sykora last year for the Devils then...?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Its pretty good but Ribeiro was explicit about having a boner for playing with a right handed sniper.

Maybe

Backstrom Ribeiro Ovechkin
Chimera Johansson Ward
Wolski Perreault Fehr
Hendricks Beagle Brouwer

Alzner Carlson
Laich Green (remember Laich is uber versatile and has not looked out of place playing D, lots of NHL forwards make the switch and are better for it, Burns and Byfuglien for instance. He might be that elusive #3 shutdown D we're looking for).
Hamrlik Orlov

That's exactly what the rest of the league is gonna expect. Throw em a curveball.

I honestly have no idea what you are doing here. I suspect this is all sarcasm?

That 3rd line shouldnt even be in the NHL on some nights... Brouwer on the 4th line...and Laich at D?

LOL

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Nice to know you've got an in with all the GMs in the league in confirming no one wanted Fehr.
He's 9 months removed from making 2.2 million. He's 27, and you can't know for sure whether any other teams offered him a deal regardless of salary.

i dont need to know anything inside to know that winnipeg let him walk. once on the open market he was not signed til after the lockout. then i signed a league minimum or near deal. btw...what is the new league minimum? it was 500k.

if teams wanted eric fehr when he became available for less than 2.2m, none offered him a contract that he was willing to sign. maybe he turned down 1.5m somewhere then had a good turn in finland and came home to find only 600k on the table for him.

its logical that he was not wanted before he went to europe and only wanted at a bargain basement price after europe.

i hope it works out. but its a delusion to believe fehr was not snagged off the scrap heap.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So kind of like Sykora last year for the Devils then...?

sure. a player grabbed off the scrap heap for nothing. it worked out. just like hendricks did. knuble is going to the red wings camp. scrap heap.

so....you thinking fehr is going to score 20 like sykora? or are you just taking cheap shots?

Halpysback*

He wasn't wanted in the summer because he just had a horrible year and no one knew if he could play after all his injuries. His stint in Finland at least shows that he's past his injuries to some extent, which was the #1 show stopper for him.

No one wanted Giguere except Colorado too after he crapped the bed in Toronto playing injured. When they got him he healed and was lights out for them.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He wasn't wanted in the summer because he just had a horrible year and no one knew if he could play after all his injuries. Fehr's stint in Finland at least shows that he's past his injuries to some extent, which was the #1 show stopper for him.

No one wanted Giguere except Colorado too after he crapped the bed in Toronto playing injured. When they got him he healed and was lights out for them.

Something here is not the same? One is an Stanley Cup Finals Goalie. The other is a Winter Classic star. One season wonder vs one game wonder?

Is that the same?:sarcasm:

Halpysback*

I wish people didn't dismiss Laich at defense out of hand. He has pretty much all the tools for it except the experience. The times he played he did not look out of place and everyone jokingly wished he was there instead of Schultz, jokingly because people are incapable of comprehending going outside the norm and would rather be sheep contently enslaved by the system. He's disciplined, relatively poised, skates well enough for a mobile DFD doesn't hesitate to block shots, could clear the crease. Even with no experience he's an upgrade on Schultz. We need that hole filled and if this works it would solve a huge, huge problem.

No one thought Byfuglien at defense would work and here we are. Burns is an all star. Markov was a C if people remember.

It's not like I'm suggesting we throw Ovechkin there. Though that might work too in a Byfuglienish way. Hmm...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3