Confirmed with Link: Caps sign D Nate Schmidt

Liberati0n*

I'm watching his interview on Ted's site. Gooniest looking dude I've ever seen, but he seems like a smart kid and pretty likable. It sounds like his having been at the development camp was a pretty crucial factor in his decision to sign.

MackenKracken

Jan 31, 2013
VA
ahhh this is somthing that has always bugged me and havent quite been able to figure out. ahead of time please excuse my lack there of hockey IQ, so we sign this guy from free agency. does this mean he has previously entered the draft and wasn't picked?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
ahhh this is somthing that has always bugged me and havent quite been able to figure out. ahead of time please excuse my lack there of hockey IQ, so we sign this guy from free agency. does this mean he has previously entered the draft and wasn't picked?

I believe so. Is it if your undrafted after you after your first two eligible drafts one becomes a free agent? My sk8 b0t will skynet in and reply.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I believe so. Is it if your undrafted after you after your first two eligible drafts one becomes a free agent? My sk8 b0t will skynet in and reply.

Does that depend on where you are playing? I thought Tanner Pearson was passed over twice before being taken in the 1st round by the Kings last draft.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Does that depend on where you are playing? I thought Tanner Pearson was passed over twice before being taken in the 1st round by the Kings last draft.
For North Americans it's twice. Pearson was passed over once. Schmidt was eligible in 2009 & 2010. The first year he was playing MN HS hockey but there was a stronger chance after his USHL season in Fargo he could have been drafted. Red Line Report had him in their top 100 both years.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2009-06-08-red-line-defensemen_N.htm
There are a ton of candidates for this category, including several who are virtual locks to be selected among the top 40 picks, but are not well known to casual fans. But for Red Line's money, the true definition of a sleeper is a guy who probably won't get selected that high, but has a chance to develop into one of the better players at his position in the draft. Using that as our criteria, we would select Brian Dumoulin and Nate Schmidt as Red Line's real sleepers....

Schmidt, on the other hand, is only average sized, but plays an intensely physical game and packs a helluva wallop. At Red Line, we love Schmidt's all-out aggression and passion for the game. He plays every shift as though it might be his last and brings an ultra competitive edge to the rink every night.

MackenKracken

Jan 31, 2013
VA
For North Americans it's twice. Pearson was passed over once. Schmidt was eligible in 2009 & 2010. The first year he was playing MN HS hockey but there was a stronger chance after his USHL season in Fargo he could have been drafted. Red Line Report had him in their top 100 both years.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2009-06-08-red-line-defensemen_N.htm

makes sense, what do you think kept him from entering 2011&12? development maybe?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
No, that is actually right after looking it over more. The site I used had Pearson as a '93 and he is a '92 as HF listed him.

And it's three times not two so Schmidt was eligible in 2011 as well.

Liberati0n*

I thought he had to play an NHL game to get the first year of his ELC burned. What am I missing? He just had to be on the roster?

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
I thought he had to play an NHL game to get the first year of his ELC burned. What am I missing? He just had to be on the roster?

There is no 'contract slide' for players older than 20. Teams after certain date (Feb 1 IIRC) have an option to choose when does contract kick in -- current or following year. If they choose the current year, it burns automatically.

Liberati0n*

There is no 'contract slide' for players older than 20. Teams after certain date (Feb 1 IIRC) have an option to choose when does contract kick in -- current or following year. If they choose the current year, it burns automatically.

Oh okay. Thank you.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

Did not know about this. Also thought he had to play a game. Thanks for the info.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
No problem. This year I think in the shortened season the 'magic date' after which you can choose when does ELC kick in was Mar 1st. After that teams start to sign a lot of prospects usually and I don't remember many signed in February.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I'm excited to see Schmidt play for you guys... Possibly Saturday?

I currently go to school in Nate's hometown and have kept an eye on him with the Gophers for a couple years now. He's definitely got potential - I hope he can succeed at the NHL level.

Cheers! ;)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Possibly but it would be for their AHL affiliate Hershey. He'd likely have to really tear it up down there to play for the Caps this year unless injuries hit.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

I currently go to school in Nate's hometown and have kept an eye on him with the Gophers for a couple years now. He's definitely got potential - I hope he can succeed at the NHL level.

Cheers! ;)

I am waiting too. I guess they could play him over Hillen for a game.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Schmidt with a secondary assist in his AHL debut.

@timleone: Tied 1-1 after 2. Crabb scores with 54.4 left. Set up off initial Schmidt shot, good for his 1st pro point. SYR up 16-11 in shots.

@timleone: Schmidt has nice shot and is pretty composed. Trying to skate through too many guys at times.

goph94

Freezing
Mar 21, 2006
As a Caps fan in Minnesota, this signing made me very happy. I saw Schmidt every week, and Jaykay's post about him was spot on.

To add on, yes he did play F. He actually played there the first 2 yrs of high school and then converted to D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad