Confirmed with Link: Caps sign D Nate Schmidt

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Saw Schmidt a few times this year while watching Brady Skjei. He's a terrific signing for you guys, and it sounds like he addresses a need. Hope he works out for you.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I'm the guy who hinted at the signing in your speculation thread last night, here for a follow up.

You guys should be really excited about this signing, I didn't want to hype him up too much last night because it wasn't a sure thing yet but this kid can really play. He played on a power play unit that included Erik Haula (MIN), Nick Bjugstad (FLA), Zach Budish (NSH), and Kyle Rau (FLA). There were times when Schmidt looked like the best offensive player of the five and he was playing with 4 extremely talented, drafted forwards. He has a great shot and he has a knack for getting it through traffic; he also showed some really great vision while quarterbacking the PP.

Oilers Chick's assessment of him was pretty spot on. He's really improved on defense and the biggest knock on him now is probably his size, which isn't even a problem IMO (6'0, 195). He uses his body well and isn't afraid to throw his weight around, but he isn't really a hitter like a few have suggested.

To answer a few questions, he played pretty well when put at forward even though it was somewhat obvious that it was not his natural position. He just put his head down and worked and never complained and that earned him a lot of respect from Gopher fans. He should have been playing defense his whole career but we had an atrocious assistant coach by the name of John Hill who said he would never be a D1 defenseman :shakehead. Fast forward to the next year and he's arguably the best offensive defenseman in the nation not named Justin Schultz.

I saw someone mention that he converted to D in high school, not sure if that's true. He started playing varsity for St. Cloud Cathedral as an 8th grader and was playing D at that point. He was a a guy that the Gophers started keeping an eye on when he was only 13 or 14 years old, kind of a prodigy.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Thanks for the comments, all. I'm looking forward to seeing Schmidt play.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
No no no!

Say goodbye Mike Green!

Remember the Oates rule.

handprints_black.png

I hope to god it's 55 moving, but I don't think so.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
This could be a very cost effective signing:

Schmidt
Schultz

Same number of letters, just needs to replace the last 4 letters on the jersey, he'll have to have 5 in his jersey somewhere, number 55 would be the first choice, 15's now available as well (thank you Joey Crabb)

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Like Langway said that was directed at Housley not this kid :)

I'm very excited hearing about him actually!! If he plays physical then I'm sold

I wonder how things would have worked out had Housley and Coffey flipped careers.....if Housley played with 99/66/88 in their primes and with the Red Wings during their rise in the 90's

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I wonder how things would have worked out had Housley and Coffey flipped careers.....if Housley played with 99/66/88 in their primes and with the Red Wings during their rise in the 90's

Very similar players. Coffey might've had a better shot—I can't remember for sure. Larry Murphy was good too but not as good as Coffey and Housley.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
So is he on the main roster or down in the AHL right now? I'd much rather see him out there instead of Schultz or Hillen.

My preferred long-term D line would look like

Alzner / Carlson
Orlov / ????
Erskine\Schmidt\Hillen\whoever / Olesky

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
So is he on the main roster or down in the AHL right now? I'd much rather see him out there instead of Schultz or Hillen.

My preferred long-term D line would look like

Alzner / Carlson
Orlov / ????
Erskine\Schmidt\Hillen\whoever / Olesky

He's on the roster now. I imagine that's more to do with an agreement to burn a year of his ELC off in order to get him to sign than it is him being NHL ready, though.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
He's on the roster now. I imagine that's more to do with an agreement to burn a year of his ELC off in order to get him to sign than it is him being NHL ready, though.
That about sums it up. Quite a few in the past have gotten sent down the following season.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

That would be interesting to see.

While they both were offensive dmen and great skaters there was a huge difference between the two.

Coffey was ornery. He was always cranky and involved physically and loved to use his stick to send a message. The guy was mean.

Housley believed this to be a non contact league. Unlike Larry Murphy, Phil was not smart defensively and didn't have the same "stick".

Either way it seems this Schmidt kid is not like Housley and thats a good thing in my book. I was never a huge fan of his.

SlappaDaBass

May 7, 2012
If he continues to makes plays like this then I think he'll fit in nicely here.

Well for some reason the embedding isn't working.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
If he continues to makes plays like this then I think he'll fit in nicely here.

Well for some reason the embedding isn't working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6QSoWOInBg

That was the biggest play of his Gopher career, it clinched the conference championship. Great play to keep the puck in the zone and even better shot.

If you want a good example of his skating go to 1:33 in this video. That's first round pick Derek Forbort he's leaving in the dust.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Considering the descriptions, is a high end comparison of Duncan Keith fair?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad