Confirmed with Link: Caps sign D Nate Schmidt

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Apparently this kid was ranked highly out of college UFAs

I know nothing about him.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Any indications whether he's someone they'd give a game this season to burn a year?
I doubt it. I think he needs a bit more polish.

He was Red Line Report's #2 NCAA UFA behind DeKeyser:
Perennial Red Line favourite was twice ranked in our top 100 for the NHL draft. Has a ton of heart and plays every shift as if it were his last. Not the biggest dog in the fight at just 6-0/194 pounds, but hurls his body with reckless abandon and never gives up on a play. Exceptionally physical, punishing open-ice hitter who loves to initiate contact. Mean, nasty disposition and hits to hurt and intimidate. Very strong skater with speed and agility. Gets overaggressive and has tendency to force the play offensively. Has been a terrific PP quarterback throughout his career, making sound decision in puck distribution and taking charge. Love the passion and intensity he brings every shift.
I haven't seen enough of the physicality personally but he does run a PP adeptly and likes to lead the rush. An American Orlov isn't that far off of a comparison, though he actually may be a better skater.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
That's a good signing. I mean, he's a prospect. Not a blue-chipper but I kid who has a chance to be a top 4 D man it sounds like.

bonzilla

Aug 3, 2005
Va
Too lazy to look, but I read last night that he's the #1in points among D-1 D men..Not too shabby!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He'll practice on Wednesday with the Caps.
@CapitalsPR: Capitals have signed free agent defenseman Nate Schmidt to a two-year, entry-level contract beginning this season.

Surprised but the competition likely offered the same opportunity.

The blueline decisions just became a little more interesting.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
"Best UDFA of this year's class, IMO. Silky smooth hands, very good skating, strong in transition. Doesn't have the biggest shot but seems to have a knack for getting it through. Size is a downsize but he's not completely undersized"

Found this in his thread on the main boards.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
Top 3 in NCAA points for a d-man. I am not a talent evaluator, but I did see him play 5-6 times on TV this winter. He definitely stood out on a pretty decent Gopher team.

This has to be the domino that boots 55, no? I mean, for a 6th rounder, please?

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
He'll practice on Wednesday with the Caps.

@CapitalsPR: Capitals have signed free agent defenseman Nate Schmidt to a two-year, entry-level contract beginning this season.

Yeah.

@CapitalsPR Schmidt will participate in the Capitals practice on Wednesday at Kettler Capitals Iceplex.

bonzilla

Aug 3, 2005
Va

Went with the team that has the crapiest D, no doubt.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Sounds a little bit like a left shot Oleksy :yo:

Small frame but hits with a thud, can skate, has a little O.

George is continuing to target players that actually hit. I want him to make a statement, and ship out one that does not, then perhaps he will not need to go out get a bunch that do; the others would get the memo. The core of HitLiters remains intact.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Greeting Caps fans!

Just saw that your team has signed Nate Schmidt. Excellent signing and not surprised that he was snapped up.

I saw Nate a lot at Minnesota, so here's the skinny on him:

As NobodyBeatsTheWiz mentioned, Nate is an offensive-minded defenseman, with a big shot. Nate's greatest asset IMO is his skating. He's very smooth and can quickly get up to speed. He transitions exceedingly well. And those assets have allowed him to skate with college hockey's faster guys and cover a lot of ice.

While a lot has been said about Nate's offensive abilities and instincts, which are great BTW, the only thing that seems to be lost in all of the discussion is how well he plays defensively. His gap control and containment is good, not afraid to play the body (although I wouldn't call him a "tough guy" - read that rack up the PIMs) and his stick is good too. One thing that Nate did exceedingly well at Minnesota this year IMO is how quickly he's been able to strip pucks off sticks and either get passes up to his teammates or make clears. He's just so good and so confident with the puck.

The biggest hurdle obviously for Nate will be how well/quickly can he adapt to the pro game. I think he'll be fine and want to wish him all the best with the Caps.

I hope this helps.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Sounds a little bit like a left shot Oleksy :yo:

Small frame but hits with a thud, can skate, has a little O.

George is continuing to target players that actually hit. I want him to make a statement, and ship out one that does not, then perhaps he will not need to go out get a bunch that do; the others would get the memo. The core of HitLiters remains intact.

There is hope yet.

Love the run down of him. Mean, nasty and like to hit? Count me in!

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Greeting Caps fans!

Just saw that your team has signed Nate Schmidt. Excellent signing and not surprised that he was snapped up.

I saw Nate a lot at Minnesota, so here's the skinny on him:

As NobodyBeatsTheWiz mentioned, Nate is an offensive-minded defenseman, with a big shot. Nate's greatest asset IMO is his skating. He's very smooth and can quickly get up to speed. He transitions exceedingly well. And those assets have allowed him to skate with college hockey's faster guys and cover a lot of ice.

While a lot has been said about Nate's offensive abilities and instincts, which are great BTW, the only thing that seems to be lost in all of the discussion is how well he plays defensively. His gap control and containment is good, not afraid to play the body (although I wouldn't call him a "tough guy" - read that rack up the PIMs) and his stick is good too. One thing that Nate did exceedingly well at Minnesota this year IMO is how quickly he's been able to strip pucks off sticks and either get passes up to his teammates or make clears. He's just so good and so confident with the puck.

The biggest hurdle obviously for Nate will be how well/quickly can he adapt to the pro game. I think he'll be fine and want to wish him all the best with the Caps.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, Oilers Chick! Maybe the kid will turn out to be a kind of Phil Housley.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for the info, Oilers Chick! Maybe the kid will turn out to be a kind of Phil Housley.

If you mean not playing a lick of defense and avoiding any form of contact then I sure hope not!

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

AHA! Now we know why Jeff Schultz has been getting the sweater of late, to convince Schmidt how thin and desparate the Caps are along the blue line and that he stands a real good chance of stepping right in. Genius I tell you, just pure genius from the Caps management.

Halpysback*

He'll be put in with Olesky, impress like crazy for 10 games and then be scratched in favor of 55 come playoff time.

Olesky must be thanking his lucky stars that he's a right shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad