Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Would absolutely trade Bura still, even when he's clicking his style of play is more of a risk than it is reward. He's also somewhat of a redundancy at this point. Part of the reason we're successful if we have so many styles on our team.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It seems like if Bura doesn't take a shot, he goes into possession/passing mode, and at that point its only a matter of time before there is a turnover. Yes I am aware he got a secondary last night, but then finished -1. We need him to score a bunch more goals to bump up his trade value.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
We should learn from this season that you need to give guys a chance to grow into new roles, I'm sure Orlov can handle 1PK and Kempny/Djoos/Johansen/Bowey can handle 2PK. If not you get a D at the deadline.

Orpik is 2nd biggest guy on the team after Ovi. And Orlov very well could be not that much behind Brooks in the strength department (because Orlov is a f***ing tank).

BUT sending Orlov to block everything for 82 games in RS sounds like a dumb strategy for our best offensive D.

Kempny/Djoos/Johansen are far from Orlov in physicality, AINEC.

Orlov-Kempny-Djoos are all the same player (by style) just one is bigger stronger and better.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
why? did you want to lose Willy?
It's because if GMBM had protected four defensemen to keep Schmidt, McPhee would've been left simply to make his pick and choose only one of Wilson or Grubauer (or another player). When you think about it, it actually kind of makes McPhee sound like he was clueless too. The ask doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
why? did you want to lose Willy?

It’s more that if he was willing to give up Wilson AND Grubauer for Schmidt, why not just protect Schmidt?

I think it worked out okay for Washington but this is another nugget that seems to suggest MacLellan didn’t really prepare well for the 2017 offseason.

Reactions: Drakon

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Why not just not protect Mojo? Or did they not and I missed it?
In hindsight, that's what they should have done -- protect Ovechkin/Backstrom/Kuznetsov/Wilson and Carlson/Orlov/Niskanen/Schmidt. McPhee presumably would've taken Johansson or Burakovsky. At the time, it would've been harder to justify Wilson over Burakovsky, and they were I think concerned about losing Eller too. The thing is that it doesn't seem like they really anticipated having to trade Johansson for picks as they did...the whole thing just seemed like they were scrambling without an overall plan.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It's because if GMBM had protected four defensemen to keep Schmidt, McPhee would've been left simply to make his pick and choose only one of Wilson or Grubauer (or another player). When you think about it, it actually kind of makes McPhee sound like he was clueless too. The ask doesn't make sense.

Yeah. Protecting 4D would have been the smart choice in retrospect, but he absolutely should not have exposed Willy. And to your later point, yeah, he should have exposed Mojo instead.

It’s more that if he was willing to give up Wilson AND Grubauer for Schmidt, why not just protect Schmidt?

I think it worked out okay for Washington but this is another nugget that seems to suggest MacLellan didn’t really prepare well for the 2017 offseason.

I read it as Makfi asked for Wilson and Gruby in exchange for not taking Schmidt. Not sure how it makes BMac look less prepared for the offseason.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
I read it as Makfi asked for Wilson and Gruby in exchange for not taking Schmidt. Not sure how it makes BMac look less prepared for the offseason.

The fact that they were having the discussion makes them both look bad, I think. GMBM shouldn't said wtf. Arguably it would've been smart of him to infer that Grubauer and Wilson were McPhee's top picks after Schmidt and protected Wilson/Schmidt in reaction, leaving him to take Grubauer (risky, but...).

I wonder who gave Isabelle the information and why. The simplest explanation is GMBM's side is trying to justify losing Schmidt by leaking how high the asking price was -- if so, then they really seem dumb. Maybe MacLellan leaked it to make McPhee look bad. :laugh:

Reactions: RandyHolt

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
read it as Makfi asked for Wilson and Gruby in exchange for not taking Schmidt. Not sure how it makes BMac look less prepared for the offseason.

I didn’t read it that way at first but after re-reading the article I’m not sure what is meant.

Either way I think the expansion draft decisions worked out well in the end despite me not liking them before the season started. Eller, Wilson, and Grubauer were all instrumental this season. Eller is already locked up long-term and Wilson almost surely will be re-signed as well, and Grubauer’s likely going to be traded at near peak value despite a tough 2 playoff games. Having Schmidt certainly would have been a boon but I doubt he would have surpassed Orlov on the depth chart. Orlov still brings a bit more to the table so Schmidt would have been relegated to a second pairing ES defender, second unit PKer, and basically zero PP time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Wilson almost surely will be re-signed as well.

Its hard to know tone and attitude in written words. Wilson is core. He is irreplaceable. There is no way that I would swap Wilson for Schmidt as much as I love Schmiddy.
Meanwhile not at all surprised that McPhee was working an angle to try and get Wilson. McPhee got fired over Wilson.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
Yeah. Protecting 4D would have been the smart choice in retrospect, but he absolutely should not have exposed Willy. And to your later point, yeah, he should have exposed Mojo instead.

I think mostly because he knew about the raises the were going to need to happen, which would necessitate someone being moved, and first in that list was obviously Mojo. Given that, expose him. If he DIDN'T know those were coming, BMac was definitely unprepared.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

McPhee would have been left with choosing one of Mojo, Burky, Eller, Wilson, or Grubauer, minus the forward they protect.

4 and 4 with Wilson as a forward exposes Burky, Mojo, and Eller. One of them would have been taken and we have no evidence to suspect it would have been one over another, though centers are inherently worth more.

Which of those three has the most value to Washington (clearly not Mojo)? I'd say Eller. The question then comes down to this: Wilson, Eller, or Schmidt. Who do you allow to be selected?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Obvious cross-post from the Schmidt thread. It was closed as I was typing this.

Seems maybe that you are more focused on “process” than you are on “results”.

Guys you are throwing some shade at are making huge differences — Right now. Wilson, Orpik, etc.
I'm not "throwing shade" at anyone. Calling Wilson a complimentary player is not throwing shade.
If you want me to "throw shade" at someone, I will say that Orpik's first goal in two millennia doesn't change that he's been a liability more often than he's been a benefit this post-season.

Would you rather be “right” and have Nate win the Cup? Or be “wrong” and have the Caps win, on the continued back of the guys we should have exposed or let go?

I honestly cannot tell.
Another false dilemma. I can both enjoy the Capitals winning the cup AND have an opinion on the roster moves that occurred along the way.

There are a million things that went right for the Capitals to get this far, many of which were outside of the Caps control. In one respect, the Caps have simply had a lot more "puck luck" than any post-season I can remember. Remember Eller's 2OT goal in game 3 against Columbus to stop them from going down 0-3? A crazy bounce. Pittsburgh rang the iron in game 6 OT shortly before Kuznetsov closed out that series. Yanni Gourde not being able to convert on a puck that was sitting in the crease in front of an open net in game 7 against Tampa was huge for the Capitals. These are all examples of plays that would typically go against the Capitals in previous post-seasons. To an extent, you can even view Holtby's miraculous save in game 2 against Vegas in a similar light (thank goodness that Tuch didn't elevate that puck). The hockey gods have finally (finally!) smiled upon the Capitals this post-season. I'm enjoying every second of the magic that has transpired. We also had the good fortune that Pittsburgh played like mortals finally (Kessel, Malkin, and Hagelin all hurt, Letang playing like garbage, no Fleury, Murray not in god-mode, etc), as opposed to the near flawless level they displayed in the previous two post-seasons. And even among the things that are within the realm of Capitals "control," so much of it has come from the continued development of some players that haven't always come up big in past post-seasons. Kuznetsov, Orlov, Stephenson, and Wilson (yes, Wilson) have elevated their games at the right times. Not to mention Holtby returning to form after he faltered last off-season and in the second half of this regular season.

If we roll two dice, and I let you guess what the outcome will be, if you pick 12 and then we happen to roll 12, does that mean picking 12 was the best decision? No, it just happened to be a lucky one. The odds are six times higher that you will roll a 7 than a 12. If a team wins the cup, it doesn't mean every roster move was the optimal roster move, or even a positive decision. Case in point - Marcus Johansson, Tyler Graovac, and Jakub Jerabek. They traded for Graovac in order to be able to meet the requirements for exposing enough veteran forwards. One of the forwards they protected as a result of that trade (Johansson) was traded a couple weeks later. The dissonance between those two roster moves is obvious. Graovac did nothing to help this team, and was almost instantly replaced by the players in Hershey. They also spent a draft pick on Jerabek, who did nothing but be a terrible liability in games 1 and 2 against Columbus and get his ass shipped off to the press box for the rest of the post-season. Almost any hockey fan should be able to look at moves like these and understand that it's possible to have legitimate criticisms of roster decisions, regardless of the outcome of the season. Once you accept that paradigm, you can understand my perspective a little better. Winning a Stanley Cup doesn't mean that every decision along the way was ideal.

The trade demands of McPhee after the protection lists were submitted doesn't change the core of my gripe here. Read back through all the pages in this thread, I never once said they should have made a trade with Vegas to save Schmidt from being picked once the protection lists were locked in. I said they should have foreseen the issues coming better than they did (both with regards to protection and the salary cap), and made the corresponding moves ahead of the expansion draft. By the time the protection lists are submitted, McPhee and Vegas have all the leverage. @Langway has posts in this thread along similar lines. Other franchises were able to navigate out of even worse positions before the expansion draft.

Any idea why that is? I’m expecting a smug retort....but maybe you will surprise me.
Because the pot and the kettle are both black. Smug enough?

Reactions: billcook

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Jeff Schultz was once +50

Orpik's +16 seems a lot less shiny when you realize he's been on the ice for a team high 12 goals against on the PK. He also gives up High Danger Chances Against at even-strength at the highest rate of any Capitals D this post-season. And that's despite playing a limited role with relatively sheltered match-ups.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Jeff Schultz was once +50

Orpik's +16 seems a lot less shiny when you realize he's been on the ice for a team high 12 goals against on the PK. He also gives up High Danger Chances Against at even-strength at the highest rate of any Capitals D this post-season. And that's despite playing a limited role with relatively sheltered match-ups.

Yep. He’s just terrible. You convinced me. o_O

Too bad his teammates adore him. They most be real morons, rallying behind such an anchor.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yep. He’s just terrible. You convinced me. o_O

Too bad his teammates adore him. They most be real morons, rallying behind such an anchor.
Brooks Laich was popular in the locker room, as well. Chris Clark was beloved in the locker room (and is actually the fourth longest tenured team captain in Capitals history). That doesn't change that they weren't effective players at the end of their tenures in Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad