Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Some players were born in these playoffs. Vrana, Stephenson will surely see the direction they need to go to have further success. They will cost 1,5M next season (for BOTH) then RFA. That's huge potentially.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The one guy that may end up pricing himself out due to exposure is Kempny, particularly if they're able to go deeper. I've liked his game. It's been sound but it hasn't been downright amazing. It's been adequate and that alone in high stakes could perhaps land him one of those sweetheart UFA deals from some needy team willing to overpay for a month or two of fairly solid play on a contender. I'd like to have him back but this stage could help Djoos further along, too. He's handled himself fairly well, albeit on the right side. I'm not sure he'll mature into a second pair guy alongside Carlson but it's possible. Playoff success this season could allow them the freedom to sweat the regular season less and to more honestly tackle larger developmental goals over the course of the regular season just so long as they're maintaining a playoff pace. So, yeah, at least getting over the second round hump helps big picture and so does the confidence and experience gained by those youngsters.

Tampa Bay will be a real challenge and one that may chart the course for what remains to improve upon. Or not, if they're able to prevail. Either way it's huge experience for all involved.

Reactions: calicapsfan

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
That definitely seems out of left field. Late bloomer maybe.
Yeah his stats are really weird. 1 assist in 18 u20-WJC games, spent a year playing juniors in Canada and put up 3 points in 40 games for the Regina Pats, then spent a year playing juniors in Austria, then spent a large portion of a year playing in Germany's third division. Then somehow he really got better and had surprisingly good seasons in the 16-17 and 17-18 DEL.

Weird.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Some players were born in these playoffs. Vrana, Stephenson will surely see the direction they need to go to have further success. They will cost 1,5M next season (for BOTH) then RFA. That's huge potentially.

Yes.

Vrana has shown he's a top 6 player, with a bit of muscle. And Stephenson and Gersich look like players who can fill out that bottom 6 nicely for a few years, minimum.

I'm still not sold on Connolly or Burakovsky.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I liked Bau last year. He improved over the course of the year. Don't believe that he would be pushing for a roster spot in Washington but a decent depth scoring option for Hershey. Looks like they are stocking up the forward prospect pool to try and help balance out all the recent graduations to Washington.

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
Mathias Bau looks like a giant on the ice. Hes gonna be a better version of Jannik Hansen. A guy who has grit and works hard in the corners. Caps made a killer signing with this dude, im sure. Excellent 3rd liner for sure.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

tenor.gif

Reactions: g00n and VaCaps Fan

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
His other predictions for WSH free agents:

Carlson: 8 years, $8.6M AAV
Wilson: 4 years, $3.6M AAV
DSP: 2 years, $880K AAV
Chaisson: 2 years, $1.1M AAV
Beagle: 2 years, $1.5M AAV
Boyd: 1 year, $650K AAV
Kempny: 2 years, $1.25M AAV
Bowey: 1 year, $836K AAV

Carlson's prediction might seem a touch high but there are going to be a lot of teams bidding for his services so it wouldn't surprise me if he got $8.6M. 8 years seems like a given at this point if WSH signs him.

Wilson's prediction seems in line with what I think he might get.

Kempny's prediction seems too low given that he's a UFA and I bet other teams are paying attention to him given what he's provided so far. He's still likely to be a good value no matter what.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Do major gaffe's hurt players come contract time?

The behind the back pass of Kempny's hurt us but hopefully can save us a few bucks.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
After consulting with a sports psychologist, Andre Burakovsky is confident he can ‘reach new levels’
Andre Burakovsky added seven pounds of muscle in the offseason, but strength between the ears is where the Washington forward hopes he’s improved most.

Last season — his second in the NHL — Burakovsky tallied 17 goals and 38 points while enduring a 25-game stretch without a goal. This summer, he worked with a sports psychologist in Sweden to help him avoid another prolonged drought.
From two years ago. Time to move on from this headcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad