Confirmed with Link: Caps Claim LW Aaron Volpatti

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
4th liner with size who hits well and fights.

Pros:
Good skater
Heart and soul guy
Good effort level
Hits hard
Can stick up for teammates

Cons:
Can't PK
No offense
Can't clear the D zone well (leads to long shifts and gets his line hemmed)
Some bad reads in the zone (goes for hit when he should see it'll lead to an odd man rush)

Some Nucks fans love him because he's the only "big tough 4th liner" we had. If he's put on a line with a good #4C he'll do fine. Sometimes when he can't clear the puck it leads to a possession team like the Canucks being screwed. Also he sometimes stays out too long (like twice a game).

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water

Pros:
Good skater
Heart and soul guy
Good effort level
Hits hard

Cons:
Can't PK
No offense
Some bad reads in the zone (goes for hit when he should see it'll lead to an odd man rush)

Some Nucks fans love him because he's the only "big tough 4th liner" we had. If he's put on a line with a good #4C he'll do fine. Sometimes when he can't clear the puck it leads to a possession team like the Canucks being screwed. Also he sometimes stays out too long (like twice a game).

Thanks. He can create a competitive environment in the bottoms and give the Caps an edge with the mitts.

dashtary*

Honestly haven't watched much of him. But sounds/seems like a solid fourth liner. He can drop the mits with anyone, and can at least play hockey.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Some speculation on the 'Nucks board that they waived Volpatti to clear room for Pinizzotto. If that's the truth, then we're screwed. I love Pinner, but he's an AHL grinder at best. Guy had trouble staying in the Hershey line-up a couple years ago, and looks like his skates are made from sandpaper. Not to mention he spent all of last year injured.

It's speculation, but none of us really know for sure. I personally have no idea why MG would risk losing Volpatti over Pinizzotto if that actually is the case. That makes very little sense.

And just generally have no idea why Volpatti would have been placed on waivers to be sent down at this time anyway. Stupid move. Minor, but stupid.

Pros:
Good skater
Heart and soul guy
Good effort level
Hits hard

Cons:
Can't PK
No offense

Pretty accurate. I'm seeing a lot of rose-coloured glasses in Canuckville right now, though. I mean, he's a decent 4th line winger; can skate, hit, fight and follow the "hockey code" (such as it is these days) but he's nothing really all that special. Definitely a passably physical player and an asset more often than not, but he's not even close to being an enforcer, if that's what any Caps fans were hoping for. He'll lay out some hits along the boards and drop the gloves now and again, but he's never going to be a deterrent for any properly tough NHL player. Nobody who was hitting Mike Green before will be put off by Volpatti's acquisition.

Still, he's decent for his pay grade and size. Don't like losing him for nothing, and don't understand why he was on waivers.

Later, Peppermint. Enjoy Washington.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Enjoy him Caps, he will be good for you on your 4th line. I really hope this is part of some bigger scheme from the Canucks management otherwise it was so wasteful to let him go like this.

LeanBeef

Sep 4, 2012

Pros:
Good skater
Heart and soul guy
Good effort level
Hits hard

Cons:
Can't PK
No offense

He actually does well in his own zone and his hits rarely lead to an odd man rush. I would say (I've been watching him even before he was on the nucks) his only cons would be stickhandling and keeping the play alive in the ozone.

Hope you guys take care and enjoy him, really underrated fourth liner.

Hope he smashes Campbell or McQuaid's face when you guys play the Bruins, good luck.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not happy we lost Patti, he was always a gamer. His fighting however, while very entertaining, is not where his value lies. He is a monster hitter. If somebody runs Green, Patti will turn it loose on their D (and will usually avoid taking a stupid penalty while doing it). Our team will now have to cough up the lunch money to everyone we play. Sigh.

According to the Anti-Violence Brigade, this doesn't really happen and is "absurd".

:sarcasm:

BobbyCarpenter

Jan 22, 2008
Houston, TX
Any former hockey player goons - I would like your input on this.

How long does it typically take a guy like AV to feel like he should stick up for his teammates? Do we expect him to come in and throw down the gloves for a teammate within the first game?

Efactor

Dec 10, 2002
hfboards.mandatory.com

How long does it typically take a guy like AV to feel like he should stick up for his teammates? Do we expect him to come in and throw down the gloves for a teammate within the first game?

Yes, right away its his job. Even if the player he is sticking up for is boning his wife, he still must drop them and fight.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
If the Caps had any LWs at all, an experienced keeper, and a 2LD, they'd be fairly mediocre.

??? - Ribs - OV
??? - Backs - Troy
Fehr - MP - Ward
Volp - Beags - Hendy
(Laich,Chim,MoJo,lolski,Crabb)

Alz - Green
??? - Carlson
Erskine - Kund
(Orlov,Hamr,Poti,Sarge)

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow

I'm not a goon, but if it was my only NHL chance...

"Hmmm, I'm not familiar with this guys at all, OK, I'll watch my teammate taking a cheapshot, maybe he deserved it. I'd better just skate around. Will prolly fight next time".

No, not like that.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

Pros:
Good skater
Heart and soul guy
Good effort level
Hits hard

Cons:
Can't PK
No offense

Well then he was always meant to be a Cap

Kmode

Nov 3, 2006

I guarantee Volpatti wil drop the mitts in his first game. He will want to prove to teammates and fans that he's a gamer.

I expect he will go with Thorburn tomorrow night and it will be entertaining.

As a Canucks fan, I will miss this guy. Not many players in the league show the compete level he does and he hits EVERYTHING in sight and doesn't take stupid penalties.

I've seen a few fans have written that he takes long shifts, but I'm guessing they've never played competitive hockey before. Every time I've noticed his long shifts it's because he is playing the far wing and it's a long change. Because our 4th line is ALWAYS hemmed in our own zone, the far-side winger doesn't have an opportunity to change without causing the team to be short-handed for 10 seconds.

Enjoy this kid, he is entertaining and does his job well.

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
I like this more and more as I read Canucks fans reaction to him being gone, check out the comments section on the TSN site regarding him being claimed by the Caps. Canucks fans are NOT happy.

Fans generally like players like this. Doesn't mean they are really going to make a difference.

Hell, Donald Brashear was loved here and could barely skate. Remember when people were excited about DJ King. How is he doing?

dles

Jan 27, 2013
If the Caps had any LWs at all, an experienced keeper, and a 2LD, they'd be fairly mediocre.

??? - Ribs - OV
??? - Backs - Troy
Fehr - MP - Ward
Volp - Beags - Hendy
(Laich,Chim,MoJo,lolski,Crabb)

Alz - Green
??? - Carlson
Erskine - Kund
(Orlov,Hamr,Poti,Sarge)

Kuz and Forsberg. Possibly two of the best people playing outside the NHL right now and could come in as good as backy/ovi. So I don't know why everyone's crying about our line-up being bad in the future.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Kuz and Forsberg have a lot to prove. If they keep working they might be good to great NHLers. But it's no guarantee.

Ovie and Nick have plenty to prove themselves. Our team is a mess.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Kuz and Forsberg have a lot to prove. If they keep working they might be good to great NHLers. But it's no guarantee.

Ovie and Nick have plenty to prove themselves. Our team is a mess.

Disagree i dont think Kuz has to prove anything. His KHL ressume is good enough for me to know hes gonna be the real deal with he signs with the NHL

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Disagree i dont think Kuz has to prove anything. His KHL ressume is good enough for me to know hes gonna be the real deal with he signs with the NHL

Of course he has a lot to prove. The kid has never played in the NHL. I love the kid's game but I've seen too many disappointments. He'll play but is he going to be a legit NHL star for many years? A Hall of Famer? Or just a guy who chips in on offense but doesn't compete all over the ice?

He has to prove himself like every other player. (I think he'll be good, maybe great).

Forsberg seems to have a great attitude but he might max out as a 2nd line winger. He has a long way to go. I mean, it's one thing to make the league. It's something else to win the Cup.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Brashear made Ovie and Co. way way more brave. He helped the team a TON.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad