Confirmed with Link: Caps Claim LW Aaron Volpatti

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Kuznetsov has to prove that he can be an NHL star. But there is no doubt in my mind that with a good center he's gonna score around 20 (or more) in his first season. Might be a minus player.. but that's another story, lol.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
Hey guys, Nucks fan here weighing in with my 2 cents.

Volpatti is a great team guy. I loved him for what he was, I'm very disappointed we lost him on waivers. As has been mentioned, our 4th line is easily one of the best we've had in the last few years, and Volpatti was, of course, part of it.

The recent Canucks player that I would use to compare him, is Torres. Roughly the same size - 6'1 215 - and very fast, gets around the ice quickly, and he's a wrecking ball out there, just like Torres. But Volpatti isn't a moron like Torres - actually an ivy-leaguer I believe. Volpatti is intelligent, and he seemed disciplined too. But he hits everything. But unlike Torres, he won't put up ~20 points per year, he doesn't have great puck skills and won't contribute offensively too much.

The downside is if he gets hemmed in his zone he can have a bit of trouble getting out, because he doesn't have tremendous puck skills. And he probably won't put up many points.

The upside is that he was one of our very best players on the forcheck, he hits like a little missile. Oh yeah and he's a very good fighter for his size, he can chuck 'em and he's willing to go with just about anyone, and he'll stand up for teammates for sure. But he's not a knuckledragger - he's a hockey player who can play 5 - 12 minutes a game, depending on how he's used and how he develops.

I knew he'd get picked up, especially with buzz of teams already wanting him the day he was put on waivers - I can't believe our team thought he might not be picked up. Considering you guys were only the 3rd team in line to grab him, I'm guessing quite a few teams put a claim in for him. But I like the Caps, so that's a consolation prize. Good luck guys and with your talented team I'm amazed you guys aren't doing a lot better than you are. But it's just a matter of time for you guys, there's way too much talent on your team not to do well. Good luck!

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Ugh... too much Matt Bradley style in that fight today. I hope he picks his spots better in the future. No sense in getting hurt, and I'm sure some of those haymakers by Pelosi (spelled right?) landed.

In my best Brittish accent: "That's got ta hurt"

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
Kuz and Forsberg. Possibly two of the best people playing outside the NHL right now and could come in as good as backy/ovi. So I don't know why everyone's crying about our line-up being bad in the future.
You forgot Galiev. The anti-Young Turks contingent was certain his QMJHL playoff stats was enough proof that he was going to be top-6 in Washington this season.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Ugh... too much Matt Bradley style in that fight today. I hope he picks his spots better in the future. No sense in getting hurt, and I'm sure some of those haymakers by Pelosi (spelled right?) landed.

I didn't think it was a terrible spot. Score was even, at the end of the period so his line wasn't going to get a shift during his major anyway, and since it was at the end of a period, if you lose, momentum doesn't really carry. Could have picked a smaller dude, but whatever. He landed a few punches before getting tossed around by a bigger dude. I would have liked to see him score when he got his stick on the puck briefly in front of the net (or at least get it on goal) but not really expected. What struck me most is he really looked like he had no idea what he was doing and out of sync with everyone. I'd like him to sit until he at least gets a couple practices under his belt.

Anyone else think Erskine's extra pep in his step was due to having Volpatti, knowing that he has real (not Hendricks) backup? It's been a LONG time since I've seen him that fiery (and I love it).

I'd like to see one more big, tough LD (but not too slow) in the Erskine mold but maybe a little better on the roster. Erskine has been playing well by his standards, but I don't know if he can handle Carlson's minutes (or maybe he can handle those minutes because Carlson has been playing better).

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
You forgot Galiev. The anti-Young Turks contingent was certain his QMJHL playoff stats was enough proof that he was going to be top-6 in Washington this season.

Yeah that was pretty ridiculous. Being that we were able to watch him in the Memorial Cup 2 years in a row it couldn't have been more clear that he was going to need at least a couple of years in the minors before he would be on the cusp of ready for the NHL.

That being said Forsberg and especially Kuznetsov are on different planets as far as prospects go compared to Galiev. Galiev was a late 3rd round pick while Kuznetsov is pretty much universally considered one of the top couple prospects in the game and Forsberg was a very safe top 5 pick who luckily fell to us because a bunch of teams got caught up in the run on defenseman. You couldn't trade 10 Galiev level prospects for either one of those other guys.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Yeah that was pretty ridiculous. Being that we were able to watch him in the Memorial Cup 2 years in a row it couldn't have been more clear that he was going to need at least a couple of years in the minors before he would be on the cusp of ready for the NHL.

That being said Forsberg and especially Kuznetsov are on different planets as far as prospects go compared to Galiev. Galiev was a late 3rd round pick while Kuznetsov is pretty much universally considered one of the top couple prospects in the game and Forsberg was a very safe top 5 pick who luckily fell to us because a bunch of teams got caught up in the run on defenseman. You couldn't trade 10 Galiev level prospects for either one of those other guys.

The MAJO experience has left me with a wait and see approach concerning players who have pretty much played their "game" on the larger European/International rinks. I'll have to see how they make the transition to the NA rinks, but if we've learned nothing else from the MAJO experience, is that these two should spend some time at Hershey before coming up no matter how talented they are.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
The MAJO experience has left me with a wait and see approach concerning players who have pretty much played their "game" on the larger European/International rinks. I'll have to see how they make the transition to the NA rinks, but if we've learned nothing else from the MAJO experience, is that these two should spend some time at Hershey before coming up no matter how talented they are.

I'm not worried. Forsberg was considered as safe a pick as there was in the last draft and Kuznetsov the top prospect in the game by many. And this was by guys who do this for a living not bunch of HF posters / 'writers.'

And while I could possibly see some benefit of Forsberg seeing a little time in Hershey simply because he is yet to even play at the highest professional level in Sweden, no way does Kuznetsov ever see a day in the AHL outside of maybe a conditioning stint. Plus both of these guys have been playing against men for a few years now and IMO the biggest adjustment for recent draftees trying to break into the NHL isn't the rink size for European trained players but going from playing against boys to playing against men. Galiev for instance has played his game for a while on North American rinks and quite successfully.

And when/if Johansson is ever simply left at center he'll be an NHL player for a long time IMO. Maybe he won't produce as much as many around here want and it might not even be in DC depending what other centers stay around but he is an NHL centerman, again IMO. He's not a winger though and I don't ever see him as someone who excels spending too much time along the boards.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
I'm not worried. Forsberg was considered as safe a pick as there was in the last draft and Kuznetsov the top prospect in the game by many. And this was by guys who do this for a living not bunch of HF posters / 'writers.'

And while I could possibly see some benefit of Forsberg seeing a little time in Hershey simply because he is yet to even play at the highest professional level in Sweden, no way does Kuznetsov ever see a day in the AHL outside of maybe a conditioning stint. Plus both of these guys have been playing against men for a few years now and IMO the biggest adjustment for recent draftees trying to break into the NHL isn't the rink size for European trained players but going from playing against boys to playing against men. Galiev for instance has played his game for a while on North American rinks and quite successfully.

And when/if Johansson is ever simply left at center he'll be an NHL player for a long time IMO. Maybe he won't produce as much as many around here want and it might not even be in DC depending what other centers stay around but he is an NHL centerman, again IMO. He's not a winger though and I don't ever see him as someone who excels spending too much time along the boards.
Even if those two players can legitimately make the NHL roster without being rush they shouldn't be counted on as top-6 players until they have proven they can play at that level. As in they need to actually beat out players on the same team that can play those roles and not just have that spot handed to them.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Even if those two players can legitimately make the NHL roster without being rush they shouldn't be counted on as top-6 players until they have proven they can play at that level. As in they need to actually beat out players on the same team that can play those roles and not just have that spot handed to them.

IMO that really depends on your philosophy of developing players. Neither of those guys has anything in their game that says checking or energy line IMO so how would you prefer they attempt to adjust to the league, trying to play a role that completely doesn't suit them or on a line that does?

Obviously if Oates stays around and they keep Perreault as the 3rd line centerman then that is more or less a defacto 3rd scoring line and a good place for them to break into the league IMO.

Halpysback*

I can see Forsberg being broken in on a two-way third line that has more offensive emphasis than the average third line.

Kuznetsov should be given an extended look in the top 6 unless he ***** the bed conclusively.

CapsCast

Mar 12, 2008

Even though Volpatti got beaten up, that fight was timed perfectly. Before the fight, the Caps were getting outshot 13-3; afterwards, they outshot Winnipeg 18-7 up to the last goal the Caps scored. After that, the Caps were massively outshot again, but the damage had been done.

Volpatti's fight turned out to be the catalyst in the Caps turn around.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Even though Volpatti got beaten up, that fight was timed perfectly. Before the fight, the Caps were getting outshot 13-3; afterwards, they outshot Winnipeg 18-7 up to the last goal the Caps scored. After that, the Caps were massively outshot again, but the damage had been done.

Volpatti's fight turned out to be the catalyst in the Caps turn around.

Are you sure it wasn't the fact that someone in Section 203 bought a hotdog?

Also, what are you doing talking about Volpatti, this is the Forsberg/Kusnetsov auxiliary thread.

CapsCast

Mar 12, 2008
Are you sure it wasn't the fact that someone in Section 203 bought a hotdog?

Also, what are you doing talking about Volpatti, this is the Forsberg/Kusnetsov auxiliary thread.

I think the secret was ordering the hotdog while Volpatti was getting beaten up. It worked like an NHL 2013 cheat code. We may be onto something here. I'll pass it up to GMGM...for a price.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
He took on a real tough dude.

With Hendricks being bumped up to the top line and PK along with Erskine playing top 4 minutes we need more guys who aren't hesitant to stand up for teammates.

Hence the recent moves. Volpatti doesn't suck and is an eager hitter. Take him any day of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad