Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Canes 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Not just Carolina, we struggle with any team that has speed.

Its odd because, overall, I don't think we have a slow team. It has to be something in the system that just has issues dealing with speedy teams, they can't get setup and cover areas responsibly.

I think Caps are definitely slow (compared to elite teams), if you look at the combination of factors that contribute to "true speed" -- acceleration, top-end speed, and the ability to maintain high speed/acceleration throughout a shift/game.

Especially in the top-6/top-4, the only player who displays good all-around speed is maybe Mojo (though even he I think glides a decent amount). Kuz, Ovi glide a lot. Nobody else is anything to write home about. And in the bottom lines/pairings, having Schmidt/Vrana/Bura(?) is not enough to set the overall speed.

Of course, it doesn't mean that the Caps shouldn't be able to mask it better. A slower team has to move the puck well and use its size to its advantage. Unfortunately, Caps are not great at those components either. They have defensive discipline and individual talent, those are nice to have, but that's about it.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Does Carolina play the Caps the hardest or what? I've seen them play a few other teams and they looked very beatable each time. :speechles

San Jose still owns us in teams we suck against.

Carolina does seem to have it in our zone and creating chance after chance though.

When is our top 6 going to show up this game? Waiting until third period to give us only one good period again?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Ovi I have a feeling isn't done. He seems to be on this game. You just see that elite Ovi every once in awhile - and tonight seems like that Ovi is there.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Anyone who has 0 goals and 6 assists and argues that player is a offensive talent is lying to themselves.

If we did per 60 or offensive zone faceoffs or matchups, etc you can always make a point if you want to. Numbers never lie but numbers also can prove anyone's point regardless of what point they're trying to make.

The real number is Schmidt has 0 goals and 6 assists on the entire season. That is no way a offensive talent. Hell, Orlov was like top 15 in NHL in ES last year in points ES per 60.... yet no one says he's a top 15 NHL offensive D talent.

Schmidt has 0 goals and 6 total assists. A player like that shouldn't be rushing with the puck towards the net - because what happened (turned puck over and Carolina went on a odd man rush) is what happens more often than not.

"You can use numbers to make whatever point you want"
Then uses the "real number"

:facepalm:

Six even-strength assists is tied with John Carlson, who gets much more ice time. Six even-strength assists is tied for 44th in the entire NHL among defensemen, despite Schmidt having only played 24 games while others are at 30+. Six even-strength assists is tied with players like Zack Werenski, John Klingberg, Tyson Barrie, PK Subban, and Shea Weber.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Skinner personally gets under Caps skin to the tune of a 5 on 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad