Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Canes 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They had ~$1M in space going into last season before the Laich trade. Enough space to add Mike Richards midway through the season and Weber at the deadline, and to carry a 23 man roster with space for AHL recalls for the full year.

They had enough space to bank for deadline additions in 2015 (Glencross, Gleason), 2014 (Halak, Penner), and 2013 (Erat).

I guess those kinds of $1M moves made a huge impact then. Look at our Cups. Time to load up the $1M secret weapon again. Cup or bust.

Some of those were trades. Gleason sent Hillen to the Canes, for example. Neuvirth and someone else was in the Halak deal, iirc. So they cleared some room. No reason they can't do it again.

Now go ahead and post your facepalm and tell me why I'm wrong.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Nate Schmidt needs to stop going towards net offensively like he's any threat. He needs to stay back on D. He is no threat offensively and already once left the D in a odd man rush earlier.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Nate Schmidt needs to stop going towards net offensively like he's any threat. He needs to stay back on D. He is no threat offensively and already once left the D in a odd man rush earlier.

Couldn't disagree more.

He does create chances offensively, even if he is not usually the one to finish them off. The defenseman with the glaring error so far, leading to a goal against, was Niskanen. Allowed his man to park right in front of the goal and set up shop there

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
hard to tell if that was a legit hook. need a better camera angle

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Couldn't disagree more.

He does create chances offensively, even if he is not usually the one to finish them off. The defense been with the glaring errors so far, leading to a goal against, was Niskanen. Allowed his man to park right in front of the goal and set up shop there

No, Nate does not create chances offensively.

Yes, Nicky's goal was bad - but Schmidt a minute or two before that got caught for an odd man rush.

Schmidt is not good offensively (terrrrrible shot and very few assists) and gets manhandled defensively

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Every time we play Carolina, we seem to struggle. We can't handle their speed.

Not just Carolina, we struggle with any team that has speed.

Its odd because, overall, I don't think we have a slow team. It has to be something in the system that just has issues dealing with speedy teams, they can't get setup and cover areas responsibly.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

He needs to bring the puck up with speed to create space for the forwards. If there's one thing he does very well, it's skating fast.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I guess those kinds of $1M moves made a huge impact then. Look at our Cups. Time to load up the $1M secret weapon again. Cup or bust.

Some of those were trades. Gleason sent Hillen to the Canes, for example. Neuvirth and someone else was in the Halak deal, iirc. So they cleared some room. No reason they can't do it again.

Now go ahead and post your facepalm and tell me why I'm wrong.

How you could possibly argue that not having cap space is a positive is beyond me. Even if they moved some salary out, they currently have to be entirely salary neutral in 2016-17 (unless they return to a 22-man roster). It's a lot harder to send equal salary back if you want to upgrade at the trade deadline.

Regarding the Gleason/Hillen deal, Hillen wasn't necessary to move from a cap space perspective. Carolina wanted a roster player in return. Don't recall if Neuvirth was necessary from a cap space perspective, either. But carrying 3 goalies was not something the Capitals wanted to do.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Schmidt creates chances offensively. Anyone who's denying that is lying to themselves. His low point totals are because he's a defenseman who doesn't get any powerplay time. His point/60 rates at even-strength are 2nd on the team this season.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
fast paced game, carolina is soo underappreciated team around the league. imho they are next columbus

Speaking of Columbus, I don't believe their success is sustainable. Whatever Carolina is doing, they're going to be sustainable. They've been building for a while now.

The Skinner goal was terrible defense by Nisky. When he finally noticed that Skinner was unchecked in front of the net, he didn't try to tie up the stick but gave him the classic Orpik shove.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
How you could possibly argue that not having cap space is a positive is beyond me. Even if they moved some salary out, they currently have to be entirely salary neutral in 2016-17 (unless they return to a 22-man roster). It's a lot harder to send equal salary back if you want to upgrade at the trade deadline.

Regarding the Gleason/Hillen deal, Hillen wasn't necessary to move from a cap space perspective. Carolina wanted a roster player in return. Don't recall if Neuvirth was necessary from a cap space perspective, either. But carrying 3 goalies was not something the Capitals wanted to do.

I hate spending to cap at start of season every year. It limits what caps can do at deadline.

Eller for 3.5 I hated. We have Johansson which could have solved #3 C. I would have rather had that money for Caps to add a real true addition near deadline.

Instead, caps are limited and have to do more Gleason, Weber, etc pointless moves again.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I hate spending to cap at start of season every year. It limits what caps can do at deadline.

Eller for 3.5 I hated. We have Johansson which could have solved #3 C. I would have rather had that money for Caps to add a real true addition near deadline.

Instead, caps are limited and have to do more Gleason, Weber, etc pointless moves again.

They don't even have the space for Gleason or Weber moves at this point. They'd have to demote Sanford again just to bank the space for adding 3rd pairing defenseman at the deadline.

But I disagree regarding Johansson as 3C.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Considering how bad their deadline moves have been maybe it IS good they don't have cap space. Instead of lame rentals and disrupting the locker room maybe rally the troops and get value from the players you're already paying.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Speaking of Columbus, I don't believe their success is sustainable. Whatever Carolina is doing, they're going to be sustainable. They've been building for a while now.

well, Columbus has a really good goalie who is outstanding this season. this usually enough to be good in regular season. plus they have a deep forward group and very young and talented D. so they can sustain. but yeah, i like carolina team more. mother of god that defense of theirs. I went to check their lineup and was surprised, thought they had a deep forward group ala columbus and that's all, but their D is mine blowing :amazed: which is shocking coz in the past it wasn't the case.

that made me thinking, this season might be not only our last chance on Cup, but other top teams' as well. all these up and coming young teams are suited better for the new nhl and it'll be hard to keep up with them :cry:

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Schmidt creates chances offensively. Anyone who's denying that is lying to themselves. His low point totals are because he's a defenseman who doesn't get any powerplay time. His point/60 rates at even-strength are 2nd on the team this season.

Anyone who has 0 goals and 6 assists and argues that player is a offensive talent is lying to themselves.

If we did per 60 or offensive zone faceoffs or matchups, etc you can always make a point if you want to. Numbers never lie but numbers also can prove anyone's point regardless of what point they're trying to make.

The real number is Schmidt has 0 goals and 6 assists on the entire season. That is no way a offensive talent. Hell, Orlov was like top 15 in NHL in ES last year in points ES per 60.... yet no one says he's a top 15 NHL offensive D talent.

Schmidt has 0 goals and 6 total assists. A player like that shouldn't be rushing with the puck towards the net - because what happened (turned puck over and Carolina went on a odd man rush) is what happens more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad