Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Canes 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Why is the Canes board so salty?

coz we hunted down skinner.

anyway it was a fun game. it's cool that they are getting better and the games against them aren't anymore a snore like against Vancouver. soon all devision games will be super fun to watch and nerve wrecking, your turn new Jersey :laugh:

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
It is, that's why they were able to plug Grubauer in and not miss a beat.

Whole board is now arguing my point for me. Feelsgoodman

Last year in a full season Gruby was 8-9-1. This was against bad competition.

Holtby in a full season was 48-9-7.

Yes, Holtby and Gruby lost the same amount of games in regulation - except Holtby won SIX TIMES THE AMOUNT OF GAMES and played in almost 50 more games....

So yes, your point is really not a good one. This is in the SAME SYSTEM AND HOLTBY PLAYING AGAINST SUPERIOR COMPETITION yet they still lost the same amount of games.

It's not even a discussion. Holtby based off of this system has been much more superior than Grubs.

Grubs hasn't won a single game this year unless Caps score at least 3 goals - and last year only won 3 games all year when Caps score 2 or less goals - and those 3 wins were games Caps scored 2 goals. This is because he plays against weak opponents. Holtby plays against the best. Holtby is still far superior in every statistic overall than Grubs besides one very small one month samply size basically. You don't make a trade b/c of that or it's just insanity and really stupid.

Last edited:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Last year in a full season Gruby was 8-9-1. This was against bad competition.

Holtby in a full season was 48-9-7.

Yes, Holtby and Gruby lost the same amount of games in regulation - except Holtby won SIX TIMES THE AMOUNT OF GAMES and played in almost 50 more games....

So yes, your point is really not a good one. This is in the SAME SYSTEM AND HOLTBY PLAYING AGAINST SUPERIOR COMPETITION yet they still lost the same amount of games.

It's not even a discussion. Holtby based off of this system has been much more superior than Grubs.

Grubs hasn't won a single game this year unless Caps score at least 3 goals - and last year only won 3 games all year when Caps score 2 or less goals - and those 3 wins were games Caps scored 2 goals. This is because he plays against weak opponents. Holtby plays against the best. Holtby is still far superior in every statistic overall than Grubs besides one very small one month samply size basically. You don't make a trade b/c of that or it's just insanity and really stupid.

Wow I love that 3 goal framing... so if the caps win 3-0 with Grubauer in net it's still a slight against him because they scored 3 goals in that game. In reality it just means the caps feel more confident with Grubauer in net and play more aggressively. And our top problem in the playoffs is the team is not scoring enough... so playing whichever goalie keeps them confident enough to score more sounds like a good idea.

Did you ever consider that goalies don't perform as well if they don't get consistent starts (something Holtby himself was vocal about), and Grubauer couldn't get them last year? Or that he's had a year to develop and took the next step.

So far we see him getting the same system wins Holtby is getting while making the saves Holtby does and letting in the goals Holtby allows. Though Holtby got lit up by Carolina last time while Grubauer pulled through. So yeah, say it with me

S
Y
S
T
E
M

:sarcasm:

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Wow I love that 3 goal framing... so if the caps win 3-0 with Grubauer in net it's still a slight against him because they scored 3 goals in that game. In reality it just means the caps feel more confident with Grubauer in net and play more aggressively. And our top problem in the playoffs is the team is not scoring enough... so playing whichever goalie keeps them confident enough to score more sounds like a good idea.

Did you ever consider that goalies don't perform as well if they don't get consistent starts (something Holtby himself was vocal about), and Grubauer couldn't get them last year? Or that he's had a year to develop and took the next step.

So far we see him getting the same system wins Holtby is getting while making the saves Holtby does and letting in the goals Holtby allows. Though Holtby got lit up by Carolina last time while Grubauer pulled through. So yeah, say it with me

S
Y
S
T
E
M

:sarcasm:

The numbers don't lie. You're making excuses. Gruby still played in almost 20 games and lost as many games in regulation as Holtby did in almost 50 more games. He was under .500 on the Presidents Trophy winning team and one of the best 10 teams in regular season OF ALL TIME! If Grubs can't even win half his games on that team, he sure as hell doesn't deserve to take over the Vezina winner the next season. That's just ridiculous.

Grubby also played against crappy teams and has proven that he can't win games unless Caps score at least 3 goals. Yes, he has lost low scoring games too. In playoffs Caps don't score 3 or more goals hardly ever (they average 2 goals per game and at most like 2.4 goals per game over the last like 5 playoffs they've been in). They rely on winning 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1. Holtby had to do that twice in one playoff series alone last year.

So considering Grubs can't win unless Caps score at least 3 goals - and he can't even be .500 on a Presidents Trophy winning team, he has no way earned the starting spot.

It's a mute point though because Caps aren't going to trade Holtby for Grubs. At least not for many years. It's awesome Grubs is a solid backup - but he isn't "let's plug him in for arguably the first or second best goalie in the game" good.

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
That was definitely one of the more resilient games the system played all year. Was nice to see the system keep bouncing back and despite the refs not being a fan of the system it still found a way to win.

SY-STEM! SY-STEM! SY-STEM!

SYS-T-E-M SYSTEM SYSTEM SYSTEM!

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Just finished watching the game:

-Reffing was god awful and one-sided. I try to give them some slack but they missed several clear calls on Carolina and called everything they could find on the Caps.
-Ovechkin is really good when he is engaged. Best game since the Blues hat trick and he looked fast.
-Kuznetsov is really good and it seems like his confidence is back
-Ignoring the gimmick, Oshie is ALSO really good and I would like him very badly to stay in DC on a reasonable deal (but he deserves a big payday if that's what he wants)
-Carolina is a very well coached team. If they had a legitimate 1C and an average goaltender they'd be a playoff team.
-Still not understanding the usage of the third line. They carry the play and Vrana consistently drives the net and looks dangerous. Play them more.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Just finished watching the game:

-Reffing was god awful and one-sided. I try to give them some slack but they missed several clear calls on Carolina and called everything they could find on the Caps.
-Ovechkin is really good when he is engaged. Best game since the Blues hat trick and he looked fast.
-Kuznetsov is really good and it seems like his confidence is back
-Ignoring the gimmick, Oshie is ALSO really good and I would like him very badly to stay in DC on a reasonable deal (but he deserves a big payday if that's what he wants)
-Carolina is a very well coached team. If they had a legitimate 1C and an average goaltender they'd be a playoff team.
-Still not understanding the usage of the third line. They carry the play and Vrana consistently drives the net and looks dangerous. Play them more.

I agree with all of this.

There was a definite difference in Ovie's intensity. He was skating better and looked more confident carrying the puck.

Whole team looked more engaged tonight. They were taking the game personally, playing with some snarl and nastiness. Very welcome development and immediately noticeable.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Did the Washington Capitals set a new record?
To beat 2 differents teams in one game? The Carolina Hurricanes and the Referees Officials? :sarcasm:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm not going as far as saying they need to keep Oshie, but the contract number at which I'd draw the line in the sand keeps going higher and higher. It's important to remember he's on a pretty big PDO bender this season that isn't likely to continue, but that being said he's played extremely well.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'm not going as far as saying they need to keep Oshie, but the contract number at which I'd draw the line in the sand keeps going higher and higher. It's important to remember he's on a pretty big PDO bender this season that isn't likely to continue, but that being said he's played extremely well.

Which is what?

I'm in record as saying if they can get Karl and TJ combined for under 11m/yr, they need to jump on it now.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
I love Alzner, but man.... paying him north of 5 per year for a stay at home d guy is pretty tough.

I know he's elite defensively - but very few defenders that don't produce offensively get that kind of money - and they're usually not on cap tight teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad