Half-Assed GDT: Caps Blues: Well Well Well, We Meet Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2002
The 2019 Blues would destroy the 2018 Caps and it wouldnt even be a close series.
Yeah ... it would, because Ovechkin's line was a f***ing monster in the playoffs and Lars Eller made trying to match up with Ovechkin's line costly. God love ROR and Sunny and everyone else, but they weren't handling Ovechkin in the 2018 playoffs, and Washington's D was just as physical and gritty as ours.

BTW: not that I think HF is some be-all, whatever people say here is gospel source of truth by any means, but I think it's interesting this question has been asked twice - once right after the Blues won the cup, the other about 2 1/2 years later, and ... well, let's just say it's a semi-convincing result both times.

2019 Rask was playing at a far superior level than 2018 Holtby was.
Regular season? Holtby was really meh, Grubauer got the reins to start the playoffs. Once he shit all over himself, Holtby stepped in and was really steady through the playoffs Statistically, better than Binnington. When the Caps needed him to make saves, he did it. Caps didn't have defensive breakdowns that cause you to remember great saves from Holtby like we do with Binnington; that alone tells you how suffocating their defense was, and that defense had to deal with Crosby/Malkin and then Stamkos.

What Rask did is irrelevant, because we're talking about winning teams.

Last edited:

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
This is a purely hypothetical, loaded conjecture and presumes there are no other scenarios to consider.

Weird, Perron was also a drama queen [white skates? Lots of 1-on-3, 1-on-4 offensive play? Lots of ignoring coaching instructions?] and a perennial playoff choker here. And, elsewhere after he left here. His goal in the 2018 playoffs came with him literally sitting in the net and having the puck go off of him. Going into 2018-19, everyone's expectation was "nice guy, might put up regular season stats, ... going to f***ing disappear in the postseason."

P.S. - that time between when Perron left and Oshie left? Same head coach for the Blues. 🤔 Oshie must have sucked at killing coaches after Perron left.

I'm just going to stop right here.

* Montreal got 2 Cups and Boston got a Cup playing "a[n] expansion team in the finals." I don't see anyone calling those 3 Cups illegitimate.
* Vegas at 107 points was very legitimate competition. The Golden Knights were light years better than those Blues teams that got to the Finals, who couldn't go even .500 against the O6 teams in any of those 3 years.
* Washington had to come back from 0-2 at home against Columbus, had to slay their perpetual playoff nemesis in Pittsburgh, and had to come back from down 3-2 by winning at Tampa who led the Eastern Conference with 113 points. Let's not pretend they got there by beating Buffalo, Ottawa and Montreal and then ended up with Arizona in the Finals.
Thank you. I almost got a migraine reading that OP. I thought I was bad with my own brand of occasional conjecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad