Confirmed with Link: Caps Acquire Hagelin for 3rd & Conditional 6th

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Will I ever see the day when the Capitals actually have all 7 of their draft picks come draft day and actually make picks with them.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It’s not really realistic to be a ‘deadline wizard’. You are overpaying to try and win a Cup generally speaking and only 1 team can win....

Being a deadline “wizard” might indicate you don’t do your job in roster construction properly during the typically more affordable off-season.

I’m sure someone can post a GM or 5 who meet this new designation right? ;)

Last edited:

smd333

May 2, 2012
Hagelin is absolutely NOT soft. Yeah he's not the Hagelin of the past, he was pretty average in PIT this year but if he can contribute in the postseason I'm fine with it. Very low cost move.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
So the leading PK forward pairs have been Eller-Wilson and Dowd-Stephenson, if you replace Stephenson with Hagelin it’s a lateral move for the PK but you feel better about sliding Hagelin up the lineup if necessary and 4th line possession. If you sit Boyd for Hagelin, do you take Dowd off the PK and then do you worry about faceoffs?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I doubt anyone expected much, but from day one of camp he has shown his commitment level to the team wasn’t where it needed to be. BMac showed his level of commitment by waiving him.

You have to wonder if it would have made any difference if the two DSP rung off the iron in that one game recently on the West Coast trip might have changed this scenario.

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You have to wonder if it would have made any difference if the two DSP rung off the iron in that one game recently on the West Coast trip might have changed this scenario.

Zero chance once single event like that changed anything. The rope given was loooooong. Only an unwise man see’s one good performance out of many bad ones and expects a change you can count on going forward.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah but there’s a big difference in adding pieces that contribute and adding pieces that play like Glencross and Weber did.

Those guys HURT our chances.

Again, I don't see the reason to hyperventilate over Weber. You do recall that he was brought in as an 8d. Right? He was supposed to be marginal. 6 and 7 that year were Chorney and Nate Schmidt. Chorney played 7 games that year and was never used in a playoff game by Trotz again over the next two seasons. Schmidt was a rookie and played 6 games.

Weber played in 2 games. Trotz decided to dress him, I am guessing because Orpik was hurt and Chorney was way over his head. Now if you want to blame MacLellan for relying on Chorney and Schmidt and not trading for a top 6 defenseman rather than a 8d back up. That's up to you.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I don't like it. Soft euro players are really not what Caps need. Mojo was soft stone hands player and caps sucked with him. We don't need more of that.

Should have traded for Kreider not Hagelin.

The cost....like the players...would not have been near the same. Hagelin is more or less free. Krieder will cost a lot (and still could do it...but he's going to cost a fortune with the season he is having and with a year left on his deal)

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
So the leading PK forward pairs have been Eller-Wilson and Dowd-Stephenson, if you replace Stephenson with Hagelin it’s a lateral move for the PK but you feel better about sliding Hagelin up the lineup if necessary and 4th line possession. If you sit Boyd for Hagelin, do you take Dowd off the PK and then do you worry about faceoffs?

There are more than 2 PKing units... maybe something like:

Eller-Wilson
Dowd-Hagelin
Backstrom-Stephenson

the obvious improvement is Hagelin over DSP

smd333

May 2, 2012
I've been a little disappointed in the defense at times and looking at a team like Tampa that has crazy depth you need to have it on all 4 lines. Hagelin is absolutely helping there.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Real Breaking News

giphy.gif

I had no idea teams could retain more than 50% of a players total cap-hit?

- Hagelin's original cap-hit = $4,000,000
- Pittsburgh retained 6.3% = $250,000
- Los Angeles retained 50% = $1,875,000
- Hagelin's new cap-hit = $1,875,000 (47% of original).

I though max 50% regardless of multiple trades.

Are there any other examples of this in the NHL?

Reactions: Hivemind

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I like this trade. We get more cup experience, speed, a PK player, and quality bottom 6 forward. He's has a lot of playoff experience. Additionally, all we gave up is some picks. He always seemed to me to be a Caps killer in the past no matter if it was with the NYR or Pens. If he stays healthy, he could be a good reclamation project.

Reactions: Marshall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad