Confirmed with Link: Caps acquire Brenden Dillon from San Jose for 2020 2nd and (cond.) 2021 3rd rd pick, 50% retained

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Ideally he'd be a RHD, but he's a legit top-4 vet with a defensive bent. This is your Brooks Orpik replacement with a bit more skill.

Unless there's another move in the pipeline, I'm betting on Orlov making the switch to RD.
I think Orlov has the skating to make the switch without too much of a hiccup.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
This is bad news for Siegenthaler. I'm guessing he is in the press box from now on.

As for the trade... whatever. Makes Caps a better team right now. How much better, I'm not sure.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think Orlov has the skating to make the switch without too much of a hiccup.
Not so sure about the hockey sense to handle the different angles, though, and they'd be losing a more certain 2LD fit as-is. I think Kempny moves down with Gudas and they try to make him more offensive-minded. Not ideal but as-is that'd be my play.

Dillon solves the Kempny issue...but the 2RD issue remains.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is bad news for Siegenthaler. I'm guessing he is in the press box from now on.

As for the trade... whatever. Makes Caps a better team right now. How much better, I'm not sure.

The Caps have two solid LD penalty killers. Siegenthaler and Dillon. Siegenthaler and Gudas might be too slow as a pair. Scratching Siegenthaler leaves them with Orlov and Kempny to pk on the left. Not sure how they handle that. Kempny is a better fit with Gudas at even strength

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
My worry is you don’t fix what isn’t broken. Orlov has been playing like a top-pairing defender on the left-side all year and while he has played his off-side well in the past, is the risk of him struggling there worth it? Maybe they take a shot in the dark and give Siegs a couple practices there? IIRC, Siegs has played his off-side over the last couple years a handful of times, right?

It’s all about the angles, lanes, and backhand catching, as Langs has already mentioned.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
I don't see any avoiding him playing that shutdown role. Either he plays with Carlson or he plays with Orlov. If he plays with Carlson and is not doing shut down duty, it means Orlov and Jensen are still doing it
The only expectation I'm trying to manage is him playing on the top with Carlson. I agree he should be able to handle and role as a shutdown guy with Orlov, assuming that's their 2nd pairing

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
I’m with Tex, Siegs needs to be in the lineup for PK reasons, alone. Let him fight through some struggles.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The only expectation I'm trying to manage is him playing on the top with Carlson. I agree he should be able to handle and role as a shutdown guy with Orlov, assuming that's their 2nd pairing

Reirden doesn't really us Carlson's pair as a first pair. Kempny has done well next to Carlson because they don't get the tough defensive assignments. Dillon is better than Kempny. Much better as a solid defensive player to support Carlson. There's a much bigger risk of getting exposed playing next to Orlov.

My read on this is that MacLellan found Kempny to be a bigger problem in the top 4 than Jensen.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
Reirden doesn't really us Carlson's pair as a first pair. Kempny has done well next to Carlson because they don't get the tough defensive assignments. Dillon is better than Kempny. Much better as a solid defensive player to support Carlson. There's a much bigger risk of getting exposed playing next to Orlov.

My read on this is that MacLellan found Kempny to be a bigger problem in the top 4 than Jensen.
True and as we've already seen I was wrong and they're going to start with him there next to Carly. Hope it works

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019

I think BMac said f*** handiness and grabbed the best impact defender for the best value he wanted and could find.

I don’t see how the org. would view Jensen over Kempny, especially given the circumstances: Kemps’ play down the stretch our cup run, his play last year before that nasty injury, his fast start to this year, and the overall impact of spending months rehabbing a muscle tear like that. Jensen has never fit in IMO, while Kempny has more often than not, even if he’s struggled lately.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
The question remaining is the priority. Even strength or shot blocking/pk. Who plays? 6 or 34? I could guess that is opponent critical
I'm really not sure what to do about Kempny. He has a ton of valuable experience and is a good, quick skater but his decision making has been among the worst in a group full of it recently

At this point I'd rather have 34 out there killing penalties and preserving leads

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think BMac said **** handiness and grabbed the best impact defender for the best value he wanted and could find.

I don’t see how the org. would view Jensen over Kempny, especially given the circumstances: Kemps’ play down the stretch our cup run, his play last year before that nasty injury, his fast start to this year, and the overall impact of spending months rehabbing a muscle tear like that. Jensen has never fit in IMO, while Kempny has more often than not, even if he’s struggled lately.

Appears to me that Kempny's injury has reduced the quality of his game. Kempny has not looked good in a long time. Kempny playing next to Carlson has not scored a goal since October 25th. In his last 38 games he has 5 assists.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad