Post-Game Talk: Capitals Vs Maple Leafs - 1/10/14 7:00 PM - Caps Win 3-2

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Brouwer is wholly tradeable without taking salary back and with two ready-made replacements on the roster (Fehr and Wilson). That's in excess of $5M in space.

Explore the returns for Brouwer and Neuvirth, try to pawn off Erat to anyone that'll take him, and you've got the makings of some really good roster flexibility and better quality.

Goalies are an undervalued commodity anyway. Maybe you get a high pick for Holtby a la Schneider, or maybe you get a package of crap a la Bernier.

OK so subtract Brouwer, Neuvy and Erat. Where the better quality coming from?

What are we using the flexibility on? Overpriced free agents isn't the Caps thing. What remaining assets are going to bring us players to get us closer to a Cup this year? I'd like to see a better plan than dump and pray.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Carrick hasn't had as many NHL games as Orlov.

I'm just comparing vision and shot of Orlov and Carrick.

Carrick has a good shot from the point. His vision for offence at 19 years old is pretty good. Similar to Orlov.

Orlov has a bit better size and his skating is better.

I have no idea what Carrick's full potential is, but so far with the Caps I haven't seen any of it, neither the shot, nor offensive instincts. For a young kid he's doing a good job keeping his head above the water, that's all I can see.

In limited viewing time of WJC, I also didn't see him do anything that stood out.. but ok, I wasn't zeroed in on him. On the other hand, Orlov during his run at the WJC was pretty dominant -- in the biggest game, too.

So I don't know, I haven't yet seen the glimpses of quality from Carrick that would make one excited about his potential. But at this point, let him play by all means -- better to develop a young guy than to have Oleksy there..

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have no idea what Carrick's full potential is, but so far with the Caps I haven't seen any of it, neither the shot, nor offensive instincts. For a young kid he's doing a good job keeping his head above the water, that's all I can see.

In limited viewing time of WJC, I also didn't see him do anything that stood out.. but ok, I wasn't zeroed in on him. On the other hand, Orlov during his run at the WJC was pretty dominant -- in the biggest game, too.

So I don't know, I haven't yet seen the glimpses of quality from Carrick that would make one excited about his potential. But at this point, let him play by all means -- better to develop a young guy than to have Oleksy there..

You aren't the only one. I was excited when guys like Orlov, Green, Carlson, and Alzner played up to their hype when they were in Hershey and was excited to have Carrick after his strong camp. The problem is that he just doesn't stand out in Hershey. I'm really surprised he was the one getting the call up when other guys in Hershey have clearly outplayed him. In the one WJC game I saw I noticed he wasn't even on the PP and didn't stick out to me. There's just something about him that doesn't give you that wow factor

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think Carrick has made some decent, but subtle nice plays. Clearly he's skilled, but undersized for now. Maybe they're showcasing him for part of a big trade.

It's not like Oleksy is some 35 yr old journeyman keeping a roster spot away from a ready for primetime young guy. Dude is only 27, right at the good prime age for a D. I think he's got some limited upside still.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Agreed on Carrick...

Don't see what the coaches see to keep putting him in the lineup... and I also don't see the potential.

Halpysback*

They had a solid defense, they just refused to use it.

Alzner Green
Orlov Carlson
Schmidt Urbom

Same crap as with the forwards, except they finally wised up a little bit and split up Ovechkin and Backstrom to suck more out of them.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Agreed on Carrick...

Don't see what the coaches see to keep putting him in the lineup... and I also don't see the potential.

Yeah I don't see it. He doesn't have anything exceptional to make up for his obvious lack of size and strength. He's often in the wrong spot at the wrong time and always has his head down with the puck. One of these times he's going to get decked on his ass.

PRicci09

Jan 17, 2013
They had a solid defense, they just refused to use it.

Alzner Green
Orlov Carlson
Schmidt Urbom

Same crap as with the forwards, except they finally wised up a little bit and split up Ovechkin and Backstrom to suck more out of them.

Solid? probably not. Better then now? sure

Halpysback*

Solid? probably not. Better then now? sure

It's solid enough not to be a glaring weakness during the season. Every single player skates well and is at least borderline top 4. Alzner, Carlson, Green and Orlov top 4, Schmidt arguably an offensive #4/5, Urbom a defensive #4/5. You have inexperience going against them but that 3rd pairing can play ~16-18 minutes a game. Load lightens up for other pairings, effect felt throughout the lineup. Greater mobility and puck movement skills, less being pinned in their own end, effect felt throughout their lineup. Could the use another good D? Sure. Is it better than what we have now to the point where it would be noticeable in games like the current Ovechkin-Backstrom split is? I think so.

For even better balance, could have gone with

Alzner-Green
Schmidt-Carlson
Urbom-Orlov

Orlov being on his off side utilizes him better, keeps everyone else in positions to succeed, Carlson enough of a steadying presence for Schmidt.

I'm not arguing against getting better players as much as pointing out that it's pointless if they insist on shooting themselves in the foot with the ones they have.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
It's solid enough not to be a glaring weakness during the season. Every single player skates well and is at least borderline top 4. Alzner, Carlson, Green and Orlov top 4, Schmidt arguably an offensive #4/5, Urbom a defensive #4/5. You have inexperience going against them but that 3rd pairing can play ~16-18 minutes a game. Load lightens up for other pairings, effect felt throughout the lineup. Greater mobility and puck movement skills, less being pinned in their own end, effect felt throughout their lineup. Could the use another good D? Sure. Is it better than what we have now to the point where it would be noticeable in games like the current Ovechkin-Backstrom split is? I think so.

For even better balance, could have gone with

Alzner-Green
Schmidt-Carlson
Urbom-Orlov

Orlov being on his off side utilizes him better, keeps everyone else in positions to succeed, Carlson enough of a steadying presence for Schmidt.

I'm not arguing against getting better players as much as pointing out that it's pointless if they insist on shooting themselves in the foot with the ones they have.

It's certainly better than an Erskine-Carrick bottom two, but in no way is Urbom nor Schmidt even close to a #4 NHL Dman.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
What difference would it make if the home-town announcers were pumping his tires? :laugh:

Locker pumps up everyone's tires.

I've been watching Joe B and Locker for, what, close to 20 years now, and around 80-some games a year on average? You know what's normal and what's different. They were doing it more than usual. It's a form of advertising and endorsement.

Are you saying only fans watch hockey broadcasts (either on TV or via the web)? Not agents, scouts, owners, GMs, coaches, players, etc? None of them talk to each other? Human nature dictates they could be influenced by a positive or negative overall impression from the experience.

And if you don't agree with all of that, then there's still the fact that such a sell-job implies that Neuvy is definitely being aggressively shopped. The question was who to trade. He's the one obviously being moved, and rightly so at this point.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Missed the game. Just reading this thread and stats.

Neuvirth's game on a scale of 1 - 5?

Orlov's game on a scale of 1 - 5?

Brouwer's game on a scale of 1 - 5?

Bottom pair d-men on a of 1 - 5?

Three goals from three different lines at ES? That's gotta be a first. Now if they can just shake that bug of letting the other team score within two and half minutes.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You still don't know why Erskine gets a sweater?

461712243_slide.jpg

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
OK so subtract Brouwer, Neuvy and Erat. Where the better quality coming from?

What are we using the flexibility on? Overpriced free agents isn't the Caps thing. What remaining assets are going to bring us players to get us closer to a Cup this year? I'd like to see a better plan than dump and pray.

I think Brouwer could return a decent 3RD or 3C, which I see as team needs. There's also the option of moving someone valuable like Johansson or one of Orlov and Schmidt, who are redundant.

Brouwer, Neuvirth, and Erat provide almost nothing to this team outside of dead cap space. As I said, there are ready-made replacements for Brouwer already on the roster (Fehr, Ward, or Wilson). Neuvirth is easily replaceable with either Grubauer or a cheap vet backup (JS Giguere would be a great option). Erat doesn't even need replacing.

Sure, I'd like a top tier free agent, but even if not, there are a bunch of middling free agents (which certainly are the Caps' thing) that can help the team (Ott, Fayne, Weaver, Goc, Kulemin, Klesla)

mention

Dec 27, 2013
Norway
Loved what Erskine did in that fight against Orr. Absolutely hammered him. Gave us so much momentum and the crowd got going. He's far from a great D-man, but we need guys like him in the lineup. And I know that was his first scrap of the season.

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
Holtby should be the one sent down.

Trade holtby, green, and mojo for Miller, then put a neuvy/Erat package together for a solid experienced d man.

Yikes, I'd hate to lose any of those three. Neuvy was great last night, sure, but Holtby is our number 1. He's had a few bad games, but he's shown he can be brilliant. He'll get that fire back. Mojo is a great center; that's where he needs to be. Green is returning to form; also, I adore Green, so there's my selfish reason. :D

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

461712243_slide.jpg

rh....you know I am not pro fighting and that I think you and br make too big of a deal over physical play, but there is value there and I think many of the anti Erskine posters here are anti McPhee people looking at anything to add to the fire McPhee side of the ledger.

against Toronto and teams like them you have to have a player like Erskine. In fact that game last night was another reason why the Caps should have kept 43 in the NHL.

I see in most every Caps game I watch that Wilson is creating a rep for himself that is going to create space for his offensive game as he gains experience. Meanwhile I see him playing a solid game, shift by shift.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
rh....you know I am not pro fighting and that I think you and br make too big of a deal over physical play, but there is value there and I think many of the anti Erskine posters here are anti McPhee people looking at anything to add to the fire McPhee side of the ledger.

against Toronto and teams like them you have to have a player like Erskine. In fact that game last night was another reason why the Caps should have kept 43 in the NHL.

I see in most every Caps game I watch that Wilson is creating a rep for himself that is going to create space for his offensive game as he gains experience. Meanwhile I see him playing a solid game, shift by shift.

Thank god mcphee has built a team suited to play Toronto.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

461712243_slide.jpg

Randy I like toughness in the players as much as you, but that's the only thing left in Erskine's game. However, the beauty of his fight against Orr is that it won't go unnoticed and thus unlike double nickle, Erskine could still fetch you something.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Missed the game. Just reading this thread and stats.

Neuvirth's game on a scale of 1 - 5?

Orlov's game on a scale of 1 - 5?

Brouwer's game on a scale of 1 - 5?

Bottom pair d-men on a of 1 - 5?

Three goals from three different lines at ES? That's gotta be a first. Now if they can just shake that bug of letting the other team score within two and half minutes.

Neuvirth: 4.5 saved everything except two short-side deflections, made some big saves

Orlov: 3.5-4 solid game, made a few nice plays, kept pretty good positioning on defense overall

Brouwer: 2.5 meh. Individually.. rang a goal post. Collectively, 19's line didn't do anything to stand out most of the game, Backstrom's goal was pretty much a solo effort/fluke; they had a couple of decent cycling shifts late..

Bottom pair: 2.5 stayed alive. Didn't inspire confidence, but held the fort I guess.

Leafs played well overall, actually, high intensity and really tenacious on the puck. It was a good win for the Caps.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Erskine for all his downfalls is no where close to the biggest issue on our team. He has settled back into his bottom pair tough guy role. He may still be slowed some/healing, may be a little over paid, but its a long asssssss season. Read the fight boards, Erskine is still a very respected fighter and fans will forever debate having a goon in the lineup.

I also like him out there as a big brother for Willy. While Wilson may not need one, I don't care, I don't want him to have to be our heavy and end up fighting punks like Orr.

Oates has plenty of time to figure out how to win with Erksine in our lineup. Its not that difficult. Don't over work him, don't put him out against top lines, sit him against fast teams.... and get the team to play 5 on 5, find a goalie, find a backup, get 2 scoring lines sorted, figure out what to do with MJ, the leaders and Erat, and.... get Willy more TOI.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Erskine for all his downfalls is no where close to the biggest issue on our team. He has settled back into his bottom pair tough guy role. He may still be slowed some/healing, may be a little over paid, but its a long asssssss season. Read the fight boards, Erskine is still a very respected fighter and fans will forever debate having a goon in the lineup.

I also like him out there as a big brother for Willy. While Wilson may not need one, I don't care, I don't want him to have to be our heavy and end up fighting punks like Orr.

Oates has plenty of time to figure out how to win with Erksine in our lineup. Its not that difficult. Don't over work him, don't put him out against top lines, sit him against fast teams.... and get the team to play 5 on 5, find a goalie, find a backup, get 2 scoring lines sorted, figure out what to do with MJ, the leaders and Erat, and.... get Willy more TOI.

I don't know, man. It's nice to have Erskine in the regular season especially, but unless the Caps can find him a steady, mobile partner, he may just be too much of a speed liability, even on the bottom pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad