Post-Game Talk: Capitals Vs Maple Leafs - 1/10/14 7:00 PM - Caps Win 3-2

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the one with the better chance of being a true #1?

Usually yeah... but when you have this logjam at goalie and have so many other positions in deep need, I'd trade the one with the highest trade value which is almost surely Holtby.

Could be just me, but I'm more comfortable with either Grubi or Neuvy in net over Holts anyway. You can't be an effective goalie over the long term if you can't fight through screens. He has to be the absolute worst goalie in the league with a screen.

Let's put it this way... would you rather trade away Holtby and get a defender that can actually cut down on the 40 shots against on most nights... or trade away Neuvirth and get next to nothing because everybody knows there's no room for him here? GMGM has no leverage at all.

Neuvy has very little trade value right now and Erat has absolutely no trade value. Wish we could just trade them all for Ryan Miller or something and call it a day.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Usually yeah... but when you have this logjam at goalie and have so many other positions in deep need, I'd trade the one with the highest trade value which is almost surely Holtby.

Could be just me, but I'm more comfortable with either Grubi or Neuvy in net over Holts anyway. You can't be an effective goalie over the long term if you can't fight through screens. He has to be the absolute worst goalie in the league with a screen.

Let's put it this way... would you rather trade away Holtby and get a defender that can actually cut down on the 40 shots against on most nights... or trade away Neuvirth and get next to nothing because everybody knows there's no room for him here? GMGM has no leverage at all.

Neuvy has very little trade value right now and Erat has absolutely no trade value. Wish we could just trade them all for Ryan Miller or something and call it a day.
I'd rather trade away Neuvy, get rid of his cap hit, and use it to get that defender to cut down on the 40 shots per night.

And I'd fire Kolzig yesterday.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I mean if we're a 1st/2nd round team with any of the 3, I'd consider trading the one with the most value right now to address other needs. I'm just not sure Holtby's value is that high right now either.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I'd rather trade away Neuvy, get rid of his cap hit, and use it to get that defender to cut down on the 40 shots per night.

And I'd fire Kolzig yesterday.

What is an extra $2.5M going to get you on defense?

I mean, if we could somehow get rid of both Neuvy AND Erat and take almost no salary back in return (which would be impossible, especially in Erat's case), we'd have some solid cash to make a run at a UFA D... but that isn't going to happen. Neuvy's cap hit alone isn't going to do us much good.

Speaking of Kolzig... even the goals Neuvirth gave up tonight could be a direct result of him. Isn't he the one that is teaching the goalie to not square up to the puck on bad angle shots? Kessel's shot was deflected, but Neuvy wasn't squared up to the puck much at all. Same with the JVR tip.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I mean if we're a 1st/2nd round team with any of the 3, I'd consider trading the one with the most value right now to address other needs. I'm just not sure Holtby's value is that high right now either.

I'd think it's considerably higher just because he has flashed in the past, most notably in the playoffs, and he hasn't publicly asked for a trade.

The second a trade demand goes public, your value plummets. It's like driving a new car off the lot.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Don't get distracted by the shiny object that's right in front of your face. Neuvy was being SHOWCASED for a trade he demanded, and that's probably about as good as you're going to see him play as a Cap. He stayed focused and didn't lose his composure after goals. He was quick and attentive to most details (except a few shortside gaps), but he was also lucky and had help.

He has wanted to be an uncontested #1 for years and has seen Varly, Vokoun, Holtby and Grubauer blow by him. He is NOT going to tolerate a 2 headed monster, nevermind a 3 headed monster.

Joe B and Locker were clearly pumping Neuvy's tires in the broadcast and even buttered up his agent a bit at the end of the game. He is clearly being shopped and it would be a mistake to get distracted by good vibes from one game.

Trade him asap while his value is as high as it's probably going to get (why risk it further), and then let Holtby and Grubauer settle in to duel it out.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Don't get distracted by the shiny object that's right in front of your face. Neuvy was being SHOWCASED for a trade he demanded, and that's probably about as good as you're going to see him play as a Cap. He stayed focused and didn't lose his composure after goals. He was quick and attentive to most details (except a few shortside gaps), but he was also lucky and had help.

He has wanted to be an uncontested #1 for years and has seen Varly, Vokoun, Holtby and Grubauer blow by him. He is NOT going to tolerate a 2 headed monster, nevermind a 3 headed monster.

Joe B and Locker were clearly pumping Neuvy's tires in the broadcast and even buttered up his agent a bit at the end of the game. He is clearly being shopped and it would be a mistake to get distracted by good vibes from one game.

Trade him asap while his value is as high as it's probably going to get (why risk it further), and then let Holtby and Grubauer settle in to duel it out.

What difference would it make if the home-town announcers were pumping his tires? :laugh:

Locker pumps up everyone's tires.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Adam Vingan @AdamVingan
Adam Oates: "The ice was terrible." Favorite for future reference. #Caps

How is the ice bad with being so cold.

Most likely the humidity level with the rainy wet day. Sure multi-purpose rinks like Verizon the ice quality is going to be impacted but IMO its the humidity in there is the main issue.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Whaa..?

Carrick hasn't shown jack yet, IMO.

Carrick hasn't had as many NHL games as Orlov.

I'm just comparing vision and shot of Orlov and Carrick.

Carrick has a good shot from the point. His vision for offence at 19 years old is pretty good. Similar to Orlov.

Orlov has a bit better size and his skating is better.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
What is an extra $2.5M going to get you on defense?

I mean, if we could somehow get rid of both Neuvy AND Erat and take almost no salary back in return (which would be impossible, especially in Erat's case), we'd have some solid cash to make a run at a UFA D... but that isn't going to happen. Neuvy's cap hit alone isn't going to do us much good.

Speaking of Kolzig... even the goals Neuvirth gave up tonight could be a direct result of him. Isn't he the one that is teaching the goalie to not square up to the puck on bad angle shots? Kessel's shot was deflected, but Neuvy wasn't squared up to the puck much at all. Same with the JVR tip.
Brouwer is wholly tradeable without taking salary back and with two ready-made replacements on the roster (Fehr and Wilson). That's in excess of $5M in space.

Explore the returns for Brouwer and Neuvirth, try to pawn off Erat to anyone that'll take him, and you've got the makings of some really good roster flexibility and better quality.

Goalies are an undervalued commodity anyway. Maybe you get a high pick for Holtby a la Schneider, or maybe you get a package of crap a la Bernier.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Holtby should be the one sent down.

Trade holtby, green, and mojo for Miller, then put a neuvy/Erat package together for a solid experienced d man.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Brouwer is wholly tradeable without taking salary back and with two ready-made replacements on the roster (Fehr and Wilson). That's in excess of $5M in space.

Explore the returns for Brouwer and Neuvirth, try to pawn off Erat to anyone that'll take him, and you've got the makings of some really good roster flexibility and better quality.

Goalies are an undervalued commodity anyway. Maybe you get a high pick for Holtby a la Schneider, or maybe you get a package of crap a la Bernier.

I'd love Brouwer gone, but who are we kidding? The guy somehow managed to buy a permanent spot in the top-6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad