Post-Game Talk: Capitals Vs Maple Leafs - 1/10/14 7:00 PM - Caps Win 3-2

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
If Erskine brought that every night, he'd be a fan favorite.

Yeah last night was the first night a long while I can remember Erskine bringing that part of this game to the rink. I have no problem looking past quite a few mistakes if your are also going after their captain and fighting someone like Orr. But pretending you have Alzner's game and thus have no need to do more than just go about your business I have issues with.

Also I thought Carrick played very well last night. He made a number of very nice passes and laid a very nice counter hit on someone early in the game to show he wasn't going to get run over all game. He and Erskine made more than a decent 3rd pairing IMO last night.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I don't know, man. It's nice to have Erskine in the regular season especially, but unless the Caps can find him a steady, mobile partner, he may just be too much of a speed liability, even on the bottom pairing.

Until George gets us someone better.... our defense is soft as butter. Many think its no big deal. I think its hard to watch. I am not sold on Schmidt being an upgrade just yet.

Its not his fault Oates worked him hard in the playoffs last year, when he clearly was injured and slowed. I could see it plain as day. He still looks slowed to me. I think he had his knee cleaned up just last month.

Far too often, a meh player gets injured and coaches keep using them like nothing is wrong.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Erskine for all his downfalls is no where close to the biggest issue on our team. He has settled back into his bottom pair tough guy role. He may still be slowed some/healing, may be a little over paid, but its a long asssssss season. Read the fight boards, Erskine is still a very respected fighter and fans will forever debate having a goon in the lineup.

I also like him out there as a big brother for Willy. While Wilson may not need one, I don't care, I don't want him to have to be our heavy and end up fighting punks like Orr.

Oates has plenty of time to figure out how to win with Erksine in our lineup. Its not that difficult. Don't over work him, don't put him out against top lines, sit him against fast teams.... and get the team to play 5 on 5, find a goalie, find a backup, get 2 scoring lines sorted, figure out what to do with MJ, the leaders and Erat, and.... get Willy more TOI.

lets not put the goon tag on yer boy Erskine. he is not nearly so limited as that. you don't want a goon playing defense.

Erskine is better than that. He is a solid 3rd pair defenseman that needs a mobile veteran to allow him to play his game and cover for his lack of speed. Unfortunately what the Caps have to pair him with are young inexperienced players like Carrick and Oleksy. Players that themselves need a veteran to cover for their youthful mistakes.

Schmidt, btw, is going to be a really good defenseman he just is not going to fill the role of an Erskine or Orpik on our team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad