Confirmed with Link: Capitals to VA is dead. DC decides to pay $515 million dollars to upgrade capital one

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
DC was the best location and glad to see they'll stay. But we won't forget Ted. The fans remember.

Tried to jilt a perfectly good location for VA, had a whole big shebang and presser about it, acting like it was a done deal. And why? All for your larger pockets. I've met Ted a few times and before that (even with Ernie) "I was fine with him. That has changed. Guy ain't going to be idolized in this town no more lol
Come on….this is silly….you won’t forget? Ted would be the first to tell you to move on then….another will fill your seats….

Just be happy they worked it all out. He doesn’t want to or need to be idolized.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Over $500m from DC works out to more than $28,000 per seat. I imagine Ted's plans will put about $200 per seat into upgrading the experience for fans in the 400 level and that at least 50% of the money will be used to create new premium "experiences" and upgrading existing ones for high rollers.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
So, Capital One was constructed for 260 million dollars back in 91. Off an inflation calculator that's about 506 million in today money. So all in all that seems like a sizeable investment.

Flipside though, I really wonder how much they can really upgrade at the stadium? I mean, modernize some stuff sure but I feel like the bigger issues are the surrounding areas.
It looks like they want to move more seats closer to the court and ice, fewer nosebleed seats, a food court and a new entrance at Seventh and F streets.

This is not really that important, but what I want to see is accessible VIP tunnels that can get you to and from Caesars or Ethiad from your seat without having to walk the whole concourse to get there (depending on your seat location). I’m not an engineer so I don’t know if that’s really possible, but a lot of the modern arenas already have accessibility like that

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
some people are still gong to cancel their season tickets not me
They are canceling because the team is trending downward…..ticket sales track to on ice performance…that plus the after sale market is saturated and over controlled and you have a hard time sometimes just getting people to use the tickets 40+ nights….

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Over $500m from DC works out to more than $28,000 per seat. I imagine Ted's plans will put about $200 per seat into upgrading the experience for fans in the 400 level and that at least 50% of the money will be used to create new premium "experiences" and upgrading existing ones for high rollers.
Based on an article from last year, it looks like they plan on having fewer nosebleed seats

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
If I had to guess, a lot of people will renew for next year because Ovi has picked it up so there is a decent chance he hits the record. Once that’s been accomplished, I think you’ll see a significant drop
I imagine there will be some drop-off after Ovie breaks the record, but as CCR notes, team success affects STH numbers. What we're seeing from the guys currently portends good things for the future. So there may actually be a net increase by the time we see Ovie hang them up.

Sep 19, 2008
They are canceling because the team is trending downward…..ticket sales track to on ice performance…that plus the after sale market is saturated and over controlled and you have a hard time sometimes just getting people to use the tickets 40+ nights….
The horn guy said he would cancel his after ovechkin retired lol.

Honestly I don't get that logic but whatever. We win, the team isn't moving, Caps play in the city until 2050, I'm good

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'm not mad. Ted shot his shot for a ton of free money. In the end my interests won out. *Shrug*

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The way I see it, this upgrade stuff is just polishing an old turd. Capital One is 24 years old. It's considered an old building by today's standards. Inside the arena over years, they have had compressor(only 2)/ambient temp too high/humidity issues, and I read on here issue with food quality. Ted overuses the arena. I'm glad the Virginia plan fell apart, as Ted's ego got the best of him once again.

Last edited:
Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
It's amazing that you know what every person who cancels their tickets thinks. At least it's amazing that you think you do.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
The way I see it, this upgrade stuff is just polishing an old turd. Capital One is 24 years old. It's considered an old building by today's standards. Inside the arena over years, they have had compressor(only 2)/ambient temp too high/humidity issues, and I read on here issue with food quality. Ted overuses the arena. I'm glad the Virginia plan fell apart, as Ted's ego got the best of him once again.
But like...they'll never get a new one in DC, so it's Virginia or DC.

I'd prefer a new arena then just redoing the painting on an already old one. I also feel like most of this money won't be used to update the game day atmosphere, feel like they hit gold with Rock the Red around 2010 and have just milked it dry ever since. Nothing new or innovative the few times I've been the last 4 or 5 years, same experience as when I was going in the early 10s.

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The only right decision. Obviously a new complex would have been awesome but that area is in no way suited for something of that magnitude and it would have been incredibly difficult to pull off logistically. There’s really just not enough space to make the road and rail options work.

Reactions: Corby78

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
The way I see it, this upgrade stuff is just polishing an old turd. Capital One is 24 years old. It's considered an old building by today's standards. Inside the arena over years, they have had compressor(only 2)/ambient temp too high/humidity issues. Ted overuses the arena. I'm glad the Virginia plan fell apart, as Ted's ego got the best of him once again.
I have a hard time believing that both teams will be playing at COA by 2047. That’ll be 50 years. I think it’s a fine arena at this point but it’s pretty close to being maxed out and will definitely show its age here sooner rather than later. I’m not sure DC will ever be able to provide the complex that a lot of new venues are built around. It’ll be interesting to watch as the decade goes on

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad