Confirmed with Link: Capitals to VA is dead. DC decides to pay $515 million dollars to upgrade capital one

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Ted nuked all of his remaining (yet waning) good will with the fanbase and replaced Dan Snyder as the most hated owner in DC and also like Dan Snyder he won’t have a new stadium. His complete lack of self-awareness and being surprised about all of the negative feedback really was a terrible look.

Nice work, Ted. Way to go.
It was definitely a Lucille Bluth moment for him.

Just absolutely no understanding what any of the fans or locals want.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Ted nuked all of his remaining (yet waning) good will with the fanbase and replaced Dan Snyder as the most hated owner in DC and also like Dan Snyder he won’t have a new stadium. His complete lack of self-awareness and being surprised about all of the negative feedback really was a terrible look.

I'm ok with him wanting to take an extra $1B to move one state over I just don't see how Virginia taxpayers are cool with their governor wanting to give over $1.5B to a billionaire to move his teams one state over

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm ok with him wanting to take an extra $1B to move one state over I just don't see how Virginia taxpayers are cool with their governor wanting to give over $1.5B to a billionaire to move his teams one state over
I’d wager only the vast minority of VA residents want the stadium in NoVa. I haven’t talked to a single person who is stoked about the idea. I live down the GW Parkway and there are “No to the Arena” signs all the way down from Mt Vernon up through Waynewood and then into Old Town and Potomac Yards. The NIMBYs in Del Ray are insufferable about everything so they’re seasoned professionals at whining and complaining and they’ve waged a strong public opinion campaign against the arena.

There are very few issues that unite the citizens of Alexandria together and this has been one of them.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Bolded for excessive usage of hyperbole.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Bolded for excessive usage of hyperbole.
Fair, but tell me where I’m wrong? Public opinion of him has been declining steadily over the years and this move really surprised and pissed off a ton of people. And who is more disliked at the moment than Ted? Snyder and Angelos are gone. I guess you could make a case for the Lerners but seems nobody really cares about them or the Nats at the moment.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Fair, but tell me where I’m wrong? Public opinion of him has been declining steadily over the years and this move really surprised and pissed off a ton of people. And who is more disliked at the moment than Ted? Snyder and Angelos are gone. I guess you could make a case for the Lerners but seems nobody really cares about them or the Nats at the moment.
I think we have a different view as Caps fans. Wizards fans definitely view him as just as bad as Snyder.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Outsider opinion but for the region and associated teams as a whole, Angelos probably still has to be up there. They've got competitive youth and a good team, but his son now keeps talking about how hard it is to spend and how they're eventually going to lose some of those players... at least Ted opened up the wallet and paid for a competitive franchise for the last 15+ years.

Adding Snyder to the mix just turns the whole comparison into an apples and oranges situation. Like, some of those owners aren't amazing, but they're all leaps and bounds better than a bucket of dog shit. When the bucket of dog shit is finally gone it doesn't mean the next worse guy is also a bucket of dog shit, Snyder no longer being around doesn't make Leonsis worse just by being around.

edit: fair point made while I posted this about the Wizards, kind of forget about them as one of his things. That franchise is garbage and could probably use more TLC, so fair enough.

Block

Feb 14, 2005
Outsider opinion but for the region and associated teams as a whole, Angelos probably still has to be up there. They've got competitive youth and a good team, but his son now keeps talking about how hard it is to spend and how they're eventually going to lose some of those players... at least Ted opened up the wallet and paid for a competitive franchise for the last 15+ years.

Adding Snyder to the mix just turns the whole comparison into an apples and oranges situation. Like, some of those owners aren't amazing, but they're all leaps and bounds better than a bucket of dog shit. When the bucket of dog shit is finally gone it doesn't mean the next worse guy is also a bucket of dog shit, Snyder no longer being around doesn't make Leonsis worse just by being around.

edit: fair point made while I posted this about the Wizards, kind of forget about them as one of his things. That franchise is garbage and could probably use more TLC, so fair enough.
Angelos is gone.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Angelos is gone.
Which one? Last I heard his son was still out there talking about how they'll likely be losing talent they can't retain (even though they could, and are just setting the table for "won't")

EDIT: Ohhhh shit, I forgot they recently just bailed and cashed out. Probably smart, works for me. Still feel like it doesn't instantly make Leonsis worse just by a lack of comparison but that's small potatoes.

Hyperbole but if it's me in a room with two Nazis and two well-to-do, functional humans with hopes and dreams and you took the two Nazis out, I'd be the worst person in the room. Doesn't make me at all worse in any way, the framework just changed.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Naturally you can feel how you feel. I just don't have a problem with Leonsis's desire to build a new arena and have more space. As a long time VA resident would love for one of the pro teams to be on the west side of the potomac. Also, selfishly, close to me. The Caps have been in Landover and in DC lets just keep the line moving. Now I do have actual nostalgia for the Commanders going back to RFK.

Reactions: Ajax1995

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
For the life of me can't find it but there was an article that kinda inspired me proposing that both the Commanders and the Caps/Zards move to the RFK site. A crap ton of acres are available (190). Leonsis was looking at the 12 for the Potomac yards versus the 4 at the current site.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Found it: With Virginia arena deal roadblocked, Ted Leonsis and Muriel Bowser have a chance to save face

Yes, I’m looking at you, RFK Stadium site.

This would require Leonsis or the city — more likely, both — to put even more money up front for a new building and practice facility. That may not be in the cards. It’s just an idea. But sports team owners can, and do, put up their own money to build their new palaces, even in this day and age of public-private partnerships. Just sayin‘.

(And, yes, I’m aware that Josh Harris, who owns the Commanders and who also owns the 76ers, is looking to move the Sixers out of Wells Fargo and into a new building just inches from — ironically — the Chinatown section of Philadelphia. Just work with me here.)

The RFK site sits on 190 acres, including the massive parking lots that surround the stadium and the D.C. Armory. I don’t know what Harris’ vision is for a new stadium. I don’t know if he just wants to build a nice, new facility for the Commanders, seating 60,000 to 70,000, or if he wants to blow it out and go all JerryWorld on us — a behemoth of a palace, built for Super Bowls, World Cups and Final Fours and Beyoncé and Taylor Swift shows. AT&T Stadium seats 80,000 to 100,000, with the surrounding area housing 900,000 square feet of retail space, another 150,000 square feet of office space, an entertainment district and Globe Life Field, which opened in 2020, for the World Series champion Texas Rangers.

I’m guessing it’s the latter.

The Cowboys’ monster complex is on 135-140 acres of land.

The Wizards need about 12 acres for a new arena and practice facility.

• Love
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
How to fleece taxpayers: Pay "experts" to concoct revenue projections that are unfettered to reality:

$730 rooms, $75 parking: Youngkin’s own report calls arena forecasts rosy​

Yet the Feb. 28 analysis, conducted by the Maryland-based public finance consulting firm MuniCap Inc. and obtained by The Washington Post, discloses for the first time that the financing plan assumes thousands of fans will pay $75 for parking, the teams’ owner will host 53 more events annually in Alexandria than it did last year at its current D.C. arena, and a new luxury hotel will book rooms at a “historically unprecedented” rate of $731 a night.
Stuff that rivals some of #45's financials.

Wapo 2024.03.14

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It dead. :)

Good riddance. I didn't know nobody who liked it.

- location was worse than original
- taxpayers would have bore the brunt of it

Not to say that COA is perfect, it's not, but it was miles better than the location.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Jumping in to remind everyone that in the past 6 years, two of Ted's teams have won championships. Sure the Bullzards are perennially terrible and the Alexandria thing was stupid on its face, but he's NO Snyder or Angelos either.
Saying he’s anything close to or Snyder-like is idiotic talk….sorry…..ungrateful ass fans….

Reactions: Calicaps

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The NIMBYs in Del Ray are insufferable about everything so they’re seasoned professionals at whining and complaining and they’ve waged a strong public opinion campaign against the arena.

The "NIMBYs" in Del Ray overwhelmingly support low income housing.

Anyway, NIMBY is a poor description here. It's better suited for things NOBODY wants but everyone needs, like sewage treatment facilities, paper mills, and coal plants.

As far as I can tell, the majority of the people of DC want the stadium. It seems to me it does a greater community good in DC than it does in Potomac yard.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Is there a way I can have the opinion that I don't want increased local traffic without being labelled a "whiner" or a "NIMBY?"

Is managing traffic volume off limits as something a person should want?

Reactions: Corby78

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1