GDT: Capitals @ Rangers: Big City Greens Edition | 3/14/23 | 7:00p ET

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So evidently the Caps and Rangers will be simulcast in the Metaverse tonight complete with a chicken referee and characters from the series. Grandma Alice and her son Bill with replace the goalies and Cricket Green and Tilly Green will replace a player on each team. Lol for whatever player gets replaced by a cartoon character.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil Racki

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So the game with this cartoon show graphics will also be on Disney Plus and Cartoon network?

Cool.

Ill check it out.
That’s what it seems like. The real game is on ESPN and then at the same time you can watch Metaverse Ovi blast pucks by Grandma Alice on Disney+ and other channels.

Really curious what’d they do if there was a fight? (I got bored of reading the article and stopped so it might be mentioned there already.)

Reactions: Neil Racki

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Speaking of weird/gimmicky Metaverse sports-related broadcasts, I'm still hoping NHL games will one day become available in 360-degree VR (at a good resolution).

I've seen some clips of NBA games in VR (where you can shift around to different seats/perspectives) and it was pretty great, even though the resolution was bad on my ancient original Quest.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
So evidently the Caps and Rangers will be simulcast in the Metaverse tonight complete with a chicken referee and characters from the series. Grandma Alice and her son Bill with replace the goalies and Cricket Green and Tilly Green will replace a player on each team. Lol for whatever player gets replaced by a cartoon character.

I'm old and very confused by this

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
How I wish DisnESPN would spend this much energy fixing their actual NHL broadcasts.
You mean you don’t like Steve Levy, Chris Chelios, and Mark Messier sounding like they had eight bourbons right before the broadcast and needing a nap before the first period is over? Strange.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I will never forgive the abomination that was the call of Ovie's 800th.
The absolute worst. It should have been a career highlight for them getting to call something historic that quite possibly they won’t be alive to see happen again and they acted like they were calling a high school preseason game. I really gave a shit about watching Chelios read the roster card for one of the worst teams in the league.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The worst thing is that you know every game leading up to 895 is going to be on national TV.

Hopefully they at least get the TNT crew to call it rather than the ESPN jokers! Or better yet just sign Joe Beninati to a short-term contract to call those national games. It'd be a real shame if he didn't get to call it. If I were Ted Leonsis I'd try to make that a priority when the time comes.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
The worst thing is that you know every game leading up to 895 is going to be on national TV.

Hopefully they at least get the TNT crew to call it rather than the ESPN jokers! Or better yet just sign Joe Beninati to a short-term contract to call those national games. It'd be a real shame if he didn't get to call it. If I were Ted Leonsis I'd try to make that a priority when the time comes.
Sounds amazing. But lets cross that bridge when we get there.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Speaking of weird/gimmicky Metaverse sports-related broadcasts, I'm still hoping NHL games will one day become available in 360-degree VR (at a good resolution).

I've seen some clips of NBA games in VR (where you can shift around to different seats/perspectives) and it was pretty great, even though the resolution was bad on my ancient original Quest.

I've said many times, I'd pay for an on-ice audio feed so I could hear the heckling and shit-talking between players.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So are we rooting for them to win or lose tonight?

TANK. They're just on the cusp of playing themselves out of any shot at 1OA

1678826301132.png

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
On one hand, I'd take a puncher's chance in the playoffs with this roster (especially after already benefitting from a partial selloff). I don't expect this Caps team to upset this year's Boston team like the Habs upset the Caps in 2010, but who knows.

On the other hand, I'd take a 3% chance at Bedard, even though losing a bunch of games and missing the playoffs doesn't guarantee the Caps that 3% chance.

On the other hand (yes I have three hands), what I want doesn't make a bit of difference in how the Caps perform on the ice for the rest of the season. Whatever happens, happens. And, at this point, I've divested myself from my previous excessive/unhealthy emotional investment in the Caps' success to the point that I won't be bothered with this season's result (which includes the most likely outcome: barely missing the playoffs AND not getting that 3% chance).

Reactions: YippieKaey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad