Prospect Info: Capitals Prospects and Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - 2014-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think I've ever called him a "passenger," but I definitely do agree he's best suited as a complimentary player. He doesn't create his own offense, but at lower levels he's excelled at rounding out lines and finishing scoring chances. Unfortunately that has been spotty at translating to the AHL and certainly doesn't seem present at all in the NHL to this point.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Riat with 4 goals in the last two games for Geneve-servette of the NLA, brings his point total up to 14 points through 31 games. Does anyone know what the plan is with this kid?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Riat with 4 goals in the last two games for Geneve-servette of the NLA, brings his point total up to 14 points through 31 games. Does anyone know what the plan is with this kid?

Generally from a fan perspective who don't get to see the euro prospects play unless its world juniors seeing how much their play has improved in each dev. camp they participate I always took note of. Main thing is if they look like they can make the jump to Hershey.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Generally from a fan perspective who don't get to see the euro prospects play unless its world juniors seeing how much their play has improved in each dev. camp they participate I always took note of. Main thing is if they look like they can make the jump to Hershey.

I would think that the NLA is somewhat comparable to the AHL, and he's been putting up like pretty OK numbers. I'm not sure what his contract situation is, but I think he's an interesting piece, and hopefully we'll get a glimpse of him in hershey soon

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I'd love to get a look at some of these forward prospects in Hershey. The best rookie this year has been Bau and he's on an AHL deal. He's now getting top line time and featured on the 2nd PP unit. I hope Washington gives him a contract because he's showing he deserves it. Come a long way already since the start of the year.

I've also liked the play of Mason Mitchell. He isn't putting up the points but he has been great physically and on the forecheck. He skates pretty well for a guy his size. Maybe a bottom 6 guy in the future at the NHL level.

Gustafsson has been less than impressive. He was sent down last week to SC and in his 3 games played at that level he has 0 points and is a -1 on a pretty good SC team.

Hershey also recently recalled Dylan Margonari. I watched his first game the other night and was impressed. Great speed, especially for a guy coming off a major back injury. He's 25 and on an AHL deal so not really considered a prospect but he's one to keep an eye on. Given a PK role right away so the coaching staff is showing confidence in him.

Anyone watch enough of the college guys to get an update on them? Looks like stat wise a lot of our college guys are having good seasons. Other than Gersich and Pinho, who could make the jump next year to Hershey? Priskie?

JayZIH

Nov 29, 2017
Someone has news of S.Gersich, C.Priskie, Brian Pihno and Steven Spinner...
Do they have a good season so far?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
what would your top 10 prospect list look like as of today? anyone having a surprisingly good year?
curious where johansen would slot, in particular.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
what would your top 10 prospect list look like as of today? anyone having a surprisingly good year?
curious where johansen would slot, in particular.

What my list would look like, assuming Vrana/Djoos/Bowey/Stephenson are graduated:

1. Ilya Samsonov
2. Shane Gersich
3. Lucas Johansen
4. Jonas Siegenthaler
5. Axel Jonsson Fjallby
6. Travis Boyd
7. Connor Hobbs
8. Pheonix Copley
9. Nathan Walker
10. Vitek Vanecek

This is based off of what I've read and what I've seen (I admittedly haven't seen them a lot), and values upside more than NHL-readiness. Gersich is having a down year statistically (mainly because his linemates Jost and Boeser left), but I like his game and he's probably the most skilled forward prospect they have so he still ranks highly for me.

Guys that are having good years are Johansen, Fjallby, and Benton Maass. I left off Maass mostly due to sample size, but from what I've read he's been a surprise for UNH and is a guy to pay attention to.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapsJunkie

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Happy that Bourque got the call for team USA and excited to watch him play. Not excited for any of the games he's going to miss because he's Hershey's entire offense and they are going to suck without him

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

how about this guy? :)

I will admit he has been a surprise but he's been quiet recently and has spent time in the bottom 6 and on the 4th line. Also not the greatest when your second leading scorer has 9 goals in 30 games :shakehead

Hershey didn't have the greatest offseason and the organization's obsession with hoarding grinders seems to be the reason why this team can't keep up with WBS and LV who have used their veteran slots for guys that bring offense to the table. Replacing the offense lost from losing Vrana (36 points in 49 games), Bowey (14 points in 34 GP), Stephenson (38 points last year, 6 points in 6 games this year), and Djoos (13 goals, 58 points) to Washington and losing Paul Carey (24 goals, 55 points in 55 games), Christian Thomas(24 goals, 49 points), and Stan Galiev (21 goals, 40 points in 56 games) in the offseason has been a disaster. Wayne Simpson was supposed to be a big part of the offense and he has been a so so addition so far. He's at 19 points in 35 games. John Albert has been awful with 7 points in 22 games played. Wouldn't be surprised to see the team move a vet for offensive help if they can find any.

I also can't fathom how the coaching staff and management can't find a way to stop the opposing team from bombarding Vitek and Copley with shots. The last 5 games I've gone to Hershey has been outshot and has given up a ton of breakaways and odd man rushes. The defense has been rough and I think it has to do a lot with having 3-4 young guys playing a night. I feel bad for the goalies and I hope that they get some offensive help soon

It's going to be a rough rest of the year.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
how is hobbs doing so far?
He's had a little bit of a learning curve to start but I think he's getting more comfortable game by game. It's tough to really read him because he's played so sparingly due to his wrist/arm injury.

He has all the skills to make it to the next level. The only knock I've ever read has been on his skating and I haven't had a lot of time to analyze that. He has a huge slap shot and he isn't afraid to use it on the PP and he plays very physical. Both of his fights I've seen he's won and he fights with a mean streak. I also like that he has the size and body type to be in the NHL.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hobbs' in-zone coverage and gap control has been a work in progress, even at lower levels. That's the area that we will need to pay attention to as his role increases in Hershey. No doubt he has the offensive tools required to succeed in the NHL, but whether or not he will be a liability when the other team is attacking remains to be seen.

Also, yes, his skating stride looks awkward.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Pilon was moved to Everett from Kamloops today

Hershey with two big wins this weekend over Charlotte. Saturday's game wasn't pretty after they had 4 shots in the first period and about 9 in the second. They finally adjusted and actually shot the puck in the third and finally put a few in the back of the net. The line of Walker-Graovac-Barber has looked good and Walker has provided a ton of energy and effort level that was lacking in the team. He turned the game around with a huge hit in the 2nd period of Saturday's game that got the boys going. He's been great since he was sent down and you can tell he wants to be recalled again.

Oh and Walker has played PP and PK too so Barry can't lie and say he hasn't this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad