Prospect Info: Capitals Prospects and Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - 2014-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
"Forward Beck Malenstyn is out of the Hitmen lineup for an indefinite period of time after sustaining a wrist injury during Calgary’s 5-4 road loss to the Saskatoon Blades"

I noticed this guy got traded to Swift Current...anyone have an update? Looks like a scorer with a wonky wrist now....curses...

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey lost in OT to Springfield last night who is lower in the standings. I left early and didn't see the Springfield GW goal but apparently it was controversial. According to accounts, Copley had the puck covered and didn't get a whistle. Bobby Farnham apparently came in and either slashed Copley's glove or bumped into him which led to the puck getting loose. Farnham then put the puck in the open net to win. The AHL rules or lack thereof apparently made it so the goal wasn't challengeable or reviewable.

Either way, this team has zero energy and zero compete level outside of the line of Walker-Graovac-Barber. Even Bourque and Boyd's line has gone stale. No one's hitting, no one's playing physical, and the PP is absolutely terrible to watch.

Ness is the newest member of my shit list. He has zero chemistry with any of the forwards on the PP, keeps turning the puck over constantly including his newly patented drop pass to absolutely no one, and he has regressed significantly in his own zone.

This team is just a mess right now and I hope they can right the ship but it's not looking good

Reactions: Lurch

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
How is Barber doing? Is he a guy who looks like he could compete for a bottom 6 spot next year?
Barber has played well now that he is comfortable on a line with Walker and Graovac. I'd say that the organization is trying to groom him more into that role because he has been given a good amount of PK time this year as opposed to the last few seasons. I don't see why he couldn't compete, but he hasn't shown the ability to drive a line offensively on his own in the minors which is problematic. I'd say he competes for a spot but eventually hits the waiver wire, especially if we sign some college FAs and/or get some surprise training camp performances from some rookie guys.

The one gripe I do have with Mann and his staff is that their PP coach is abysmal. Barber scores a lot of gritty type goals and is a perfect candidate for the "Oshie" spot on the PP in Hershey but doesn't seem to play a lot of that role. They like to put a big guy (O'Brien, Bau, Graovac) in that spot for tip ins and screens instead of allowing that role to roam a bit more and look for a one timer like Oshie does.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Riat with 2+1 today, bringing his point total up to 11 goals and 12 assists in 37 games.

Game
his first goal was pretty nice @2:13, second and OTGWG @3:42

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Barber has played well now that he is comfortable on a line with Walker and Graovac. I'd say that the organization is trying to groom him more into that role because he has been given a good amount of PK time this year as opposed to the last few seasons. I don't see why he couldn't compete, but he hasn't shown the ability to drive a line offensively on his own in the minors which is problematic. I'd say he competes for a spot but eventually hits the waiver wire, especially if we sign some college FAs and/or get some surprise training camp performances from some rookie guys.

The one gripe I do have with Mann and his staff is that their PP coach is abysmal. Barber scores a lot of gritty type goals and is a perfect candidate for the "Oshie" spot on the PP in Hershey but doesn't seem to play a lot of that role. They like to put a big guy (O'Brien, Bau, Graovac) in that spot for tip ins and screens instead of allowing that role to roam a bit more and look for a one timer like Oshie does.
I think at this point my hope for Barber is that he can become an NHL player somewhere between Michael Raffl, Brett Connolly, Matt Read, or Colton Sissons. That 3rd line complimentary scorer that doesn't look terribly out of place on either special teams unit. But even that is a rather optimistic outlook.

Chockey Hockey

Jul 4, 2014

Ryan Murphy doesn't seem to have a clue as to how to run a powerplay. He always has guys on the wrong side of the ice for "one-timers". You can see the D-men progressing under Cashman but the PP under Murphy seems to get worse.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Ryan Murphy doesn't seem to have a clue as to how to run a powerplay. He always has guys on the wrong side of the ice for "one-timers". You can see the D-men progressing under Cashman but the PP under Murphy seems to get worse.
Agreed. When you have the greatest AHL player of this generation on your top PP unit you constantly feed him the puck to look for one-timers. Bourque is a special player that Hershey is lucky to have. The guy has made his money from being a key PP contributer and I'd argue that well over half his points have been as a result of the PP.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Just coming in to post that the Bears still suck and won't make the playoffs. 5-2 loss in the Outdoor Classic with more subpar D and more terrible goaltending from Copley. Vanecek should get 2/3 of the games from here on out because he deserves them.

The "system" of constant dump and chase and cycling the puck until the perfect pass comes isn't working anymore and Mann continues to not make adjustments.

This team is in dire need of a few deals to bring in more goal scoring.

Reactions: Lurch

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Former Bear Andrew Carroll passed away recently after a fall at the Chicago's O'Hare International Airport. He was only 32 years of age. No other details were released at this time other than he fell. Carroll played parts of two seasons for Hershey and was a fan favorite and great teammate. He wasn't the biggest guy, but he wasn't afraid to drop the gloves with anyone. RIP Andrew

College men’s hockey: Ex-UMD captain Andrew Carroll dies after accident – Twin Cities

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well now that theyre saying CTE is from simply hits to the head, not a concussion, makes me wonder about the future of all contact sports.

Twabby has always been the”ban fighting” poster here. Now what, ban hitting? Major penalty for any head contact? Will be interesting to see how some sports develop now.

Life is so precious....I feel sad for Carroll that he came to that final conclusion.

A new study shows that hits to the head, not concussions, cause CTE

Reactions: calicapsfan

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The Bears winless streak has hit 8 games. They pretty much are at rock bottom at this point. Hershey never tolerated this kind of a losing streak under Yingst, so I’d be surprised if there wasn’t any kind of roster shuffling. Mann hasn’t really shuffled his lines a ton. I also want to know what Anthony Peluso, Garrett Mitchell and Hubert Labrie did to get healthy scratched constantly while the guys on the ice continue to be sub par.

I bet this isn’t the 80th season the organization envisioned in the offseason

Chockey Hockey

Jul 4, 2014
Helmer doing nothing but making sure he is on big screen for something every game. It was so bad at Wednesday's game that Bruce McKinney left early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad