Prospect Info: Capitals Prospects and Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - 2014-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I won't be surprised if John Albert is moved. He's been a huge disappointment for a former 20 goal/40 point guy. I found it odd that he was listed as a scratch for Saturday night's game without a designation. They listed Mitchell as a "veteran scratch" but Albert had nothing listed for him.

Only have a couple of weeks to make a few moves. If the guys that are in Hershey don't want to play, recall some SC guys and give them the ice time to send a message.

sashae

Jan 29, 2018
I went to the Hershey/Bridgeport game on Saturday, and man... Hershey did not look great. Nate Walker was easily the best player on the ice, really worked hard, but they made numerous line change mistakes (2 leading to solid breakaways, 1 to a goal) when Gibson made a Barrasso-esque outlet pass as the entire team was off the ice.

Liam O'Brien also lost an edge and whacked his head badly into the boards and left the game -- didn't look good. He was one of the more active players before that, really moving his feet and creating chances. Copley played well, making a number of really athletic saves but the D just kept leaving him out to dry.

SubyDubyTML

May 13, 2013
Currently at the Djurgarden/Frolunda game and Axel Jonsson Fjällby has been a standout for me.

He's got a heck of an engine and relentless on the forecheck. He looks like one of the fastest players out there. I can definitely see the Hagelin comparison that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Currently at the Djurgarden/Frolunda game and Axel Jonsson Fjällby has been a standout for me.

He's got a heck of an engine and relentless on the forecheck. He looks like one of the fastest players out there. I can definitely see the Hagelin comparison that was mentioned earlier in this thread.
Really hope to see him in Hershey next year.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I listened to the Old Barn Hockey Show last night. It's a show dedicated primarily to the Bears but they also talk about the Caps and the AHL and NHL a lot. The show is on Monday nights on local station 1460 AM.

Anyway, they had Ollie Kolzig on to talk about the Bears and it was a good interview. They really pressured him into talking about Hershey's struggles and how to try and fix them. Kolzig mentioned that a lot of the struggle can be focused on Hershey's young D underperforming to the standard that has been set before. He also mentioned how the lack of high quality, young scoring talent really doesn't help Hershey either. Said the veteran AHL guys (Wayne Simpson, John Albert, etc.) are really underperforming given their track record of success at the AHL level. The host of the show asked why those guys aren't being reprimanded by getting scratched night in and night out like Labrie, Peluso and Mitchell are and Kolzig stumbled over the question a little bit at first. He eventually explained that Peluso and Mitchell don't give the Bears a ton of help in the offense department and that's why they aren't getting ice time. Basically, the coaching staff is letting guys like Simpson and Albert underperform because they have a better chance of scoring a goal compared to Peluso and Mitchell.

I don't buy that and I frankly don't like that answer. That creates animosity among the players and it sends the wrong message to the team. If those guys are going to continue to go out and play like shit they deserve to sit. Yeah Mitchell doesn't have the offensive prowess that Simpson has, but I'm sure he's going to let his energy be shown and that sets the right example to the younger prospects. This has been a huge down year for the Bears and it's only going to get worse if the management/staff allow a culture of giving a half assed effort to be allowed.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden

It's back to back. Currently 2 goals in a 3-1 lead. third period about to start

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Lol probably would have had his first career hatty with an easy empty netter but the ref decided to stop both him and the puck :laugh:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
We've talked about Gersich signing in the spring and playing but what about Jonsson? He'd fit the depth PKer with pace need a lot better and seems like a player Trotz would have a lot of time for. It depends how deep Djurgarden goes in the playoffs but particularly if he finishes the season strong I don't think it can be ruled out.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I listened to the Old Barn Hockey Show last night. It's a show dedicated primarily to the Bears but they also talk about the Caps and the AHL and NHL a lot. The show is on Monday nights on local station 1460 AM.

Anyway, they had Ollie Kolzig on to talk about the Bears and it was a good interview. They really pressured him into talking about Hershey's struggles and how to try and fix them. Kolzig mentioned that a lot of the struggle can be focused on Hershey's young D underperforming to the standard that has been set before. He also mentioned how the lack of high quality, young scoring talent really doesn't help Hershey either. Said the veteran AHL guys (Wayne Simpson, John Albert, etc.) are really underperforming given their track record of success at the AHL level. The host of the show asked why those guys aren't being reprimanded by getting scratched night in and night out like Labrie, Peluso and Mitchell are and Kolzig stumbled over the question a little bit at first. He eventually explained that Peluso and Mitchell don't give the Bears a ton of help in the offense department and that's why they aren't getting ice time. Basically, the coaching staff is letting guys like Simpson and Albert underperform because they have a better chance of scoring a goal compared to Peluso and Mitchell.

I don't buy that and I frankly don't like that answer. That creates animosity among the players and it sends the wrong message to the team. If those guys are going to continue to go out and play like **** they deserve to sit. Yeah Mitchell doesn't have the offensive prowess that Simpson has, but I'm sure he's going to let his energy be shown and that sets the right example to the younger prospects. This has been a huge down year for the Bears and it's only going to get worse if the management/staff allow a culture of giving a half assed effort to be allowed.
"lack of high quality, young scoring talent" and we got some who want to trade away high draft picks at the TDL for the chance to find lightning in the bottle.:shakehead

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
We've talked about Gersich signing in the spring and playing but what about Jonsson? He'd fit the depth PKer with pace need a lot better and seems like a player Trotz would have a lot of time for. It depends how deep Djurgarden goes in the playoffs but particularly if he finishes the season strong I don't think it can be ruled out.

I just can't see Trotz trusting a rookie in the spring. Can't see him icing a lineup with Burakovsky, Vrana, Jonsson, Djoos, and Bowey. Too much youth.

Also, can we settle on a name for him? Can we just call him Axel??

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I just can't see Trotz trusting a rookie in the spring. Can't see him icing a lineup with Burakovsky, Vrana, Jonsson, Djoos, and Bowey. Too much youth.

Also, can we settle on a name for him? Can we just call him Axel??
Who knows how many of those guys play in the playoffs, though, or are either moved or upgraded on at the deadline. As-is Stephenson is already in that mix as well so maybe not. I'd tend to put Jonsson (which he went by in the WJCs I think) more in the category of Stephenson/DSP/Chiasson where the trust factor is arguably more of a question with 65/13.

I think it depends on the match-up and just how much they need pace vs. experience and also if they maybe need a bit of a spark at some point. Certainly it would help if he came over earlier and is able to get into regular season games. With how system-focused they are generally that's another strike against him but I wouldn't count him out if he's around and their depth guys are flat/underperforming.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Who knows how many of those guys play in the playoffs, though, or are either moved or upgraded on at the deadline. As-is Stephenson is already in that mix as well so maybe not. I'd tend to put Jonsson (which he went by in the WJCs I think) more in the category of Stephenson/DSP/Chiasson where the trust factor is arguably more of a question with 65/13.

I think it depends on the match-up and just how much they need pace vs. experience and also if they maybe need a bit of a spark at some point. Certainly it would help if he came over earlier and is able to get into regular season games. With how system-focused they are generally that's another strike against him but I wouldn't count him out if he's around and their depth guys are flat/underperforming.
Stephenson and Jonsson, hopefully that's two thirds of the fourth line next season, replacing Beagle and Chiasson.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
What happens with Kevin Elgestal, is it still in the team's plans ?
He's skated with the Bears black aces the last few years. I don't think he actually got into any games if my memory serves me right. I would hope he would be given a shot in Hershey/SC considering the Caps forward depth at those levels isn't great outside of Barber/Boyd/Walker.

SBraun

Mar 10, 2012
Maryland
He's skated with the Bears black aces the last few years. I don't think he actually got into any games if my memory serves me right. I would hope he would be given a shot in Hershey/SC considering the Caps forward depth at those levels isn't great outside of Barber/Boyd/Walker.

I don't think Elgestal is close to a Barber/Boyd level player. Maybe a less offensively talented Walker? Maybe.

Kevin Elgestål hasn't progressed in 2+ seasons in Sweden's second level. (20 points in 97 games) Vita Hasten really needed scoring in 2016 and immediately put him on their top line and. . . Elgestal did pretty much nothing while playing with their top two forwards. So now he's usually on the third line, and he's continued to underachieve.

I'd think that to eventually become a useful NHL (or even AHL) player, he'd need to be on the career trajectory of his former J20 teammate Pierre Engvall who progressed steadily in two Allsvenskan seasons (64 points in 100 games) and has now moved up to play in the SHL.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I don't think Elgestal is close to a Barber/Boyd level player. Maybe a less offensively talented Walker? Maybe.

Kevin Elgestål hasn't progressed in 2+ seasons in Sweden's second level. (20 points in 97 games) Vita Hasten really needed scoring in 2016 and immediately put him on their top line and. . . Elgestal did pretty much nothing while playing with their top two forwards. So now he's usually on the third line, and he's continued to underachieve.

I'd think that to eventually become a useful NHL (or even AHL) player, he'd need to be on the career trajectory of his former J20 teammate Pierre Engvall who progressed steadily in two Allsvenskan seasons (64 points in 100 games) and has now moved up to play in the SHL.
I thought Elgestal was essentially a bottom 6 energy type and not considered a big time point getter?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Stephenson and Jonsson, hopefully that's two thirds of the fourth line next season, replacing Beagle and Chiasson.

I would like to bring back Beagle if he doesn't cost to much, he's still a beast on faceoffs and an ideal 4C. Plus with so many changes it the bottom 6 it would be nice to have some stability.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I thought Elgestal was essentially a bottom 6 energy type and not considered a big time point getter?
He is, but considering Elgestal is playing in tier 2 of Swedish hockey, you expect a lot more progression out of him. Any NHL-worthy forward should at least be pushing for top six time and getting some points there. Heck, it's pretty rare that they even stay in Allsvenskan for that long, usually tracking quickly between J20 leagues and the SHL. I think the best case scenario of a player making a huge jump after middling Allsvenskan performances would be Jesper Bratt, and he was a total surprise. Elgestal (who will turn 22 in May) is currently putting up similar numbers to what Victor Rask did in that league as a 17 year old.

For reference, Pontus Aberg had 40 points in 52 games in Allsvenskan as a 19 year old.
Carl Soderberg was near point/game in Allsvenskan for several seasons before breaking out in the SHL and then being signed by the Bruins.

This doesn't mean Elgestal is a surefire bust, only that his current development trajectory isn't particularly promising.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Anyone care to provide an update concerning LuJo and Siege?
I've skipped the past few weekends of Bears games but I can get you an update when the next home games comes around.

I know Siegenthaler was really struggling the past few games I was able to attend but it's tough to judge a player when the whole team seems to be treading water. His positioning wasn't great and he will go out of his way to make a hit that isn't needed. I've also noticed he isn't great with the puck on his stick. His attempts at passes out of the zone have been off target and going down the ice for an icing call a lot.

I'll keep an eye out the next few games on Siegenthaler, LuJo, and Hobbs to get a better idea on how they are progressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad