Rumor: Capitals interested in goalie MAF

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Maybe he feels his legacy is intertwined with the Pens?

Not the first and won’t be the last to not want to go to a rival.

Seems narrow minded to not understand these are humans with feelings.

PS - I don’t think he needs this to cement his legacy….that’s done already IMO.
Narrow minded? Oh please. That’s crap.

of course they are all humans with feelings. Everyone has their own drum to beat.

Some people feel the earth is flat. Is it narrow minded to think those feelings are stupid?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Narrow minded? Oh please. That’s crap.

of course they are all humans with feelings. Everyone has their own drum to beat.

Some people feel the earth is flat. Is it narrow minded to think those feelings are stupid?

Figured narrow minded was a measured response to you throwing out naive and stupid first.

/shrug

Reactions: McVechkin

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone putting company before themselves IS naive and stupid. We are both old enough to know that.

it’s business. 99% of the time, you get F’d by the business, or you F the business. Probably a few times in a career, at least. Not much in between, I’m afraid. Just hope you’re on correct side of it more often than not.

if he has the best chance to add more glory to his career (and money) w the Caps, then he’d be foolish not to take it.

none of us have forever to make the most we can. Some have longer than others, but we all get put out to pasture at some point in time. Make and do what you can, when you can.

I get loyalty to family, friends, country. 100%. But a pro sports team who already dumped you anyway? /Shrug is right.

that’s just my opinion.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ok man. Not everyone is about chasing one more ring at all costs. Maybe he’s content, or maybe he knows he’ll have other options besides us.

And if he decides he’s too much a lifelong Pen, then I think he’s putting himself first by standing by his beliefs.

There are plenty of Caps players I would be loath to see suit up for the Pens, just for one unlikely attempt at a Cup.

Last edited:

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Anyone putting company before themselves IS naive and stupid. We are both old enough to know that.

it’s business. 99% of the time, you get F’d by the business, or you F the business. Probably a few times in a career, at least. Not much in between, I’m afraid. Just hope you’re on correct side of it more often than not.

if he has the best chance to add more glory to his career (and money) w the Caps, then he’d be foolish not to take it.

none of us have forever to make the most we can. Some have longer than others, but we all get put out to pasture at some point in time. Make and do what you can, when you can.

I get loyalty to family, friends, country. 100%. But a pro sports team who already dumped you anyway? /Shrug is right.

that’s just my opinion.
Real talk, he probably looks at this Caps team and doesn’t see a chance to win another cup, so why change his mind?

Let’s be real, you could put prime Hasek on this team and they still wouldn’t be a favorite.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Real talk, he probably looks at this Caps team and doesn’t see a chance to win another cup, so why change his mind?

Let’s be real, you could put prime Hasek on this team and they still wouldn’t be a favorite.

upload_2022-2-12_21-6-6.gif

Reactions: um

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Ok man. Not everyone is about chasing one more ring at all costs. Maybe he’s content, or maybe he knows he’ll have other options besides us.

And if he decides he’s too much a lifelong Pen, then I think he’s putting himself first by standing by his beliefs.

There are plenty of Caps players I would be loath to see suit up for the Pens, just for one unlikely attempt at a Cup.
Right. Which is why I think he’s soft. Which is the first comment I made that started this whole back and forth

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

Hasek took a much crappier team than the Caps to the finals. Your comment is loco.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Meh. I respect that line of thinking from MAF. And this team isn’t a fleury away from being contender anyway..

Reactions: PlushMinus

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Meh. I respect that line of thinking from MAF. And this team isn’t a fleury away from being contender anyway..

Eh, why not? The Habs almost went the distance last year with a hot goalie and opportunistic scoring. Now without Price they’re trash. We need someone because Sammy and VV aren’t the answers.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Right. Which is why I think he’s soft. Which is the first comment I made that started this whole back and forth

this is a guy who has a family. And also has three stanley cup rings and as much money as him and his kids will never need to live a life that misses nothing. he was thinking seriously about lacing em up and not going to Chicago just few months ago. He has other priorities aside from hockey and his already earned his ”legacy”.

What is really the driving force you think should make him chase an outisde shot of the stanley cup, or that the Caps would be his only choice to do so if he would want to do the cup-chase anyways?

His legacy is done and its done with the Pens and Vegas. Theres no more money to be made by signing with the Caps that he couldnt make elsewhere too. I dont see whats wrong with a little bit sentimentality and loyalty, i wish there was more of it than less.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Does anyone question the source/motivation for Friedman's report about Fleury's supposed misgivings? I think EF is generally tied in, but his report doesn't attribute Flower's possible discomfort directly to the goalie. Maybe he did hear directly from Fleury to signal that the latter would nix a trade to the Caps. If that's the case, I'm not sure why Fleury or his agent wouldn't just come out and say so. Maybe Fleury is looking for an agreement with potential suitors that they would sign him beyond the end of the current season and isn't thrilled with whatever numbers the Caps have floated his way. Or maybe Friedman was doing a solid for whoever is the Hawks' acting GM, or for one of the candidates, to inflate the cost of convincing Fleury to agree to a move. There's just not enough here to take Friedman's report at full face value.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I dunno, I remember trading for halak and seeing how much his heart wasn't in it. I think we'd get the same thing from fleury. Look how hard it was for holtby to play against the team his hearts still at. Inevitably, like it always is for us the road through the playoffs will go through Pittsburgh and I don't want some half hearted guy in net who doesn't want to be there because he's still a penguin at heart. Id sooner get bumped from the playoffs with what we have than give up a bunch of assets for some guy who had no desire to be a capital or play his former team.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
this is a guy who has a family. And also has three stanley cup rings and as much money as him and his kids will never need to live a life that misses nothing. he was thinking seriously about lacing em up and not going to Chicago just few months ago. He has other priorities aside from hockey and his already earned his ”legacy”.

What is really the driving force you think should make him chase an outisde shot of the stanley cup, or that the Caps would be his only choice to do so if he would want to do the cup-chase anyways?

His legacy is done and its done with the Pens and Vegas. Theres no more money to be made by signing with the Caps that he couldnt make elsewhere too. I dont see whats wrong with a little bit sentimentality and loyalty, i wish there was more of it than less.
I’d want to win another Cup. That’s how I roll. Maybe there are better options than Washington. But not many (like 1-2, if at all), if he wants to be the starter.

again. I THINK it’s soft. If you don’t, more power to you, bud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad