Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Caps:
upload_2022-1-25_23-14-9.jpeg

MAF:
shut-up-and-give-me-your-money-14042808.png

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I like how Vanecek is struggling with similar numbers as MAF who is 'still playing at a high level'.

Seems like a boom-or-bust move. MAF on his best is a great goalie but then again he single-handedly cost the Penguins few Cups and it took replacing him for them to win 2 Cups.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I like how Vanecek is struggling with similar numbers as MAF who is 'still playing at a high level'.

Seems like a boom-or-bust move. MAF on his best is a great goalie but then again he single-handedly cost the Penguins few Cups and it took replacing him for them to win 2 Cups.

I think you need to take into account that MAF is playing on a team that is considerably worse defensively than the Caps.
And he's played more games and faced more shots than Vanacek. A lot more actually - 890 saves vs 579.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I guess at the very least, this shows that Mantha isn't coming back this year unless it's in the playoffs for cap reasons. Would still need MAF need to be retained as well.

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
I think you need to take into account that MAF is playing on a team that is considerably worse defensively than the Caps.
And he's played more games and faced more shots than Vanacek. A lot more actually - 890 saves vs 579.

How are considerably worse defensively? There expected goals against/60 is lower then the Caps. 2nd lowest in the league after Boston. They are not good because they have the worst offense in the league.

I don’t think I will like the price for a rental with worse numbers then Vanacek.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I'm all for it cause VV and Sammy ain't ready for primetime but when's the last time somebody traded for a goaltender and won the cup with them?...seems goalie acquisitions at the deadline never work out.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
How are considerably worse defensively? There expected goals against/60 is lower then the Caps. 2nd lowest in the league after Boston. They are not good because they have the worst offense in the league.

Where are you seeing that Chicago's xGA/60 is second best in the league?

Evolving Hockey has them at 13th in the league at 2.85 xGA/60 (all situations), and Natural Stat Trick has them at 17th in the league at 2.82 xGA/60 (all situations). They have similar ranks at 5v5.

Your point remains that Chicago isn't a tire-fire defensively but they're not nearly as good as Washington.

Reactions: Neil Racki

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Seeking info on MAF:

1) Record/ SV% vs the East
2) Record/ SV% vs Metro
3) Record/ SV% vs the Pens haha Ugh

Yes, I'm too busy aka lazy to look them up. tia

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Where are you seeing that Chicago's xGA/60 is second best in the league?

Evolving Hockey has them at 13th in the league at 2.85 xGA/60 (all situations), and Natural Stat Trick has them at 17th in the league at 2.82 xGA/60 (all situations). They have similar ranks at 5v5.

Your point remains that Chicago isn't a tire-fire defensively but they're not nearly as good as Washington.

Got them from moneypuck. I accidentally looked at 5v5 2.15 xGA (2nd) For all situations it’s 2.65 (3rd) and Caps at 1th with 2.56.
The table layout is easy to quickly look something up quickly, but the numbers are significant different. That’s not good.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I don’t think MAF has been considerably better than either VV or Samsonov so far this year, but I think he has a lot higher ceiling in the playoffs. I don’t see either VV or Sammy stealing a series in the playoffs, let alone a single game. You could see MAF doing that. And all 3 can easily lose you a game/series with their gaffes as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad