Rumor: Capitals had discussed a three team deal for Mantha including Montreal's Armia, also discussed Mantha with Flyers and Sharks

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
I always assumed they didn't want to attach anything to him anyway. That's why they would look at someone like Armia, so they can do a "change of scenary" kind of trade. It could be Labanc/Hoffman/Duclair from SJ or a return from Garnet Hathaway from Philly.
Hathaway being quietly mentioned in some threads lately. Must be the images of Cozens’ nose… Philly should listen if interest is real.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Vrana-Mantha was the classic lose-lose trade.
Actually it’s already a pretty slam dunk win for Detroit at this point….. and has a chance to go down as one of the best trades in recent memory. Remember, they also got Cossa and Buchelnikov in that trade. Not to mention that big 7th rounder in 2025 they got for Vrana.

Cossa is a 20 year old goalie with over a .920 save percentage in the AHL, and Buchelnikov is one of the best offensive prospects in Europe, playing in the KHL at 19. He may have turned 20 by now, but he’s a dynamic kid. There was another great highlight about a week ago, all over Twitter.

People forget Vrana was basically the throw-in during that trade. The 1st and 2nd round picks were the main assets.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Vrana-Mantha was the classic lose-lose trade.
Vrana was actually the throw-in during that trade. The 1st and 2nd Round picks were the main assets, and Detroit is probably very happy with those two prospects right now.

Cossa is a 20 year old goaltender with over a .920 save percentage in the AHL. Right on schedule after a bumpy start, and Buchelnikov is one of the most offensively gifted prospects in Europe, playing in the KHL at 19. There’s another highlight reel from him about a week ago, going around Twitter.

So that trade is pretty much a slam dunk win for Detroit at this point. We’ll see what Detroit does with the 7th rounder they got for Vrana. Which is about the most the Caps could get in return for Mantha these days.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The Caps know Garnet Hathaway well, obviously. At $1.5M for four years, he was really good value. At his current contract, I don't think it makes sense, though. It's all about playing - and paying him - within his limits. His UFA deal creates an imbalance and he's starting to age out.

I'd just as soon see the Caps ride it out with Mantha and be done with it after the season.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Agreed, he is still over paid but watching him doesn't make me mad anymore. He looks like a solid bottom 6 forward again. Ideally on your 4th line but could probably handle 3rd line minutes.

Problem with Armia is that you get flashes of him where he plays like a beast. He is big, can skate fine, good hands and shot - he may be a bottom 6, but i still consider that dissapointing in his case.

I've seen a few pieces on Armia over the years that talk about his unfilled potential in offense. It is as if each coach sees his potential, thinks they can jumpstart him, but fails to do so. Each coach that has him will tell you he has all the tools to be a top 6. By all accounts he puts in the work, shows up on time, so it doesn't sound like a work ethic issue. Is it an offensive IQ thing? Confidence thing? Not competitive enough? Not motivated? He is frustrating. When the habs made the finals a few years back, he had games where i thought "There he is!", thinking he had finally found that "thing" he was missing. Nope. I was wrong

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Problem with Armia is that you get flashes of him where he plays like a beast. He is big, can skate fine, good hands and shot - he may be a bottom 6, but i still consider that dissapointing in his case.

I've seen a few pieces on Armia over the years that talk about his unfilled potential in offense. It is as if each coach sees his potential, thinks they can jumpstart him, but fails to do so. Each coach that has him will tell you he has all the tools to be a top 6. By all accounts he puts in the work, shows up on time, so it doesn't sound like a work ethic issue. Is it an offensive IQ thing? Confidence thing? Not competitive enough? Not motivated? He is frustrating. When the habs made the finals a few years back, he had games where i thought "There he is!", thinking he had finally found that "thing" he was missing. Nope. I was wrong
So… he and Mantha are twins is what you’re saying. You could have taken Armia’s name out of this and I would have thought you were talking about Mantha.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

Yeah usually he was finally getting hot, and was getting hurt or something like that.

Frustrating definitely is a fitting word for him. He was injured a lot when he was young, too, probably didn't help him figure things out. When he's on, he plays like a top-6 2-way forward who's a beast with the puck and has a very dangerous shot, when he's off, which is now 90% of the time, he barely is a bottom-6 guy, at least before he was a pretty good one.

He doesn't give a f***, but a change of scenery may wake him up... for a couple games at least.

Jan 21, 2018
Dvorak for Mantha and a 2nd?

3rd overall -> Kotkaniemi -> Dvorak -> Mantha + 2nd

Crazy how Montreal fans went out of their way to trash Kotkaniemi. I guess it makes sense when you realize they prefer Mantha + 2nd more than 3rd Overall lmao

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Crazy how Montreal fans went out of their way to trash Kotkaniemi. I guess it makes sense when you realize they prefer Mantha + 2nd more than 3rd Overall lmao

Not all Montreal fans have the same opinion, LMAO.

I wanted to match the Kotkaniemi offer.

Reactions: Kimota

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010

That logic is flawless.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
So… he and Mantha are twins is what you’re saying. You could have taken Armia’s name out of this and I would have thought you were talking about Mantha.
Well to a point.. Mantha is the better player and has 100pts more than Armia in a similar number of games.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad