Rumor: Capitals had discussed a three team deal for Mantha including Montreal's Armia, also discussed Mantha with Flyers and Sharks

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Where would Mantha slot in the lineup though?
Hopefully Slaf works out with Suzuki and Cole.

So Mantha would be on the 3rd or 4th line. A forward would have to go the other way to Washington. Peason, Armia, or even Anderson or Dvo?

Pearson for Mantha and a 2nd?
Dvorak for Mantha and a 2nd?
Anderson for Manatha and a 1st?

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Hopefully Slaf works out with Suzuki and Cole.

So Mantha would be on the 3rd or 4th line. A forward would have to go the other way to Washington. Peason, Armia, or even Anderson or Dvo?

Pearson for Mantha and a 2nd?
Dvorak for Mantha and a 2nd?
Anderson for Manatha and a 1st?
Yes, Capitals are eager to add an another anchor for longer and pay to do so.

Mantha trade is old news now that Backstrom isn't playing. There isn't really a need to dump him at this stage.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Don't get why WSH would do this trade. He is in the last year of his deal, and WSH is probably a bottom feeder this year anways. Might as well play him a ton and help you lose games, or if he plays well and rebuild his value in time for the TDL and you get an asset with 50% retained. Why would they give up draft picks here. Makes no sense.
Washington are 15th overall, and currently in a playoff spot.

• Haha
Reactions: Hivemind

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yes, Capitals are eager to add an another anchor for longer and pay to do so.

Mantha trade is old news now that Backstrom isn't playing. There isn't really a need to dump him at this stage.
It's debatable whether or not those contracts are anchors.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Everyone is within 2-4 points. Way to early to say anything for sure.
Too many better teams ahead of them that they need to jump over. They missed the playoffs by 12 points last year, and the team is not better. They currently have the worst goal differential in the East, I don't see it happening.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Too many better teams ahead of them that they need to jump over. They missed the playoffs by 12 points last year, and the team is not better. They currently have the worst goal differential in the East, I don't see it happening.

They don't really have anyone they need to "jump over" at this point in time, they have one of the worst PDOs in the league with pretty average underlying numbers and their PP is due for positive regression.

Its way to early to say they're missing the playoffs, they're part of the mushy middle that are contending for a few of the playoff spots.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
enweille a maison anthony!

duishfne1on41.png

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
I hate watching Anthony Mantha so much. He’s been blessed with just about every tool you could have including being 6’5 & 235 and yet.. nothing. Skill, power, hands, decent speed and yet he can never be a consistant threat. It blows my mind someone with so many tools can do so little. Dude should be a perennial 30 goal man out there yet he’s barely in the lineup and when he is, it looks like he’s not even trying. Pathetic.

Montreal fans would eat this guy alive.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Carlson missed half of last season.
It's still going to be something of a mixed bag after losing Orlov, basically swapped one important piece for another, but watching the team and how they've played over the last 9 games or so and they're getting more and more in tune with the new coaching and system. I think I just made a post on the Caps board that says they're like 4-2-1 since the Sens blowout, which very much felt like a "let's play the system all game no matter what and really try to get it" game, and since then they've looked better and better.

I don't have my hopes up, it might even be a bad idea for them to make it instead of just playing it out for the pick, but they seem smack dab in the middle of either being bad or just fine with an outside playoff chance.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Mantha
Aube-Kubel

For

Armia @2,35m
Monahan

Habs retain for Armia to balance the actual money owed between him and Mantha. Caps get Monahan to replace Backys spot for this year and Habs gets NAK to replace Armia in their fourth line.

Nobody loses futures, everybody gets rid of ”dudes”.

Reactions: Rockingred12

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Mantha
Aube-Kubel

For

Armia @2,35m
Monahan

Habs retain for Armia to balance the actual money owed between him and Mantha. Caps get Monahan to replace Backys spot for this year and Habs gets NAK to replace Armia in their fourth line.

Nobody loses futures, everybody gets rid of ”dudes”.
Montreal only gets rid of Monahan if there's something positive coming back.

3 of the 4 contracts are negative.

Reactions: pth2

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Montreal only gets rid of Monahan if there's something positive coming back.

3 of the 4 contracts are negative.
I sort of think the 2,35 mills in cap space you save for next year is a little catch there. It should be worth a pick, id figure. So the positive is dumping the negative. And Mantha is net negative but still has the highest ceiling of the mentioned dudes, he hasnt been that terrible to start the season. You might get more than you bargained for :)

Edit. That being said, i dont mind entertaining a counter offer of some of our ’not top’ prospects instead of NAK.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I sort of think the 2,35 mills in cap space you save for next year is a little catch there. It should be worth a pick, id figure. So the positive is dumping the negative. And Mantha is net negative but still has the highest ceiling of the mentioned dudes, he hasnt been that terrible to start the season. You might get more than you bargained for :)

Edit. That being said, i dont mind entertaining a counter offer of some of our ’not top’ prospects instead of NAK.
It will require a 1st+ to get Monahan.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

The cap space helps, but the Habs hopefully aren't entertaining going for it next year. By going for it, I mean making trades for established players with term and start trending, or trying to trend upwards.

Monahan wouldn't cost a top prospect.

At this point I'd say a 2nd.

Monahan for a 2025 2nd.

Monahan and Armia for Mantha and 2025 2nd.

Monahan for Mantha, Aube-Kubel and 2 2nds. Unless it's a deadline deal, which Mantha wouldn't cost much, if anything to move. NAK would be easily accepted as a throw in in a deadline deal as his cap hit being buried would be like 7k, but any cap space is valuable.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I don't really see why Montreal would care about having more cap space next off-season. They're mid-rebuild and not projected to be at the cap even before putting Prices on LTIR. They'd like to use their willingness to spend money and cap room to take on a big hit, to clean up their cap a bit, but using their last retention spot and perhaps best rental piece to create cap space they don't need doesn't make much sense.

And if we're using "ceilings" that most of these players wont hit, then Monahan clearly has the highest ceiling based on each player's peak and is the one that is playing closest to it right now.

As for a counter offer? I don't really see one, the framework doesn't really make sense for Montreal. They'd be better off with the status quo and selling Monahan to the highest bidder (or trying to re-sign him if they believe that he can stay healthy and the term/AAV wouldn't be onerous.

Reactions: Qwijibo and pth2

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
It will require a 1st+ to get Monahan.
The cap space helps, but the Habs hopefully aren't entertaining going for it next year. By going for it, I mean making trades for established players with term and start trending, or trying to trend upwards.

Monahan wouldn't cost a top prospect.

At this point I'd say a 2nd.

Monahan for a 2025 2nd.

Monahan and Armia for Mantha and 2025 2nd.

Monahan for Mantha, Aube-Kubel and 2 2nds. Unless it's a deadline deal, which Mantha wouldn't cost much, if anything to move. NAK would be easily accepted as a throw in in a deadline deal as his cap hit being buried would be like 7k, but any cap space is valuable.
I don't really see why Montreal would care about having more cap space next off-season. They're mid-rebuild and not projected to be at the cap even before putting Prices on LTIR. They'd like to use their willingness to spend money and cap room to take on a big hit, to clean up their cap a bit, but using their last retention spot and perhaps best rental piece to create cap space they don't need doesn't make much sense.

And if we're using "ceilings" that most of these players wont hit, then Monahan clearly has the highest ceiling based on each player's peak and is the one that is playing closest to it right now.

As for a counter offer? I don't really see one, the framework doesn't really make sense for Montreal. They'd be better off with the status quo and selling Monahan to the highest bidder (or trying to re-sign him if they believe that he can stay healthy and the term/AAV wouldn't be onerous.

Sure, fair enough.

Monahan isnt really a guy the Caps desperately need, at all, just tried to look something that could make sense in the frame of Mantha for Armia. But seems like i undervalued Monahan here.

He sure is rebounding nicely, but it doesnt make sense for a middle of the pack team like Caps to spend picks here. Figured the cap space was close to 2nd in value but if you dont need it, its a moot point. Maybe a contender bulks up the picks!

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
They have got him doing locker room tv interviews so I'd say he is going to be a Capital for years to come.
Good to hear he is settling in - I was eyeing him up as a potential trade bait for the Caps if things were looking sour for him, but with Backstrom and Kuznetsov being Kuznetsov, I guess he's highly needed.

Reactions: ChrisProngersEYE

ChrisProngersEYE

Aug 17, 2023
Good to hear he is settling in - I was eyeing him up as a potential trade bait for the Caps if things were looking sour for him, but with Backstrom and Kuznetsov being Kuznetsov, I guess he's highly needed.
Yeah I'd say both him and Milano have become core, moving on from the old timers minus Ovie. Strome is honestly the most valuable player on the Capitals right now in terms of "what have you done for me lately".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad