Rumor: Capitals had discussed a three team deal for Mantha including Montreal's Armia, also discussed Mantha with Flyers and Sharks

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
I sort of think the 2,35 mills in cap space you save for next year is a little catch there. It should be worth a pick, id figure. So the positive is dumping the negative. And Mantha is net negative but still has the highest ceiling of the mentioned dudes, he hasnt been that terrible to start the season. You might get more than you bargained for :)

Edit. That being said, i dont mind entertaining a counter offer of some of our ’not top’ prospects instead of NAK.
The Habs have what? 8 and a half million coming off the cap with no large contracts coming up to sign this year. Then there is the cap going up and Price's LTIR to consider in the equation. It's not like Molsons is hurting for cash.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
The Habs have what? 8 and a half million coming off the cap with no large contracts coming up to sign this year. Then there is the cap going up and Price's LTIR to consider in the equation. It's not like Molsons is hurting for cash.
Worst case scenario he just bumps up the price of a pint 21$

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Armia is very useful for a contending team because he's fantastic at maintaining possession and eating the clock to close out wins.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Mantha scenarios, proposals, and counters always make it seem like the best course is to ride it out and then he walks in a few months. Trading him for another bad contract, with another year on it, just seems foolish. Shrug.

It would be one thing if you gained someone of real value, or cap space, in any of these moves. But that's never the case. Plus, you're usually out a nice pick (2nd, 3rd).

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Anthony Mantha is pace for 30 goals and deserves the respect that comes with it.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I never paid attention to Mantha until the last time they played us.

Almost invisible. Almost.

About the ONLY thing going for this trade is one less year of Armia.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Mantha got hit in the side the head with a puck tonight, so he could be out for some time. I think this thread can be closed now.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Mantha got hit in the side the head with a puck tonight, so he could be out for some time. I think this thread can be closed now.
OR maybe wait until there's any news before jumping to conclusion and "closing this thread"?

I doubt that Montreal, San Jose or Philly would trade for him because they want him to help them win. So, even if he's injured for a couple of weeks, I doubt it affect his value.

Actually, it might interest some teams even more. He wouldn't take someone else spot on the roster.

In Montreal case, trading Armia 2 years contract for 1 year of an injured Mantha is a +. Ylonen replace Armia in the lineup (or Harvey-Pinard when he's ready), and Mantha can heal. When Mantha is ready, he either swap with Pezzetta/Ylonen OR Montreal can easily have an injury or 2, so he can replace those players.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
OR maybe wait until there's any news before jumping to conclusion and "closing this thread"?

I doubt that Montreal, San Jose or Philly would trade for him because they want him to help them win. So, even if he's injured for a couple of weeks, I doubt it affect his value.

Actually, it might interest some teams even more. He wouldn't take someone else spot on the roster.

In Montreal case, trading Armia 2 years contract for 1 year of an injured Mantha is a +. Ylonen replace Armia in the lineup (or Harvey-Pinard when he's ready), and Mantha can heal. When Mantha is ready, he either swap with Pezzetta/Ylonen OR Montreal can easily have an injury or 2, so he can replace those players.
Timing of this thread is really poor in general.

After this happened, Backstrom has already stepped away and with him unlikely to return, Capitals are no longer in need of cap space this season. Mantha also improved since and seem to have find a line where he fits.

The price that the Capitals were willing to pay to offload him was very low to begin with (which is why trade hasn't happened). It's propably even lower or nothing now.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
The price that the Capitals were willing to pay to offload him was very low to begin with (which is why trade hasn't happened). It's propably even lower or nothing now.
I always assumed they didn't want to attach anything to him anyway. That's why they would look at someone like Armia, so they can do a "change of scenary" kind of trade. It could be Labanc/Hoffman/Duclair from SJ or a return from Garnet Hathaway from Philly.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
The pick would be top 10 protected, of course, and Washington would also be dumping $3.6m in cap.
They've already got plenty of cap room from Backstrom being on LTIR, I think it'll be something around 6M once Edmundson and Pacioretty come off IR and their replacements are sent down. Unless they've got plans to add a huge contract for some reason they've got no pressing need to dump Mantha.

Reactions: Hivemind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad