OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Watched the first episode of Ozark and wasn't hooked. Might come back at some point but I have a bunch of other things in the queue first. Worth the watch? Maybe it was just a bad first impression. I didn't like a single character in the opening episode.

But Peaky, love that show. Season Five's ending was a total bummer though, and I wonder how they manage the real-life death of Helen McCrory... RIP Aunt Polly.
I stopped watching Ozark after season 2. Was going to watch season 3 but i haven't. Not a very pleasant show.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I definitely recommend it if you find the time, season one takes a bit to get its footing but by season 2 you will be hooked and really takes off by the 3rd season. The acting and especially Bateman are great in this show. It’s definitely a good show to watch with your significant other as well
Yep….needs a little more commitment than 1 show…the wife is hard to like at first…..kids also, but it turns nicely.

Reactions: max21

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah love me some TLK. Holding off finishing the current season since its the last (though they announced a TLK movie to finish things up). Books are great also.

Agreed about Severance its worth a watch so far so good interesting premise just a couple of episodes in. Kinda reminded me of Devs early on but its different though with less creepy vibe that devs has which is just a neutral statement.

Finished up a couple of recent SK romantic drama series but don't think anyone here is interested in those, heh.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned The Company of Witches which is on the 3rd season but it is decent (books are decent as well).

Halo eps 3 was aight. Not really familiar with the Halo genre and nothing is exactly original but the back story stuff shows some substance despite plot lines not treading new scifi ground (thats not necessarily required for me to like but when done averagely comes across as derivative.
Checked out Motherland - Fort Salem? I watched season one so far……solid combat witch stuff…

I‘m almost done with Season 3 of Snowpiercer…..…..enjoying it a lot.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Checked out Motherland - Fort Salem? I watched season one so far……solid combat witch stuff…

I‘m almost done with Season 3 of Snowpiercer…..…..enjoying it a lot.
Yeah re: Motherland just have the season finale for S1 just haven't got around to swinging back to it but yeah a lot of original cool stuff around witches and the world building just really original.

Watched S1 of Snowpiercer was decent just another genre series I just have to be in the mood for and have yet to circle back.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Watched the first episode of Ozark and wasn't hooked. Might come back at some point but I have a bunch of other things in the queue first. Worth the watch? Maybe it was just a bad first impression. I didn't like a single character in the opening episode.
I quite like Ozark. It definitely follows in the steps of Breaking Bad in the first season+, but it eventually starts veering in a different direction.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
I quite like Ozark. It definitely follows in the steps of Breaking Bad in the first season+, but it eventually starts veering in a different direction.

Ozark was good. And then the writers got lazy. The main characters make decisions that would get their head bashed in in less than a nano-second, but the only thing keep them alive is plot armor. Lazy writing, and maddening

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Anyone have any more obscure-ish TV recommendations? My friends are always pointing us towards the obvious stuff ("Have you seen Game of Thrones?? Breaking Bad FTW!!"), but there have been some really solid recs here lately. I checked out and liked both Severance and Halo, and will be giving The Last Kingdom a go soon.

The shows I've been recommending the last few years are ones I really liked and find that very few people seem to have seen: Justified, Banshee, and Kingdom.

Justified is probably the best known of the bunch, but it was never a ratings darling. It's about a US Marshal in Kentucky, his boyhood pal turned criminal, and is based on some really great Elmore Leonard stories. This is easily one of my favorite shows ever. The characters, dialogue, and performances are stellar Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins leap off the screen.

Banshee was one of the few shows that Cinemax did once upon a time. It's definitely a hard R -- the violence and sex are plentiful, but it's easily one of the best unsung crime dramas of the last couple decades. A thief gets out of prison after 15 years and goes looking for his lost love, winds up in Banshee, PA. In a pretty crazy turn of events, he assumes the identity of the town's new sheriff. Like Justified, the backdrop of the show is the main character vs the main villain, which stretches across all 4 seasons, but each season has its own overarching crime story/villain as well. Very solid cast and storytelling.

Kingdom might be the least known of these 3 shows, but maybe not on a hockey message board. It aired on The Audience Network, whatever the hell that is. So basically no one saw it. The backdrop is the world of up-and-coming MMA. Frank Grillo and his two sons (Jonathan Tucker and Nick Jonas) run an MMA gym, the sons and their friend (Matt Lauria) are fighters, and the show basically follows their lives. The work the actors put in to sell their MMA prowess is stunning. Tucker is the standout, but all three were convincing in the MMA sequences. Very good show.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That clip was great.. "you fool". Also Gilbert's real voice was calm and deeper and normal.... he played that character for every camera or mic, but it wasn't close to his real speaking voice.

RIP GG.
Would not have watched that without your comment….thx. Had me rolling by the 1908 Cubs question.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Was a huge fan of Banshee have all the seasons on bluray. Same with Justified.

As far as some quality shows that fly under the radar that people might want to check out if they have access to it. Some foreign included as well.

Top of the Lake (two seasons)
Sinner (season one specifically)
The Gift (turkish)
Warrior Nun
The Cook of Castamar (spain)
Tribes of Europa
The Rain
The Darke
Bodyguard
The Legend of El Cid
Fleabag
Patriot
Flack
Absentia
Poldark

that is part 1 list at least to start, heh.

Reactions: Jags

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Those kinds of show….for me needed some special draw because there are so many to choose from. What was the IT for Banshee? I couldn’t get hooked As a viewer.

It's hard to describe the X factor that a good show has. If you explained Breaking Bad to someone living in a bubble that knew nothing about it, the description couldn't possibly do it justice. It's a combination of a lot of things that make a show work.

The IT for Banshee? For me, I think one element was simply that it was a pay cable show. The overall maturity and level of adult themes was refreshing. I don't need crazy amounts of language/violence/sex in anything I watch, but if you're creating a world that centers around extremely violent people, characters acting the part helps.

It had a unique premise. A hardened criminal with a cowboy's moral compass assumes the identity of a town sheriff to stay close to the woman he protected by going to prison for 15 years. The town has a malevolent Amish kingpin he squares off with for 4 seasons, an uneasy relationship with its local Native population, a cadre of organized white supremacists, and the final season throws in a serial killer for good measure. And the sheriff and his closest confidantes are thieves, so the third season centers around a pretty thrilling heist.

And like I said, that description doesn't really even begin to capture what the show is actually like. Given the content warnings, it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea. But if it sounds at all appealing to you, maybe give it a shot.

Lastly, one thing I can say about Banshee, Justified, and Kingdom is that you can judge them from their pilots. If you like the first episode, you'll like the show. There's none of that "It really heats up in Season 3!" kind of thing. In each case, the pilot sets up the show nicely and while they all get progressively better, it's 100% fair to make up your mind in that first viewing.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
The Banshee S1 eps1 hook was amazing to me and probably one of the best despite the horrible CG car crash early on in in the eps. Rather not spoil the hook but it certainly hooked me.

Some amazing fight scenes that still stick with me. Banshee to me is a series even after watching it once like a fine wine will be worthy or rewatching.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Anyone have any more obscure-ish TV recommendations?

This is one of my favorite things I've watched on Netflix:

Its about a man and his dog and them just getting into random things. I thought it was very funny and endearing. The episodes are short, 20ish minutes. It might not be for everyone though.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad