Salary Cap: Cap Space: To Use or Not To Use, ...

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Gets a 1 or 2? I think things would really have to go off the rails in a big way for them to sell.

I think they will be buying, it's just a question of if it's a major purchase or something from the dollar store.
I think you misread what I wrote.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I hate the all -in for a Rental at the expense of picks concept atvtgecstartbofvthisvseason TDL ...you always over pay for marginal improvement ...which might help a team already in good playoff shape wim an extra game or two in playoffs...then the Rental is gone and your pipeline has lost assets that could help you much longer in future.

You always over pay for short'term rentals ..and rarelyvdoesbit help you go all the way to win the Cup.

But if you are dicey to make the playoffs. .getting a rental is cement more foolish ...if you miss out of playoffs,now you rental was completely for nothing ...and you are out picks which if a firstborn 2nd is too steep a price to gamble on a poir bet..just don't do i!

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Nobody short of OEL or maybe Tanev (if healthy) would have the impact necessary to take this team beyond the first round.

Stay the course.

Reactions: pvr

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I still have faith in this team. The young guys have gotten better, Toews has gotten better, and Kane is still Kane. It's an uphill battle to make the playoffs without Crow for what could be quite a few more weeks, but if they make it, they can still go all the way.

However, we shouldn't look to make any moves. If a Duke level trade (high upside for low cost) pops up, Bowman should look into it. But Our forward core, with Anisimov back, looks as deep as any in this league. Defense leaves something to be desired, but there isn't currently any defensman that is playing every night that shouldn't (except Seabs, but we should all except that he'll play damn near every game). Keith, Murphy, Forsling, Rutta, and Oesterle have all shown more than enough to give us a chance and I think we'd be hard pressed to find any defensmen for a somewhat reasonable price that would knock any of those guys out of the lineup. Goaltending, meanwhile, should be near the top of the league when Crow comes back (provided he's at or near 100%).

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Wonder if Hawks are after Hammer? I would definitely acquire him if he is somehow cheap. I don't think he is, but still. We have space for him and if we get him, make Rutta sign cheaper one year deal or let him walk.

EDIT: oh we could afford them both next season even if Rutta is like ~3mil.

Last edited:

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Wonder if Hawks are after Hammer? I would definitely acquire him if he is somehow cheap. I don't think he is, but still. We have space for him and if we get him, make Rutta sign cheaper one year deal or let him walk.

EDIT: oh we could afford them both next season even if Rutta is like ~3mil.

As much as we all love Hammer Migi I wonder if his injury issues this year in particular paint him in a less than favourable light.
Would Gudbranson be an option? He makes 3.5 and is a big bodied stay at home D and is a good locker room guy. Could be a good warrior for a PO run ..no?
The cost might be prohibitive though in that Vancouver would want a 1st rounder maybe.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
As much as we all love Hammer Migi I wonder if his injury issues this year in particular paint him in a less than favourable light.
Would Gudbranson be an option? He makes 3.5 and is a big bodied stay at home D and is a good locker room guy. Could be a good warrior for a PO run ..no?
The cost might be prohibitive though in that Vancouver would want a 1st rounder maybe.

Any idea what the injury was for Hammer?

For me if its Gudbranson vs. Hammer, definitely the latter. For me Gudbranson is not good Dman in this league, okey yes in 3rd pair role maybe. Hammer would be still good with Keith and Oesterle would be in optimal spot.

Keith - Hammer
Forsling - Murphy
Oesterle - Rutta

Man can hope..

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills

For me if its Gudbranson vs. Hammer, definitely the latter. For me Gudbranson is not good Dman in this league, okey yes in 3rd pair role maybe. Hammer would be still good with Keith and Oesterle would be in optimal spot.

Keith - Hammer
Forsling - Murphy
Oesterle - Rutta

Man can hope..
Yeah if Hammer is healthy I would take him over Gudbranson too especially given the history. Hammer has played 19 games this season and I think is still out. I just sense his long years of mileage have caught up to him.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

Keith - Hammer
Forsling - Murphy
Oesterle - Rutta

Man can hope..

How did you kill Seabs?

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Yeah if Hammer is healthy I would take him over Gudbranson too especially given the history. Hammer has played 19 games this season and I think is still out. I just sense his long years of mileage have caught up to him.

Actually he played last night and before that too. So he is back at least for now. Don't know what the injury was but I think even though his playing was a bit off and going down because of the mileage, he would be still one of the best shutdown Dmen in NHL for next 1,5 years. After that, no more. And given now we have more quality Dmen we could play him less so he would be fresh in postseason.

Idk, he was just so important to this team. But I like this group still so I would pay a lot for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad