Salary Cap: Cap Space: To Use or Not To Use, ...

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If Seabs was *the* boatanchor that was the ballast keeping the team from competing I'd agree.

It isn't. The whole core outside of Crawford has been crap more often than not.

Even in fantasyland where a guy like Seabs can be traded for no incoming cap (i.e. EA Sports games), I don't think a 6.875M player or set of players can fix Toews' aim, Keith's defenisve positioning, and Kane's leak of effort.

If the 'hawks miss the playoffs, it's not solely Seabrook's fault.

It's not. But it's hard to argue moving any other contract helps as much, as immediately, or as long-term as moving Seabrook's contract.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
If Seabs was *the* boatanchor that was the ballast keeping the team from competing I'd agree.

It isn't. The whole core outside of Crawford has been crap more often than not.

Even in fantasyland where a guy like Seabs can be traded for no incoming cap (i.e. EA Sports games), I don't think a 6.875M player or set of players can fix Toews' aim, Keith's defenisve positioning, and Kane's leak of effort.

If the 'hawks miss the playoffs, it's not solely Seabrook's fault.

i agree with this, i still blame the FO for all of this. a good gm can see where the problem is and can fix it on the fly.

i remember many, not here, but on another site, saying that ride this team until 2020. to be honest, i never fully understand the yr 2020.

next the idea of moving Seabs is practically an impossible feat. but as much as anyone is reluctant to admit that a pkg needs to thought off. a pkg of players, tier 1 or 2 type player |s| and draft pick. i will end this here, b/c i have already mention where and who i would pkg .....

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
This team will be a seller at the trade deadline ... no need to waste the cap space

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I'd go out and look for Forward help. Bottom 6 is generating nothing productiv. Add a Player like Vanek and put him next to Kane. Vanek will finish what is set up to him by Kaner.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
Living in a hypothetical world, suppose the Hawks make the playoffs AND Hossa gets medically cleared to play... would he be allowed?
Imagine having a fresh Hossa coming into the playoffs (where there is no cap hit)

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Living in a hypothetical world, suppose the Hawks make the playoffs AND Hossa gets medically cleared to play... would he be allowed?
Imagine having a fresh Hossa coming into the playoffs (where there is no cap hit)
If that happened every team in the league would be screaming the Hawks faked his condition to get cap space only to bring him back for the playoffs. They would struggle in a similar situation to ever get LTIR granted again. It would be a terrible look and I can’t see any way the Hawks would do this, zero chance.

Reactions: LDF

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Anyone with renewed optimism out there?

While I see advancement in the Hawks’ game of late, I still think they should retain assets and not be buyers. Unfortunately, I don’t see management trading Sharp, or any other elderly player. And, I’d like to see what the younger players can do without trading one away (and definitely not Cat or Schmaltz), unless the offer is extraordinary. I think it’s doubtful that the team is a real Cup contender regardless of any player moves.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
My answer is the same.

If you can swing an OEL or a Trouba (not bloody likely given Winnipeg's place in the standings and the TOI he's getting), then yes.

If not, save the assets. Any asset you move out for some marginal add is an asset that could be kept and bundled into a major package for a legitimate difference maker.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Right now, the team should stand pat. They've quietly been getting better, and hopefully Hino and Kempny will show enough to stay in the lineup and that'd help the team a bit.

Sign Sikura after his college season is over. I see him possibly being as big of a boost as Tuevo was in the last few month or so of the 14-15 season.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Right now, the team should stand pat. They've quietly been getting better, and hopefully Hino and Kempny will show enough to stay in the lineup and that'd help the team a bit.

Sign Sikura after his college season is over. I see him possibly being as big of a boost as Tuevo was in the last few month or so of the 14-15 season.
if the FO can get creative and swing a trade for a experience young d-man, then yes make that trade. but save the #1 pick.

however i think the route to go would be Sikura could be like that player who was traded for. i was for the team signing him last yr. i just don't want him to go unsigned.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
if the FO can get creative and swing a trade for a experience young d-man, then yes make that trade. but save the #1 pick.

however i think the route to go would be Sikura could be like that player who was traded for. i was for the team signing him last yr. i just don't want him to go unsigned.
I certainly expect him to sign considering his brother plays for the organization and that he could burn an ELC year only by signing with us. And if I'm not mistaken, his NHLe would be around 50pts (for a full 82 games), so he'd be a bigger addition than most of the players we could pick up through a deadline trade. Admittedly, there probably will be a few weeks of him learning this league, and it's far from a sure thing that he can step in and make a difference in the playoffs, but there's risk in any addition a team makes near the trade deadline.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Schmaltz-Anisimov-Kane
Saad-Sikura-Panik
Debrincat-Toews-Hayden
Sharp-Hinostroza-Hartman

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I certainly expect him to sign considering his brother plays for the organization and that he could burn an ELC year only by signing with us. And if I'm not mistaken, his NHLe would be around 50pts (for a full 82 games), so he'd be a bigger addition than most of the players we could pick up through a deadline trade. Admittedly, there probably will be a few weeks of him learning this league, and it's far from a sure thing that he can step in and make a difference in the playoffs, but there's risk in any addition a team makes near the trade deadline.
in total agree with all and i would like to add, his defensive assignment may not be what would be expected, but hey, this is learning stage.

another player i would like to see in chi is Matt Highmore .

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
I still think adding a "top four" defender makes this a very dangerous team. I think "Which two of Forsling/Rutta/Murphy dresses tonight" is the kind of problem you have to solve at least into the WCF.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I still think adding a "top four" defender makes this a very dangerous team. I think "Which two of Forsling/Rutta/Murphy dresses tonight" is the kind of problem you have to solve at least into the WCF.
it will be all dependent on the creative side of the trade. they will need to get some salary cap going out in order to get the trade of any viable player coming in.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

I think this team is at least a top pairing Dman away from being a legitimate threat. Keith can't carry schlubs anymore. He's getting older.

Murphy has looked good as a 2nd pair option. Forsling has at times too. Rutta and Kempny are both #5 guys, Seabrook, Oesterle and Franson can battle it out for #6. Depending on needs and ability to play each side, obviously.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think this team is at least a top pairing Dman away from being a legitimate threat. Keith can't carry schlubs anymore. He's getting older.

Murphy has looked good as a 2nd pair option. Forsling has at times too. Rutta and Kempny are both #5 guys, Seabrook, Oesterle and Franson can battle it out for #6. Depending on needs and ability to play each side, obviously.
you know the next wave of starting d-man core in the making. i would love the idea of getting a young player like Jacob Trouba who could also be a Right handed. ..... but the cap is a problem.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Schmaltz-Anisimov-Kane
Saad-Sikura-Panik
Debrincat-Toews-Hayden
Sharp-Hinostroza-Hartman

Sikura is going to play RW I think.

I would slot him playing with Saad and Toews because they need skill and speed which Sikura provides. Obviously Cat is good there now but eventually he has to play with Kane. Schmaltz can carry his own line and if Sharp is keeping his current form and Panik will find his physicality and shot, that 3rd line has "2015 potential".

Obviously a guy like Pageau there as "Krüger" would help a lot more.

Saad - Toews - Sikura
DeBrincat - Anisimov - Kane
Sharp - Schmaltz - Panik
Hartman - Wingels - Hayden

And obviously expecting this from Sikura is like as stupidest thing as there have ever been after Rundblad era, but yeah.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I stand by what I said earlier. I expect a depth type move that doesn't cost much in the way of assets. I haven't seen enough from this team at this point to think they will make a big splash but that could change.

Reactions: migi

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I stand by what I said earlier. I expect a depth type move that doesn't cost much in the way of assets. I haven't seen enough from this team at this point to think they will make a big splash but that could change.

Agree with you completely.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I wouldn't expect Sikura to slot in on the top line immediately... and hard to see Cat coming off it given they've been producing.

I want to see Debrincat with Kane, but we may have to wait till Q's back is against the wall and the team is scratching and clawing for a playoff spot in the last 10 games before we see it.

In a perfect world, Panik draws back in and finds his mojo (ie, sh%) again, then returns to 1RW, cause that line was straight up murdering teams in shot-share, they just couldn't bury enough. But it's more likely he draws back in somewhere in the bottom 6.

My hopeful but somewhat realistic projection is:

Saad-Toews-Debrincat
Schmaltz-Anisimov-Kane
Hartman-Hino-Sikura
Hayden/Sharp-Wingels-Panik

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
In the next CBA they should implement cap saving forwarding ...tjis means if a team is under the cap in any season they can use the cap savings gs for a future season ...So suppose Stan decided that using g the csp space to add for this season would not help us really contend for the Cup ..He may see tge team stronger in a year or two..Better if he coukd bank the csp savings for a big addition when we have a better team ..an addition that could realkynputvusvover the top rather than some desperate move just to secure the 2nd wildcard and a probable quick exit in the playoffs. BUT current rules do not allow teams to bank unused cao space ..Teams should be allowed to bank unused cap space and to also trade unused csp space for picks ..The next CBA should allow both these provisions to proceed.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
In the next CBA they should implement cap saving forwarding ...tjis means if a team is under the cap in any season they can use the cap savings gs for a future season ...So suppose Stan decided that using g the csp space to add for this season would not help us really contend for the Cup ..He may see tge team stronger in a year or two..Better if he coukd bank the csp savings for a big addition when we have a better team ..an addition that could realkynputvusvover the top rather than some desperate move just to secure the 2nd wildcard and a probable quick exit in the playoffs. BUT current rules do not allow teams to bank unused cao space ..Teams should be allowed to bank unused cap space and to also trade unused csp space for picks ..The next CBA should allow both these provisions to proceed.

No. That would allow teams like to cheapskate for a 5-6 year period then over spend for 1 season then go back to being cheap. I think this idea would be terrible for the league.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Will be interesting to see where the team goes from here with Duclair. Brings a few more dollars of cap space. With the current homestand, might be able to get into better playoff position.

Aside from Hinostroza, Bouma, Sharp, and perhaps Hayden,I’d rather not lose anyone or draft picks for a rental player.

Overall, I still hope Stan stands pat unless somehow he gets a number one or two without breaking the bank or losing one of the future core.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Will be interesting to see where the team goes from here with Duclair. Brings a few more dollars of cap space. With the current homestand, might be able to get into better playoff position.

Aside from Hinostroza, Bouma, Sharp, and perhaps Hayden,I’d rather not lose anyone or draft picks for a rental player.

Overall, I still hope Stan stands pat unless somehow he gets a number one or two without breaking the bank or losing one of the future core.

Gets a 1 or 2? I think things would really have to go off the rails in a big way for them to sell.

I think they will be buying, it's just a question of if it's a major purchase or something from the dollar store.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad