Salary Cap: Cap Space: To Use or Not To Use, ...

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Well, depending on what source I used, the Hawks have anywhere from $2.5m to $9.5m in potential cap space this year. From what I've seen of their play to date, my expectations for success this season are pretty low right now. Definitely miss Hossa, but how much could an aging player carry the burden anyway?

My perspective: save the cap space, and take the highest draft picks available. Heck, trade a vet or two for assets if possible. Team isn't winning the Cup this year unless something miraculous happens.

Reactions: Krivo25

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
At the moment no. The way this team looks they are more than a few pieces away from being a contender, no need to throw away picks or young assets. If it changes the next few months then maybe, but right now I can’t see it.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
If the 13.6 pct. power play don't pick up in the next few weeks and the team continues to take a free fall in the standings the Hawks may very well become sellers.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
No.

No trades.

This team isn't one piece away from a Stanley cup.

The only exception I would made is if they could somehow swing one of Tanev, Trouba or OEL, and get them resigned to a deal that fit the cap (or move a piece out to make said contract fit). Those guys wouldn't single-handedly put us over the top, but they're young enough and they'd make a significant enough impact to warrant spending the assets.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Bingo. I don't see any piece coming in that would equal what Hossa brought last season, nor do I see any incoming piece able to pull the core's heads out of their collective rectums.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I expect they will use the space in one way or another. That said, there is a different between trading a late pick or low prospect and trading a 1st or a good prospect. Currently, I would suspect they'd be in the camp of doing a small add, not a big time move. For instance last year they traded McNeil and a 4th for Oduya. A bargin shopping type deal. That obviously didn't work out, but I don't think it hurt the Hawks long term. There's a middle ground between all in and doing nothing.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
No.

No trades.

The only exception I would made is if they could somehow swing one of Tanev, Trouba or OEL, and get them resigned to a deal that fit the cap (or move a piece out to make said contract fit). Those guys wouldn't single-handedly put us over the top, but they're young enough and they'd make a significant enough impact to warrant spending the assets.

OEL would be the dream. It all depends on what the GM of AZ's plan is. Personally, I think he should sell and rebuild because they are not going to start winning with that roster. OEL and Hammer would have great returns even though both have been bad so far this year. Their rebuild looks bad so far.

The key for the Hawks will be to move Seabrook so Q can just not play him.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
No.

No trades.

There's players you know you can acquire not for 1 year. That's like thinking 2012 acquiring oduya was dumb because that team couldn't win it all from the additional adds.

They shouldn't seek some 30 year plus aged Ufa but a mis late 20s guy is still an addition that can extend if it provides the role needed.

But I think the situation where they've not uses any call ups is helping build and Hino may deserve it but the cap space grows.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
As bad as not using extra cap space would be...if the team fails to be in playoff contention by the TDL we should be a seller not a buyer ..if they are still in contention I can see our panicked top brass making another mistake and trading morevassetsv/picks to add 1 guy to give us a better chance to make it in ...I doubt we will be in playoff contention by the TDL given our putrid offense.

One thing you must remember ....we do not have 2nd and 4th rounders for the 2018 Entry Draft ..We CANNOT afford more picks being given away in some futile attempt at a marginal return on investment for a 1 year shot at a likely playoff exit anyway .

Well you day..give away 2019 orc2020 futures..that would benINSANITY. ..The 2019 2020 and 2021 drafts are supoised to be sensationally deep and of very high quality ...Pierre McGuire called them EXCEPTIONAL maybe even generational drafts ..and I heard him say that any GM giving up picks on the early rounds of these drafts is making a huge mistake that is how good those drafts will be..

It will be essential for the Hawks to get a good haul of talent from these allegedly special drafts ...building blocks for the next Gen Hawks..It may also be we trade 1 of Kane or Toews or both if they agree ,IF we decide to use these drafts as our Re-Build ..After 2017/18 and 2018/19 get us nowhere,Hawks Brass will be seriously thinking it is time for a complete blowup andvre-build .KANE abd Toews woukd be 2 years older and remember the 2019/20 season coukd be a lockout fir half a season again if tge NHLPA walks out ...a chance to get amnesty buy-out on Seabrook and to maybe move 1 or both of our $19.5s (even if we retain part of their contract cap hits) ..apt that time they might realize Hawks are going to Re-Build and would want out to go to contenders .

Not saying we will tank tge 2018/19 season ..but we might get a good midvteens puck of a very good 2019 draft ..Then go all in on the dump off ofvthe $10.5s sometime beforevthev2020 and 2021 drafts ..If that tanks us ..all the better ..face it. .our window has closed NOW ..so we gotta plan to Re-Build ..

migi

Feb 25, 2015
OEL and Trouba are the only ones whom I'd go after.

I think we should even be somehow sellers even if we are fringe playoff team. Of course things can change, but I would definitely pull the trigger if lets say Anisimov draws interest.

Lets hope Canucks goes wild and be in postseason, they could use Seabrook. ;)

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002

I think we should even be somehow sellers even if we are fringe playoff team. Of course things can change, but I would definitely pull the trigger if lets say Anisimov draws interest.

Nobody could use Seabrook ..heck?we can't use Seabrook ..who is miles or kilometers if you prefer,ahead of any other player I the NHL for the Heart Attack Liability Of The Year Award and The Sucks Badly Award ...he should win both these awards going away ..in fact we call wish he would go away..Given this obvious situation 9f Albatross,an NHL team would bevcrazyvtobtake hom at any cap cost let alone $6.8 million ..so no way you see a trade for him unless we give up our 2018 2019 2020 and 201 first rounders in the deal to remove him. IT will not happen..but hopefully there will be another lock -out before the 2019 /20 season begins ...followed by a new CBA and some Amnesty Buy-out. ..When that happens Rocky will be running to the bank to pay put 2/3 of tge $34 million remaining owed to Seabrook but amortized over 10 years (2 x5 years remaining) ..And so he gone THEN .. Rocky pays off over 10 more years but it is in Amnesty sp not counting on our cap.We will be free of the albatross burden ...then..Till then we gotta put up with a lotbofvtruth suffering watching woefully incompetent play frpm hom..Not his fault..he just aged real fast. .cannot move anymore...cannot play the game anymore.Sad ..but the eyeballs do not lie. SO no team is going to trade for him ..We just have to wait till our Amnesty Buy-out chance.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Unless the team has suddenly lost its collective talent the issue of lethargic play lies with coaching. There is no hunger on this team. At times it looks like they are skating in mud.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
OEL would be the dream. It all depends on what the GM of AZ's plan is. Personally, I think he should sell and rebuild because they are not going to start winning with that roster. OEL and Hammer would have great returns even though both have been bad so far this year. Their rebuild looks bad so far.

The key for the Hawks will be to move Seabrook so Q can just not play him.

I posted this in the OEL thread in the trades/rumors forum:

OEL
Hjalmarsson

Seabrook
DeBrincat
Hartman
Forsling

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015

Seabs is not going anywhere. Contract runs til 2024 was it? LOL. Only way the Bhawks dump him is to retain a bad contract of their own
I posted this in the OEL thread in the trades/rumors forum:

OEL
Hjalmarsson

Seabrook
DeBrincat
Hartman
Forsling

add Ruuta, Forsberg (Arizona needs a goalie) and a 1st round pick and the Yotes may listen

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Two of those years are disastrous.
it is this reason why i would work and pkg Seabs plus a pick and draft pick for first trade Seabs and his contract. they look at the team and see what can be done to improve it. i like the D-Trouba and rebuild the defense this way. the offense should be ok with maybe 1 exception. this team still can make the playoff and maybe as a a later slot.

this team was mismanaged and needs fixing.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You should always use the cap space if you can improve the team, and I agree with that if it makes our team better in the long run, not a short term fix.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
https://capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/brent-seabrook

That Seabrook buy-out aint that bad. Lets do it shall we!
Do you really want Seabrook's dead cap on the books until 2030?

If anything, the 'hawks should bide their time--the opt-out for the CBA is in 2019. Dollars to donuts one of the things that will come with that is an other round of compliance buyouts. If that happens that's the out for Seabrook.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Do you really want Seabrook's dead cap on the books until 2030?

If anything, the 'hawks should bide their time--the opt-out for the CBA is in 2019. Dollars to donuts one of the things that will come with that is an other round of compliance buyouts. If that happens that's the out for Seabrook.
the idea of having Seabs and as you said his dead cap is one thing, for me, that is not worth loosing this yr and screwing up their playoff chances. i would have rather the team fixed the cap last off-season. but now it is too late for that. i would use this yr to fix the cap and roll the dice in the playoff.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
the idea of having Seabs and as you said his dead cap is one thing, for me, that is not worth loosing this yr and screwing up their playoff chances. i would have rather the team fixed the cap last off-season. but now it is too late for that. i would use this yr to fix the cap and roll the dice in the playoff.

If Seabs was *the* boatanchor that was the ballast keeping the team from competing I'd agree.

It isn't. The whole core outside of Crawford has been crap more often than not.

Even in fantasyland where a guy like Seabs can be traded for no incoming cap (i.e. EA Sports games), I don't think a 6.875M player or set of players can fix Toews' aim, Keith's defenisve positioning, and Kane's leak of effort.

If the 'hawks miss the playoffs, it's not solely Seabrook's fault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad