Salary Cap: Cap Crunch Part 5: The Daley Show with Stan Bowman

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Hope we have someone else lined up, because this defense as constructed won't work.

Agreed, I feel that Daley needs to be on the bottom pair and sheltered with offensive zone starts (aka Q's 2013-14 D usage) and that we need a guy who can hold his own in his own zone to pair with Hammer. All the better if he has above average skating ability like Oduya. At this point on the UFA market that list probably begins and ends at Ehrhoff. Failing that, I'd prefer a defense oriented partner for Hammer. Pickings are slim and most are (way) over the hill, but Zidlicky would be a strong second on my list. After that, you start looking at guys that are really shells of their former self, like Volchenkov and Visnovsky.

The other route could be an overpaid for overpaid "hockey" trade involving Bickell.

Schlemko could be the rare still available young UFA option who had great possession numbers the last two years, but isn't a guy you'd want on the shutdown pairing.

Last edited:

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I didn't like the way Leddy was handled last summer.

I don't really like signing Anisimov to a nice extension before he's played even one second in this organization.

The Sharp trade is still bad.

I don't like the way Oduya was handled this summer.

I have several issues with the way the front office has handled things recently. But it's hard to criticize them too much for their overall performance when they're about to put that third Cup banner in the rafters.

Last edited:

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
I didn't like the way Leddy was handled last summer.

The Sharp trade is still bad.

I don't like the way Oduya was handled this summer.

I have several issues with the way the front office has handled things recently. But it's hard to criticize them too much for their overall performance when they're about to put that third Cup banner in the rafters.

Can I ask why? Without knowing what specifically was said, and we don't, what problem do you have with how they handled it?

dbridge

Bluth Lockout 2015
Nov 28, 2010
Chicago
You don't have to like every move and you can be skeptical, but I don't get how you can write off the Sharp trade as an unmitigated disaster and the worst of Bowman's career when Daley and Garbutt have yet to play a game for the Hawks and Johns has yet to play a game in the NHL.

I feel like I'm alone here, but I'm looking forward to seeing Daley next season. He's usually pretty good, and in a year where his defense suffered his offense took off. From what I've seen, he clearly still has good athleticism so I don't think one year on a team with bad defense and bad goaltending where his advanced stats took a hit is enough to write him off.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Oduya and his agent aren't dumb. Bowman likely said they would like to have him back but it would depend on how much salary could be moved as to if it was possible. Oduya could have signed elsewhere at any time but wanted to wait it out and see if he could stay. It was Oduya's choice to wait. I understand people not liking the Sharp trade but don't see what Bowman did wrong with Oduya. It was JO's choice to wait it out, it ended up being difficult to impossible to unload the salary necessary to keep him.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
You don't have to like every move and you can be skeptical, but I don't get how you can write off the Sharp trade as an unmitigated disaster and the worst of Bowman's career when Daley and Garbutt have yet to play a game for the Hawks and Johns has yet to play a game in the NHL.

Well said. This thing still has to play out before its a lost trade let alone a disaster.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Can I ask why? Without knowing what specifically was said, and we don't, what problem do you have with how they handled it?

It's fair to say that we don't know precisely what was said, and that Oduya's a big boy who can make up his own mind.

But it's not like we've never seen this front office jerk players around before. I don't see why they'd deserve the benefit of the doubt here.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
It's fair to say that we don't know precisely what was said, and that Oduya's a big boy who can make up his own mind.

But it's not like we've never seen this front office jerk players around before. I don't see why they'd deserve the benefit of the doubt here.

Who have they jerked around?

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Meehan is Oduya's agent. He/newport has been working with Bowman every year in one capacity or another.

Richards doesn't likely sign (Meehan client) if Chicago dumped on all its players so I'm skeptical any of the communication/treatment problems between Oduya and Chicago.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
It's very well possible that Oduya's agent has been floating the idea of returning to Hawks on a below market deal as leverage in the open market to get Oduya a suitable contract. Everything that is said in public / floated out needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

scarchelli

Aug 19, 2014
Trade versteeg or shaw if you have to (or bickell unlikely) and sign krugs and a cheap vet d and the roster is set. I can live without sharp, saad and the free agents who left as long as krugs is back and a decent 4th dman for oduya is there.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Bowman's biggest mistake (or miscalculation) this offseason is he probably thought it would be much easier to unload the bigger contracts he wanted to move and Saad would have accepted a bridge contract. Didn't turn out how he envisioned. He ended up making some not so appealing moves, we couldn't clear enough cap space, now Oduya is gone as well and we have to make the best of it. Maybe the new guys inject new blood and enthusiasm into what ends up being a yearly grind just to keep motivated before the playoffs start. We may not be contenders this year but I can live with it if we aren't. And who knows, maybe we will be better than anticipated.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
What u guys ever saw him play. He has been solid all career. U say the pts/60 some posted. He is kopitar good that way. So I don't get the mystery and the fussing. He is better than Richards. When he rocks I better see all these dressing frowns turn upside down and say wow great he got ahead of that one. As would be low 5,s if we signed him now. The least of our issues is 2c

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
If anyone has ESPN insider there is an intersting article saying how the Hawks actually got "better" with everything that has happened. Its uses a lot of numbers showing how. I don't agree with it at all but it is interesting reading.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
The Hawks have scouted AA pretty extensively for several years now. They know what he can bring to the table. I'm all for a Vermette type player with higher offensive upside.

And it's been said, but they wouldn't have extended Anisimov if they didn't have a solid basis for thinking that he would mesh well with this group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad