Salary Cap: Cap Crunch Part 5: The Daley Show with Stan Bowman

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
We'll just have to wait and see. I don't think Stan would extend AA if he didn't have good reason to think he would fit.

If Kane can drag Handzus around for a couple years, I'm sure AA will be fine.

That doesn't mean he was worthy of a long term extension before ever playing a game for the team.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
The one thing that Anisimov cant hold a candle to against Vermette is at the dot. AA is mediocre at faceoffs.

The big worry about AA isn't his skill level, it's how his body will hold up. He's suffered from more concussions than most in the league, and while I haven't kept a close eye on him over the years, BJ and NYR fans have commented before about how he's injury prone.

Time will tell if he'll have a better track record for us.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
The one thing that Anisimov cant hold a candle to against Vermette is at the dot. AA is mediocre at faceoffs.

The big worry about AA isn't his skill level, it's how his body will hold up. He's suffered from more concussions than most in the league, and while I haven't kept a close eye on him over the years, BJ and NYR fans have commented before about how he's injury prone.

Time will tell if he'll have a better track record for us.

Hopefully the new system, which caters better to his style of play than Tortorella or CBJ, helps him play more comfortably. The less stress he's under to conform to a foreign style, the less chance he gets injured.

fatbeard

Jul 3, 2015
That doesn't mean he was worthy of a long term extension before ever playing a game for the team.

No, far better to let him play out the year unsecured and racking up big points next to Kane, that way the Hawks can lose him to a huge UFA contract for nothing in return so that we can watch another in the series of stand-in stiffs in their mid-30's slow Kane down for the remainder of his prime years :shakehead

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
No, far better to let him play out the year unsecured and racking up big points next to Kane, that way the Hawks can lose him to a huge UFA contract for nothing in return so that we can watch another in the series of stand-in stiffs in their mid-30's slow Kane down for the remainder of his prime years :shakehead

Or maybe he ends up under performing.

Of course we should just assume he's going to light it up. :shakehead

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Preemptively overpay when you don't know what you're getting. What a philosophy :facepalm:

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I liked acquiring him to a degree (at least Stan is taking a shot at a long-term fix to a hole the team has had for years), but the rush to extend an oft-injured 27 year old center to a 5 year deal with a not insignificant cap hit was nothing short of perplexing.

One more concussion and this guy's brain may turn into mush.

BlackhawksFan615

Jul 5, 2015
So, I'm confused as to what we will do to fill the veteran void on the third defensive pairing. Word is out of Edmonton that they have just about given up on the Justin Schultz experiment. Anybody think Stan may want to look into a trade? Perhaps the Oilers can retain salary. I'd be willing to give Versteeg, Shaw and Svedberg. Any thoughts?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I liked acquiring him to a degree (at least Stan is taking a shot at a long-term fix to a hole the team has had for years), but the rush to extend an oft-injured 27 year old center to a 5 year deal with a not insignificant cap hit was nothing short of perplexing.

And if that happens he goes on LTIR

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC

I'm generally one of the most optimistic people around here, but even I'm having a hard time swallowing the idea that we should just assume Anisimov is going to light it up here and then be worth oh so much more next summer.

Sure, it could happen, but it really doesn't seem like the probability of it was so high that obviously Stan should've locked Anisimov up for as long as possible within a week of acquiring the guy.

I have a similar issue with pretending Daley is totes going to be the next Oduya. Sure, he could perfectly slide into Oduya's role, but it seems silly to pretend the probability of that is so high that we should all be okay with him taking that spot right now. Ask again in February or June and we can talk. But until then, it's pretty reasonable to consider Daley to be garbage.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
So, I'm confused as to what we will do to fill the veteran void on the third defensive pairing. Word is out of Edmonton that they have just about given up on the Justin Schultz experiment. Anybody think Stan may want to look into a trade? Perhaps the Oilers can retain salary. I'd be willing to give Versteeg, Shaw and Svedberg. Any thoughts?

Schultz is an RFA, so it would be hard for the Oilers to retain any salary unless they settle on a new contract. And we don't even know how much of an annual cap hit that new contract could be for.

So unless we can somehow get him for under 2.5m a year, I can't say I'm all that interested in acquiring him.

BlackhawksFan615

Jul 5, 2015
Schultz is an RFA, so it would be hard for the Oilers to retain any salary unless they settle on a new contract. And we don't even know how much of an annual cap hit that new contract could be for.

So unless we can somehow get him for under 2.5m a year, I can't say I'm all that interested in acquiring him.

I thought he was RFA after this season. I can see plenty of teams overpaying for him. I really think Daley will be a liability on defense. I'm also not convinced about TVR. Don't get me started on Rundblad.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Prospects and Leddy last summer, but yeah, I'd rather not go through yet another argument about it.

Long and short of it is that unless more comes out about the whole thing, I don't feel the front office deserves the benefit of the doubt about jerking Oduya around.

How'd they jerk leddy around?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I'm generally one of the most optimistic people around here, but even I'm having a hard time swallowing the idea that we should just assume Anisimov is going to light it up here and then be worth oh so much more next summer.

This is the same mindset that thought moving Sharp and Bickell would be easy and teams would pay up big time.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I thought he was RFA after this season. I can see plenty of teams overpaying for him. I really think Daley will be a liability on defense. I'm also not convinced about TVR. Don't get me started on Rundblad.

Daley will be fine defensively. Prior to the 14-15 season, he was pretty good defensively playing for a team that preaches offense. He probably won't be as defensively sound as Oduya, but he is a bit younger and faster than JO. Also has better offensive talent.

TVR is a solid, safe 3rd pairing Dman. This team has been spoiled in years past due to having a player like Leddy as a #5 dman, but having a player with that much talent in that position is an anomaly in this league. TVR, if healthy, will do a decent job for the role he will be expected to fill.

Rundblad, who the **** knows. Maybe he'll get jealous of TVR getting so many minutes, and he'll try to simplify his game a bit. Not saying that will happen, most likely wont, but again, who knows.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
How'd they jerk leddy around?

The way I saw it at the time, they knew they were trying to trade Leddy long before they actually pulled the trigger, yet they kept floating the Oduya trade rumor all summer. They kept Leddy in the dark the whole time.

I might have that wrong, and would be happy to be proven so. Like I might've had unrealistic expectations or missed a rumor or two, but that's the way I remember seeing the whole thing at the time.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
There was no doubt Leddy was going to be moved. He was due a big contract couldn't break the 2nd pair and they knew they would have a bigger problem this summer if they signed him

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The way I saw it at the time, they knew they were trying to trade Leddy long before they actually pulled the trigger, yet they kept floating the Oduya trade rumor all summer. They kept Leddy in the dark the whole time.

I might have that wrong, and would be happy to be proven so. Like I might've had unrealistic expectations or missed a rumor or two, but that's the way I remember seeing the whole thing at the time.

That's a huge assumption by you. You have no idea what leddy or his agent were told. The consensus around here was leddy was on his way out. Surely the principals involved are as smart as random posters on a message board.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
Preemptively overpay when you don't know what you're getting. What a philosophy :facepalm:

Uh that's what an investment is, and that's what players are to GMs. They're investments. Do they all pan out? Of course not but I don't think what he said is ridiculous at all. I remember reading a while back that Stan (and likely Scotty) were high on AA and wanted him but couldn't get it done. If they're so confident in the guy that they gave him this kind of contract then I'll gladly give them the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

Anisimov has more than 400 NHL games under his belt.

Signing Darling for an extra 2 years after all of 7 NHL games seems like a bigger leap of faith in terms of knowing a player in the NHL game.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

Then he goes to LTIR and the prospects can show us that they're not really good yet. They have cost controlled centers in the system. If he's regularly injured, they can plug the cap at the position after this season.

This is the deepest they've been at the position going into a season. If there's a spot where they can take a cap risk (besides top pair, top line, starting goalie) it's up the middle for a change.

It's not ideal, it's risky, but I think the risk is more manageable than say if Daley had 6 years on his deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad