Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Skille

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
There is a difference between intensity and effort. They are not mutually exclusive. Gaunce is a hard worker. Always has been. Intensity is a different animal. I still see Gaunce as an NHL centre. He just needs an opportunity to establish himself.

I agree. I think he shows these stints, and this year has been by far the best of them...where you can easily see him as a contributing NHL center. Not just a passenger who fills some 4th line minutes...but a guy who can actually make some real difference.

But i think that's probably where Gaunce has always fallen short. Not recognizing that in what NHL coaches want, intensity and effort are closely linked. They are different things...but what's required of him to make a real impact, is both components.

If he's going to be an impactful NHLer, he's going to have to go hard "effort" wise like he has through the preseason, and he's going to have to do it all year 'round. And he's also going to have to exhibit that same sort of intensity in terms of attacking the puck, engaging the opposition, going to the net hard...being involved even when the puck isn't on his stick for shifts at a time. He's not going to get away with being a wallflower at the NHL level.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
But i think that's probably where Gaunce has always fallen short. Not recognizing that in what NHL coaches want, intensity and effort are closely linked. They are different things...but what's required of him to make a real impact, is both components.

If he's going to be an impactful NHLer, he's going to have to go hard "effort" wise like he has through the preseason, and he's going to have to do it all year 'round. And he's also going to have to exhibit that same sort of intensity in terms of attacking the puck, engaging the opposition, going to the net hard...being involved even when the puck isn't on his stick for shifts at a time. He's not going to get away with being a wallflower at the NHL level.

I think Gaunce is a victim of stereotype. Gaunce is now seen as a bottom 6 player so in that capacity and not being the "skilled type" he's expected to play with intensity. The same isn't expected of Horvat. But most players have to learn how to be effective in the NHL. People think Gaunce has low offensive upside and forget that Gaunce was a star player from midget on and was highly regarded during his draft year. As a draft eligible prospect, he was strong, worked hard, and played a 200 foot game. His scouting report was basically Horvat like. In reality, Gaunce isn't as skilled as Horvat. Because Gaunce was so big and strong, he easily won the board battles. He didn't need to forecheck hard. He works hard and was great positionally so he was good defensively. But since he's not seen as a point producer in the NHL, coaches expect more.

Personally, I think Gaunce is fine the way he is. He's big, strong, and defensively responsible. So he's going to be decent defensively and he's always been good at faceoffs. Of course, if he wants to be an above average NHLer he needs to play with more intensity, which is what the Canucks have been trying to get him to do.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Back on topic, I am a bit undecided in regards to Skille. I think Skille is a good 4th line option on any team. I think Ruutu has greater upside but he's older. Regardless these PTO guys will take a roster spot away from Etem/Gaunce/Virtanen. I want Virtanen on the Canucks, Gaunce a chance with the Canucks, and I am still hoping that Etem will find his game and blossom. But I suppose that Virtanen could benefit from playing in Utica, Gaunce can be sent down for more seasoning, and if Etem isn't going to blossom he's not as good as Skille as a 4th line option.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think Gaunce is a victim of stereotype. Gaunce is now seen as a bottom 6 player so in that capacity and not being the "skilled type" he's expected to play with intensity. The same isn't expected of Horvat. But most players have to learn how to be effective in the NHL. People think Gaunce has low offensive upside and forget that Gaunce was a star player from midget on and was highly regarded during his draft year. As a draft eligible prospect, he was strong, worked hard, and played a 200 foot game. His scouting report was basically Horvat like. In reality, Gaunce isn't as skilled as Horvat. Because Gaunce was so big and strong, he easily won the board battles. He didn't need to forecheck hard. He works hard and was great positionally so he was good defensively. But since he's not seen as a point producer in the NHL, coaches expect more.

Personally, I think Gaunce is fine the way he is. He's big, strong, and defensively responsible. So he's going to be decent defensively and he's always been good at faceoffs. Of course, if he wants to be an above average NHLer he needs to play with more intensity, which is what the Canucks have been trying to get him to do.

I've said it before, but i think Gaunce as he was is "fine" in terms of being able to tread water as a replacement level sort of 4th line forward who you can probably nab out of the UFA market (like hey, Jack Skille who is on a PTO can do that).

I'm hard on Gaunce because when he plays like he played the first couple preseason games here this season...he shows potential to be a lot more than just a 4th line filler guy. That's the Gaunce i want to see. And i think that's the Gaunce NHL coaches are after as well...

There was a particular play in the preseason that just completely stood out to me...where the puck went behind the opposing team's net. Gaunce didn't just loiter around waiting to dissect the breakout...he attacked the player behind the net and actually used his reach and bodied the guy out to steal the puck and quickly turn it around into a centering pass out front for a prime scoring opportunity.

That is the Gaunce that deserves to be on this team. A Gaunce who isn't just waiting for the game to come to him...because he may have been a top dog through lower levels, but he's just not anymore. He needs to be a hungry dog now. A scrappy dog.

The reality is...when a guy like Gaunce is trying to crack the NHL, it's as a bottom-6er. And with that, comes the need to make an impact in more limited minutes. That means...no more just loitering around waiting for the game to come to him. There are no minutes to waste when they're so few to begin with. That means, going after it hard and using all of that big frame and reach and hockey smarts, and the seeming newly acquired half decent skating ability. Using it to make things happen...rather than waiting for things to happen around him.

I don't think Horvat has ever really had a similar issue with intensity and engagement other than early NHL struggles where he seemed all out insecure in what he was doing.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Skille and Ruutu have played well enough to earn a contract. If the Canucks don't sign them, I hope someone does.

• Burrows and Dorset are not going anywhere at this point, and I doubt Burrows gets the Higgins / Prust treatment this year.
  • Etem hasn't shown enough. I don't regret the trade as Jensen is not all that. I had hopes Etem would be a reclamation project, and maybe Travis Green can help restore his offensive game. But he hasn't shown enough.
  • Gauce is on my team. He showed up in terrific shape. You can see a marked improvement in how active he is on the ice. It also helps that he can play C or LW as it gives WD a lot of line up flexibility (more ways to use Dorsett). I like him as our opening day 4C. Granlund can play LW on the Sutter line.
  • Skille and Ruutu have both looked good - as veterans should with their careers on the line in pre-season. Prust looked good in camp last year too. I'd be hard pressed to distinguish between their performances so far. Ruutu has a long history of injuries and is older, but he can also play C and might have better hands. Skille is younger so probably has a better chance of being able to maintain his pace through the season.
  • Virtanen looked decent in the San Jose game and looked pretty good vs CGY. Based just on what has been shown on the ice, Ruutu and Skille should be ahead of him, but he has such a great skillset that I think the Canucks would rather develop him in the NHL and he should make the team ahead of the PTO veterans. The (hopefully) minor flare up of Rodin's knee injury gives Virtanen a big break.
My forward lines (assuming Rodin is out for the start) would be:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Granlund Sutter Virtanen - 2nd line / 3rd line / whatever
Baertschi Horvat Hansen
Burrows Gaunce Dorsett
Skille

When Rodin comes back they can make a decision on Virtanen or cut Skille loose. It wouldn't bother me if they chose Ruutu over Skille either. Some people have Hansen on the Sutter line and Virtanen on the Horvat line. I would rather Virtanen play with Sutter for now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Skille and Ruutu have played well enough to earn a contract. If the Canucks don't sign them, I hope someone does.

• Burrows and Dorset are not going anywhere at this point, and I doubt Burrows gets the Higgins / Prust treatment this year.
  • Etem hasn't shown enough. I don't regret the trade as Jensen is not all that. I had hopes Etem would be a reclamation project, and maybe Travis Green can help restore his offensive game. But he hasn't shown enough.
  • Gauce is on my team. He showed up in terrific shape. You can see a marked improvement in how active he is on the ice. It also helps that he can play C or LW as it gives WD a lot of line up flexibility (more ways to use Dorsett). I like him as our opening day 4C. Granlund can play LW on the Sutter line.
  • Skille and Ruutu have both looked good - as veterans should with their careers on the line in pre-season. Prust looked good in camp last year too. I'd be hard pressed to distinguish between their performances so far. Ruutu has a long history of injuries and is older, but he can also play C and might have better hands. Skille is younger so probably has a better chance of being able to maintain his pace through the season.
  • Virtanen looked decent in the San Jose game and looked pretty good vs CGY. Based just on what has been shown on the ice, Ruutu and Skille should be ahead of him, but he has such a great skillset that I think the Canucks would rather develop him in the NHL and he should make the team ahead of the PTO veterans. The (hopefully) minor flare up of Rodin's knee injury gives Virtanen a big break.

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Baertschi Horvat Hansen
Burrows Gaunce Dorsett
Skille

When Rodin comes back they can make a decision on Virtanen or cut Skille loose. It wouldn't bother me if they chose Ruutu over Skille either. Some people have Hansen on the Sutter line and Virtanen on the Horvat line. I would rather Virtanen play with Sutter for now.

Etem-Jensen trade was a worthwhile gamble for both teams, even it doesn't look like it'll work out....but why did Jimbo have to throw a sixth-rounder into the mix?....the same with the Kassian deal to Montreal for half a season of Brandon Prust....why did he have to cough up a fifth rounder in that deal?....for a guy who says he 'hates' trading draft picks, he sure dumps a lot of them in 'nothing' deals.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Ruutu I'm meh on. Skille should be a Canuck this year in my opinion.

Ruutu and Skille should both be Canucks and send Virtanen to the minors he needs to get his legs going he looks awful out there.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Skille should get a contract, so long as Virtanen is sent down and Etem is waived and sent down. If either of those guys stay, there's no room for another guy on the roster.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I disagree on Gaunce. Even a pure skill guy like Baertschi needed to amp up his intensity and battle level to become effective at the NHL level. I understand what Gaunce's inclination is to play like, but I don't think it flies at the NHL level, even if he ultimately doesn't hurt you.

I think he needs to make the same transition that Granlund appears to be making right now. Last season, he was a guy who didn't doing anything spectacularly, but was smart, well-positioned, and never hurt you, while playing an extremely passive game. He needed to learn to become effective, not just adequate, and when he did, what do you know? That hockey sense is still every bit as effective when you use it to initiate rather than react. Gaunce needs to have the same lightbulb switch come on consistently to stay in the NHL.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Baertschi Horvat Hansen
Burrows Gaunce Dorsett
Skille

I can handle this.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I disagree on Gaunce. Even a pure skill guy like Baertschi needed to amp up his intensity and battle level to become effective at the NHL level. I understand what Gaunce's inclination is to play like, but I don't think it flies at the NHL level, even if he ultimately doesn't hurt you.

You're free to disagree. I think the intensity level Gaunce plays at is good enough for him to play in the NHL. You don't. That's fine. It's ultimately on Gaunce to figure out what he needs to do to play in the NHL and be successful at it.

I do, however, think your Baertschi comparison is a poor one. What does "even a pure skill guy like Baertschi needed to amp up his intensity and battle level to become effective at the NHL level" have to do with Gaunce? When you're "a pure skill guy like Baertschi" you have to be good enough defensively and produce offensively. His biggest problem was that he wasn't producing offensively and in order for him to produce offensively he needed to ramp up his intensity, win puck battles, and get to scoring areas because he doesn't have Sidney Crosby strength. Not every skilled forward can play like the Sedins where they just casually (but accurately) dump the puck in, glide towards the puck, and come up with the puck along the boards. With Gaunce it's different. He's big, strong, and rangey who does work hard on the ice and plays a 200 foot game. This isn't some lazy passive player. I think getting him to improve his intensity and compete level is a way for him to keep his feet moving so he can play at NHL speed and not to get him to say be a Brandon Prust in his prime.

I think he needs to make the same transition that Granlund appears to be making right now. Last season, he was a guy who didn't doing anything spectacularly, but was smart, well-positioned, and never hurt you, while playing an extremely passive game. He needed to learn to become effective, not just adequate, and when he did, what do you know? That hockey sense is still every bit as effective when you use it to initiate rather than react. Gaunce needs to have the same lightbulb switch come on consistently to stay in the NHL.

While Granlund is a more fitting comparison (given Granlund is good defensively), again, you're comparing essentially a small, skilled player who has trouble winning puck battles and isn't good at faceoffs to Gaunce who is big and strong, capable of winning the majority of his puck battles, and has good faceoff ability. What is required for Baertschi and Granlund to be effective NHL players is different from Gaunce. But for sure, I hope Gaunce realizes how much more effective he can be if he keeps his intensity and compete level high.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Some games in the preseason, he has shown sufficient intensity. Some games not. His consistency is something he needs to work on if he wants to stick in the NHL. When he doesn't show it and plays passively, it hurts him too much defensively and offensively (regardless of his size and knack for winning puck battles when he finds himself in one) to justify keeping him up. He needs to reach a baseline level of intensity like Baertschi and Granlund has in order to put himself in the position to become engaged in those puck battles rather than always being a step too late.

The difference between Baertschi being able to get there but unable to physically compete and Gaunce being able to physically compete but being unable to get there is the same practical difference, IMO. Both had solid defensive positioning when they didn't show that intensity, even at the NHL level. It's not really enough.

If Gaunce were an incredibly fast player, in addition to being strong, perhaps he could get away with playing passive hockey and simply staying in position and reacting to things as they happen, but he doesn't have that luxury. The game moves too quickly at the NHL level for that to be viable, IMO.

Last edited:

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Was impressed during pre-season, the guy has hustle. Him and Gaunce make a really great hardworking duo, hope to see them work together on the fourth line at some point (though Skille is probably the 13th forward)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looks like Skille in and Etem out via the waiver route....good for Skille...he's earned it...but let's be honest.... if you based it strictly on 'merit' in the pre-season, the guys on waivers would be Dorsett and Burrows....but with those contracts, you could hardly bury them in the minors...too bad about Rodin....was really looking forward to seeing how he'd do....but looks to start the season on the LTIR.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He looked very effective in pre-season and was creating tons of chances, has good speed and size. I think he had the most break-aways for Canucks.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i'm hoping like hell he'll be like manny malhotra the year he saved his career on the sharks (and then came to us and was awesome).

but matt pettinger, todd warriner, drake berehowsky, nolan baumgartner, brandon convery, josh green, fedor fedorov... that sounds more like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad