Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Skille

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I've liked Skille's game so far in the exhibition schedule....speed is noticeable, and plays a heavy game....he'd be a good guy to sign to a one-way NHL contract and then stuff in Utica as insurance...frankly he brings more to the table than either Burrows or Etem right now.

Or Dorsett for that matter. I like the way he played, a heavy game and skill. Wouldn't surprise me to see him in a Canuck uniform this season.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I've liked Skille's game so far in the exhibition schedule....speed is noticeable, and plays a heavy game....he'd be a good guy to sign to a one-way NHL contract and then stuff in Utica as insurance...frankly he brings more to the table than either Burrows or Etem right now.

The fact he's looked as good as, or better than Burrows so far is a bit of potential minefield.

Unfortunately, there's not really anything to be done about Burrows right now and he's valuable as a leader which helps his care a ton in keeping him around anyway. But in terms of play...Skille has played a similar sort of game, but with a lot more speed, size, and also been generally reliable defensively.

If it comes down to Skille clearly besting Etem...so be it really. Etem can be buried easily enough with no cap impact and little real impact to team morale.

Hopefully it's just a case of Burrows coming in slower and with his job effectively secure...vs Skille who is playing for a meal ticket right now at peak intensity to try to stand out. :dunno:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Skille is a decent 4th line option but he's obviously nothing special. I like him, but at the end of the day, I probably would rather give the job to a younger guy with higher upside.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Hard to compare players in preseason. Prospects are playing to get noticed. PTOs are playing for their hockey life. Returning players are playing not to get hurt.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I don't see any reason not to start Etem in utica. He should excel there and then come up when someone inevitably gets injured.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Yeah Skille does bring in a heavy game and gets his chances out there too.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Rodin - Sutter - Hansen
Dorsett - Skille/Granlund - Burrows

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Or Dorsett for that matter. I like the way he played, a heavy game and skill. Wouldn't surprise me to see him in a Canuck uniform this season.

Forgot about Dorsett...yes, so far you'd have to say that Skille has been far better than the trio of Burrows, Etem and Dorsett....but unfortunately that's not likely to make much difference, as all three guys have NHL contracts....I'm a little worried about Burrows though...sure he's a fan favorite and a leader in the room.. but I'd hate to see him finish his career in Vancouver as an 6-8 minute a night guy or a healthy scratch on some other nights...but he's behind so many others right now...even guys like Rendulic and Gaunce have been far better.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
If it comes down to Skille clearly besting Etem...so be it really. Etem can be buried easily enough with no cap impact and little real impact to team morale.

willie would be sad and him constantly playing promise ring in the locker room would eventually make everyone else emo too

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Not seeing what others are with Skille. He's been no better than your typical fourth line fodder, which we already have plenty of.

I don't think anyone is seeing anything more than that?

But a quality 4th liner is still a quality 4th liner, and worth having on a team.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Etem will never clear waivers, but I would still waive him to clear the contract off the books.
We didn't really pay that much for him (Jensen + 6th round pick), so, Jim, swallow your pride and waive him.
He has looked like crap as a Canuck and doesn't seem motivated to improve the holes in his game. I would much rather have Gaunce, or even Skille, on the 4th line.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Etem would clear easily. There will be better players than him clear before the season starts.

IF Skille earns his spot that is. If not it's a cows opinion...
Losing g Etem on waivers isn't a big loss anyhow.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Burrows hasn't began to even ramp up his play.

Trying to go wysiwyg with 10 yr vets in the first couple preseason games has never been a fruitful endeavour.

Burrows should be an important defensive utility guy this yr.

But only valuable if we're in playoff position...otherwise move him if we are outta it..

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I think we'll need to sneak him through waivers. Not sure if he'll clear

He needs to clear for sure, but really, what is lost if someone does put in a claim?

He's always going to be an up and down bounce around guy the way he plays, the pattern started to emerge last year.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
car_photo_267108.jpg

Sign this guy already

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
We think he will make the team??

I could see them doing this..

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Hansen - Sutter - Rodin
Burrows - Granlund - Dorsett
Skille
*injury call up Gaunce

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Sbisa - Tryamkin
Larsen
*Injury call up Stecher

Miller
Markstrom

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
We think he will make the team??

I could see them doing this..

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Hansen - Sutter - Rodin
Burrows - Granlund - Dorsett
Skille
*injury call up Gaunce

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson
Sbisa - Tryamkin
Larsen
*Injury call up Stecher

Miller
Markstrom

I wouldn't send Gaunce down. He's looked really good in the exhibition season and is more than ready for his shot. It also doesn't hurt that he is a C, which frees Granlund up to play LW and he can play a heavy game if needed.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I wouldn't send Gaunce down. He's looked really good in the exhibition season and is more than ready for his shot. It also doesn't hurt that he is a C, which frees Granlund up to play LW and he can play a heavy game if needed.

The thing with Gaunce is that long-term consistency of effort and intensity is still the biggest questionmark. He's looked good in camp though.

The other factor is that if we're really going 13F/8D to start the season...that 13th forward is going to get some significant games in, early at least. And even the "first callup" forward in the 14 hole is going to get significant games for sure...if not more guys even further down the depth chart.

Normally i'd be all for Skille as the spare forward...a vet guy sitting in the press box a lot doesn't bother me one bit. And he's looked very deserving of an NHL job through camp. He's got size, he hustles, he hits, he fights, he goes to the net and he's been reasonably reliable defensively. He's exactly what you normally want in a spare forward.

But we've got a bit of a quandry with Virtanen and Gaunce both looking deserving of NHL spots...despite the fact that we'd end up with better depth if one of them was sent down waiver-exempt to Utica as another layer of depth.

Not an easy decision.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The thing with Gaunce is that long-term consistency of effort and intensity is still the biggest questionmark. He's looked good in camp though.

There is a difference between intensity and effort. They are not mutually exclusive. Gaunce is a hard worker. Always has been. Intensity is a different animal. I still see Gaunce as an NHL centre. He just needs an opportunity to establish himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad