Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Another obstacle against Gillis drafted Gaunce. Great :shakehead

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If Gaunce can't win a roster spot over Jack Skille then he doesn't deserve one. I think based on Gaunce's play last year that he definitely should make the team, but I've never been against bringing guys in on PTO's. Logically this is a good move that shouldn't hurt our young players, and provides depth at camp.

Then again with this management group logic doesn't seem to exist, so who knows what will happen.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
If Gaunce can't win a roster spot over Jack Skille then he doesn't deserve one. I think based on Gaunce's play last year that he definitely should make the team, but I've never been against bringing guys in on PTO's. Logically this is a good move that shouldn't hurt our young players, and provides depth at camp.

Gaunce was such a weird case last yr...
Rarely do you see a player have such a decent run a games and just not score.

He's gotta show a LITTLE something offensively this camp.. just a little... please... not too much to ask.

All the bones and structure of good play is there with the kid.. except results.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
meh....sounds like Benning just wants to make sure he has enough league mandated vets in pre-season games (while resting guys that are guaranteed to have a spot in the lineup).

Nothing to see......

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

He's gotta show a LITTLE something offensively this camp.. just a little... please... not too much to ask.

All the bones and structure of good play is there with the kid.. except results.

Absolutely. At the very least I'm convinced he can be a solid 4th liner. But ideally you would like to see more offense out of him. I'll chock it up to a small sample size. He was doing the right things so the results will come.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Decent set of wheels and still under 30...but can't put the puck in the ocean....If the World Cup wasn't on I'm not sure any of the guys coming in on PTO's would be here..but will probably get an exhibition game or two to try and impress someone other than the Canucks.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I can't think of too many Avs fans who disliked the guy last season. Showed some nice wheels (though don't mistake that for him having great speed or anything) and a sneaky-good wrister while playing 4th line minutes. I know that we wouldn't have minded him coming back, but the Avs apparently didn't think there was room for him with McLeod, Mitchell, Martinsen, Gabriel Bourque, Rene Bourque, and maybe JT Compher vying for spots on the team (I think Compher is good enough to start in the NHL, but he very well may start out in the AHL and not see NHL-ice until injuries hit, and I don't personally want to see Rene Bourque get a contract, but I don't make those decisions).

Best of luck to Skille.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Decent set of wheels and still under 30...but can't put the puck in the ocean....If the World Cup wasn't on I'm not sure any of the guys coming in on PTO's would be here..but will probably get an exhibition game or two to try and impress someone other than the Canucks.

8 goals is not bad at all on the 4th line tbh.

JA

These are all professional tryout contracts.

If Brendan Gaunce outperforms Jack Skille, Tuomo Ruutu, and James Sheppard, then we don't have to sign any of them.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Jeez I remember wanting the Canucks to draft Jack Skille back in 2004, and being bummed out when Chicago nabbed him early. I remember the Bill Guerin comparisons being thrown around on these boards haha

James Sheppard was another guy I wanted the following year. I remember making the comparison of the next Shane Doan with this guy:laugh:

Crazy how these guys busted so hard and they're training camp invites for The Canucks.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Gaunce should really be playing centre anyways, hopefully that weird wing experiment is over. Don't mind Skille as a PTO and competition for Etem for that 4 LW spot.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013

Honestly I would be happy if he just showed up and put in an effort every game here in Utica... not sure why people think he belongs in Vancouver....

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Honestly I would be happy if he just showed up and put in an effort every game here in Utica... not sure why people think he belongs in Vancouver....

And not sure why it's always Gaunce mentioned in these PTO threads. Zalewski is just as deserving and there is Grenier too. Gaunce needs to come to the rink and play hard every game and then when that happens how about playing hard every shift.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
And not sure why it's always Gaunce mentioned in these PTO threads. Zalewski is just as deserving and there is Grenier too. Gaunce needs to come to the rink and play hard every game and then when that happens how about playing hard every shift.

It's because of 'sunk cost fallacy'. Gaunce was a first rounder, Grenier was a 3rd rounder and Zalewski wasn't drafted. It's obviously Dim Jim's fault that Gaunce hasn't grabbed a roster spot... He's so mean to him, bringing in PTO's to make him work for a spot... :laugh:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Benning injecting some skille in his meat and taters lineup

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Couldn't agree more with my Comets' comrades. I am on record posting that I wished the Canucks would keep him because the team played better without his half ***** turn it on and turn it off style. You never knew if he would be going all out or coasting from shift to shift.

As to Z and Grenny, I can't agree more. I am on record in a slew of threads saying Zalewski is the best player of the 3 and showed it in his brief call up. Green has turned Grenier into a strong 2-way player that can do the job. That in itself proves Green's ability because Grenier was a lost cause when he and Green met in Utica for season #1

It appears the Vancouver management has made up their minds and these 3 guys are destined to remain call-ups and the search for the spot they would fill will continue outside of the organization e.g. Eriksson, Rodin, Granlund, and Etem take up spots and the rest of the forwards move around. Benning isn't cutting any of those guys loose and Gaunce is the only one who can come down without waiver concerns. We will see all three of them in Utica for game 1.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Jeez I remember wanting the Canucks to draft Jack Skille back in 2004, and being bummed out when Chicago nabbed him early. I remember the Bill Guerin comparisons being thrown around on these boards haha

James Sheppard was another guy I wanted the following year. I remember making the comparison of the next Shane Doan with this guy:laugh:

Crazy how these guys busted so hard and they're training camp invites for The Canucks.

you think kyle beach will fight pedan in camp this year?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Couldn't agree more with my Comets' comrades. I recall wishing the Canucks would keep him because the team played better without his half ***** turn it on and turn it off style. You never knew if he would be going all out or coasting from shift to shift.

As to Z and Grenny, I can't agree more. I am on record in a slew of threads saying Zalewski is the best player of the 3 and showed it in his brief call up. Green has turned Grenier into a strong 2-way player that can do the job. That in itself proves Green's ability.

It appears the Vancouver management has made up their minds and these 3 guys are destined to remain call-ups and the search for the spot they would fill will continue outside of the organization e.g. Eriksson, Rodin, Granlund, and Etem take up spots and the rest of the forwards move around. Benning isn't cutting any of those guys loose and Gaunce is the only one who can come down without waiver concerns. We will see all three of them in Utica for game 1.

I think one of the three (Gaunce, Zalewski and Grenier) make the opening day roster. My ranking would be Zalewski at 1, Grenier at 2 and Gaunce at 3 but it probably won't work out that way.

SaltyKesler

Sep 3, 2015
Vancity
It's because of 'sunk cost fallacy'. Gaunce was a first rounder, Grenier was a 3rd rounder and Zalewski wasn't drafted. It's obviously Dim Jim's fault that Gaunce hasn't grabbed a roster spot... He's so mean to him, bringing in PTO's to make him work for a spot... :laugh:

Not sure if sarcasm is in use.....

1.) Hasn't Grenier performed better at the AHL level than Gaunce? Zalewski was actually a pretty good checker and brought a physical game. I mean there's a ton of players who have passed 1st round picks despite being lower picks or even not drafted, Tampa's Triplets are all drafted outside the first round, or undrafted.

2.) That's a horrid argument, you're pretty much saying we should give him time because he's young, and not make him work and earn for something, and improve off his mistakes and why he didn't make the roster....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad